Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick K
    • Jul 2015

Solar Exhaust Fan Question

I'll start by apologizing in advance if I'm asking a stupid question. I know almost nothing about solar power or electricity. I'm trying to build a solar exhaust fan to pull some hot and humid air out of a shipping container. I could go and buy a fan to do the trick but, where's the fun in that? Anyway, I found a waterproof panel that puts out 12 volts, 5 watts and if my math is right, about .4 amps. But, finding a solar panel and fan that match exactly has been difficult. So, if I use a fan that is 12 volts, 3.6 watts and .3 amps, will it work? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Rick K
    I'll start by apologizing in advance if I'm asking a stupid question. I know almost nothing about solar power or electricity. I'm trying to build a solar exhaust fan to pull some hot and humid air out of a shipping container. I could go and buy a fan to do the trick but, where's the fun in that? Anyway, I found a waterproof panel that puts out 12 volts, 5 watts and if my math is right, about .4 amps. But, finding a solar panel and fan that match exactly has been difficult. So, if I use a fan that is 12 volts, 3.6 watts and .3 amps, will it work? Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    There are vent fans/panel combos. check one out for ideas/sizes. Or just buy one. Do you know the anticipated heat gain of the hooch you're trying to keep cool(er) ?

Comment

• Rick K
      • Jul 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      There are vent fans/panel combos. check one out for ideas/sizes. Or just buy one. Do you know the anticipated heat gain of the hooch you're trying to keep cool(er) ?
      I'm not sure what heat gain means. I've seen the pre-made systems for sale but there isn't much info on them. Mostly, I just want to play around with setting up something myself. At some point, when I get this container set up, I will be putting in a solar set up with a battery bank. Just big enough to run a few lights and charge my electronic stuff at night. So, if I just happen to learn a bit through this project, it will be a good thing.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

I'm not sure what heat gain means. I've seen the pre-made systems for sale but there isn't much info on them. Mostly, I just want to play around with setting up something myself. At some point, when I get this container set up, I will be putting in a solar set up with a battery bank. Just big enough to run a few lights and charge my electronic stuff at night. So, if I just happen to learn a bit through this project, it will be a good thing.
        Fans are usually installed for the purpose of removing heat from a space as you write. That heat may come from inside the space - cooking, using hot H2O, appliance heat, etc., or from the outside - high outside ambient temp. or solar radiation. Whether from inside or outside the sum of those sources of heat is known as the heat gain of the room or structure. Removing that heat gain is one purpose of vent fans. To size a fan correctly, and not waste resources, some idea of the heat gain is usually necessary. Hence my question.

Comment

• Rick K
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          Fans are usually installed for the purpose of removing heat from a space as you write. That heat may come from inside the space - cooking, using hot H2O, appliance heat, etc., or from the outside - high outside ambient temp. or solar radiation. Whether from inside or outside the sum of those sources of heat is known as the heat gain of the room or structure. Removing that heat gain is one purpose of vent fans. To size a fan correctly, and not waste resources, some idea of the heat gain is usually necessary. Hence my question.
          The source of the heat I would like removed is from the heat outside baking the the metal container. Keeping the temperature outside closer to the temperature inside is going to cut down on the condensation that builds up in the container. However, what I'm trying to find out is if a solar panel that puts out 12 volts, 5 watts and if my math is right, about .4 amps is compatible with a fan that runs on 12 volts, 3.6 watts and .3 amps.

Thanks.

Comment

• Rick K
            • Jul 2015

"what I'm trying to find out is if a solar panel that puts out 12 volts, 5 watts and if my math is right, about .4 amps is compatible with a fan that runs on 12 volts, 3.6 watts and .3 amps."

As it turns out, the fan and panel work perfectly together. I'll update this thread if there is a fire.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

"what I'm trying to find out is if a solar panel that puts out 12 volts, 5 watts and if my math is right, about .4 amps is compatible with a fan that runs on 12 volts, 3.6 watts and .3 amps."

As it turns out, the fan and panel work perfectly together. I'll update this thread if there is a fire.
              Just keep an eye on the fan to make sure it does not over speed should that panel produce much more than .3 amps.

Comment

Working...