AC Smart Chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Smart Chargers

I have a small battery bank 300ah Deka AGM's I was wondering if any one here would recommend an AC Charger to take care of these during those long periods of cloudy days? Also when I get a charger any tips on use of it?

Mike

How much do you want to spend?Here is the deal, for a solar system AC charger from generator, you do not really need a multi-stage charger. All you need is a simple Float Charger set to EQ voltage. Anything else is just wasted money because you have no use for it. On a generator you want to charge as quick as possible and EQ the batteries. Thus all you need is a single stage Float or CC//CV charger. Something really simple like they use on Lithium batteries. I would give you the links, but the Forum is Broken. So here is a quick list of really good chargers in about any size you want. NETGAINMANZANITAHF/PFC CHARGERSTCCHZIVANJinan E-ShineLesterEagleIotaSamlexJaplar SchauerJust to name a few. If 48 volts even golf cart chargers. What you have to look out for is Power Factor Correction aka PFC. It is a must when using a generator, expensive, and accept nothing less less than .9 The good ones run .95 to .99 PF. You can use cheap chargers on commercial AC just fine, but not most genny's
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      So here is a quick list of really good chargers in about any size you want. NETGAINMANZANITAHF/PFC CHARGERSTCCHZIVANJinan E-ShineLesterEagleIotaSamlexJaplar SchauerJust to name a few.
      Not what to make of these names, I've tried to make some sense of them Thanks for offering up some help! You might have to space them out or something

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Svencool View Post
        Not what to make of these names, I've tried to make some sense of them Thanks for offering up some help! You might have to space them out or something Mike
        Sorry Mike, the Forum sofitware is really screwed up. I will try again.---------NETGAIN----------MANZANITA--------------HF/PFC CHARGERS--------------TCCH-----------ZIVAN---------------Jinan E-Shine------------------Lester---------------------------Eagle-----------------------Iota---------------Samlex---------------------Japlar Schauer
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Svencool View Post
          I have a small battery bank 300ah Deka AGM's I was wondering if any one here would recommend an AC Charger to take care of these during those long periods of cloudy days? Also when I get a charger any tips on use of it?
          As you've seen there are many choices. One manufacturer that I particularly like and use is Samlex (like an SEC-1250UL) not only for it's accuracy and build quality, but also the incredibly useful and detailed documentation that goes beyond the basics should you want to go there. They are a also little more flexible than a bog-standard smart charger as it has multiple positive output rails.

Deka agm's (like most other agm's) don't like to be tickled to death with a small charger - but there is a limit of about 0.3C maximum sustained current. So, for a 300ah battery, that would be a max of 90ah. Deka advises that for the longest life, one should strive to get close to this value when recharging. However, that is under a "deep discharge" scenario that is frequently cyclic in nature.

You may be able to get by with less (and not blow breakers in the process) with something in the 50-60ah range, (about 0.1 to 0.2C) because as a wise solar user, you are not deep-cycling beyond 50% DOD.

If you are using a 12v system, then I'd be looking at say the Samlex SEC-1250UL. Splurge for the remote battery voltage probes to get very good temperature compensation.

Again, this is assuming you are running 12v/300ah capacity max - they make 24v models too if you are using that voltage.

Comment

Note, the dip switches on the samlex are already factory preset for agm/flooded, so you are good to go, but always CHECK. There is one setting of dip-switches that are FORBIDDEN. And note that you'll need to supply your own output cabling. No cheap ass clamps here. Surprisingly, the provided cable crimp terminals are of very good quality, and be sure to look for them in the box and not lose them. Old-school analog meters on the front are handy for real-world relative monitoring at a glance.

Comment

Argh - wish I could edit.

If all you are looking to do is "maintain" a nearly to already fully charged battery, then I suppose you could get by with a 30a model, say the SEC-1230UL.

Comment

Working...
              X