X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hammick
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2015

Neutral/ground bonding question in off grid system

I am going to install a Schneider Conex SW4048 system in an off grid garage I am building. I had the builder put in a grounding wire (tied into the rebar under the slab) on one side of the garage and now it looks like I will be installing my inverter on the opposite side. I plan to install a 240v AC subpanel on the side with the ground. Can I float the neutral in the Scheider AC panel connected to the 4048 inverter and bond the neutral and ground busses in the subpanel? Or is this asking for trouble because the path to ground will be too far away? My ground source will be about a 60 foot wire run from the inverter.

Assuming I can safely do this won't the 240v run to the subpanel provide a path to ground for the inverter AC panel (and everything else that needs to be grounded like the PV panels)?

I am completely off grid and not subject to any inspections but I also want a safe system.

Thanks.
    Conext XW5548
    Conext MPPT60-150
  • hammick
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2015

OK I studied the install instructions for the SW4048 and also the Midnight Solar E Panel. Neither have the neutral bonded to ground. Then it occurred to me that the 4048 can also be grid tied in which case the main house panel would be bonded. Seems to me I have no choice but to bond the neutral to ground at my sub-panel.
    Conext XW5548
    Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• hammick
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2015

Midnight solar has great instructions. They explain the neutral bonding issue. Schneider doesn't mention anything. See below.

"Neutral and ground must be tied together and at only one place. This is normally at the service
      entrance. For an off grid system this can be done in the E-Panel. Local inspectors may want this
      bond to be at another location such as a distribution panel. This will work just as well."
      Conext XW5548
      Conext MPPT60-150

Comment

• thastinger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2012

I doubt you'll get many specific answers to electrical wiring questions here other than what the NEC says. There is a solar specific section of that now.
        1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Working...