Tax credts?? why not paychecks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax credts?? why not paychecks?

so why don't I just buy a house/building and not live there and install some panels with a grid tie invertor and my neighbors just harvest the power that I make. and the power company pays me for it. not crediting me but actually getting paid like pay checks. ya know like making aroung 100-200 bucks a month just starting out.. IL or IN sounds nice.

Originally posted by b18c1355 View Post
    so why don't I just buy a house/building and not live there and install some panels with a grid tie invertor and my neighbors just harvest the power that I make. and the power company pays me for it. not crediting me but actually getting paid like pay checks. ya know like making aroung 100-200 bucks a month just starting out.. IL or IN sounds nice.

Well, most net metering plans will give you only a very much reduced price for your power if you have a surplus at the end of the one year adjustment period.
    And how will you pay the real or effective interest on the purchase of the house?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Well, most net metering plans will give you only a very much reduced price for your power if you have a surplus at the end of the one year adjustment period.
      And how will you pay the real or effective interest on the purchase of the house?
      it could be a shed for all I know. piece of land, office building, trying to start a private power company, just as long as I find the right area..

Comment

it could be a shed for all I know. piece of land, office building, trying to start a private power company, just as long as I find the right area..
        As long as you can find a utility that will pay you more for your power than it is worth, for more than 10kW output, and can also get some government subsidies, then you may have a workable business plan.
        That combination is hard to come by though. Most if not all net metering states allow POCO to put limits on the size of the system relative to local energy consumption at the same property.
        If you go larger than that you are into being an independent power producer instead of a net metering customer, and the price you get per kWh will be very low.
        Last edited by inetdog; 08-16-2015, 12:22 PM.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

There are solar farms covering several acres or more that may be profitable at this time, but such facilities usually are profitable mostly or largely due to tax beaks, gov. largess, accelerated depreciation, etc. Also, such facilities most often need economies of scale and are usually beyond the scope of most homeowners/small operators. Depending on POCO policies and tariffs, I don't think such a plan as you describe has a high probability of financial success in most service areas, but who knows ?

Comment

Working...
          X