Which batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which batteries?

Hi, I'm looking at a new 24 volt battery bank now and there are a few options that fit my budget:
    Trojan T 105 eight of these in series/parallel which gives me 520AH
    Trojan L16P-AC 6V 420AH 4 four of these in series for 420AH
    Crown CR430 four of these in series for 430AH.
    I understand the L16P-AC can last a lot longer and is the most expensive option but with the T105 due the the greater AH's I'll be effectively discharging the bank to a lesser degree therefore gaining more cycles.
    Any idea's on this?
    Thanks,

Always opt for single string. What you gain with parallel string is lost with shorter cycle life.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Does it have to be 24V? Why not use the 8 T105s in a single 48V string?
      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
        Does it have to be 24V? Why not use the 8 T105s in a single 48V string?
        Hi, thanks for your replies. I already have a 24 volt inverter and wind generator and other items so I've planned for 24 volt.
        Cheers,

Comment

Are these battery charged by solar panels? You should get L16RE-R instead L16P-AC, I don't think the L16P-AC use the new Smart Carbon Technology. I could be wrong but the Smart Carbon is very important for use on solar application. Ask the dealer to make sure the battery has the Smart Carbon Mark on the label.

Comment

Hi, yes the bank will be charged by solar panels and a wind generator. I'm still liking the extra capacity I get from the parallel system and it's only two strings in parallel. I see if the are connected up correctly you can improve the balance. Lots of people must rung parallel batteries to get capacity up as most common batteries don't go over 500AH or so. What say you want a 1000AH bank? Do you have to get 1000AH batteries?

Comment

Originally posted by asdex View Post
              Hi, yes the bank will be charged by solar panels and a wind generator. I'm still liking the extra capacity I get from the parallel system and it's only two strings in parallel. I see if the are connected up correctly you can improve the balance. Lots of people must rung parallel batteries to get capacity up as most common batteries don't go over 500AH or so. What say you want a 1000AH bank? Do you have to get 1000AH batteries?
              As long as you are willing to use 2V or 4V batteries instead of limiting yourself to the 6V and 12V varieties which are easier to obtain, you can get the 1000AH in a single cell (or at least a single battery with multiple 2V cells paralleled internally.)

I do agree that two strings are manageable as long as you keep an eye on the voltages and SGs instead of just watching the overall bank voltage.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                As long as you are willing to use 2V or 4V batteries instead of limiting yourself to the 6V and 12V varieties which are easier to obtain, you can get the 1000AH in a single cell (or at least a single battery with multiple 2V cells paralleled internally.)

I do agree that two strings are manageable as long as you keep an eye on the voltages and SGs instead of just watching the overall bank voltage.
                Hi Thanks, will go with the parallel and try to keep the connections as low resistance as possible. Had a quick look at 2 volt batteries and in NZ only found these:
                VISION 2v 1000AH Deep Cycle Battery CL1000 at $990 each so I would need $9,900 worth. The 500AH are $510 each but even at $5,100 I can get two sets of 8x Trojan T 105 plus an extra two. Would the 2 volt last twice as long?
                Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by asdex View Post
                  .... Would the 2 volt last twice as long?
                  Cheers,
                  Probably not, but there is always the big variable of how you care for them.
                  You can sometimes get a relative idea by the warranty that the manufacturer offers. But that should include both calendar time and number of cycles to be a good indicator.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
                  X