Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill SEPA
    • Jul 2015

How to add more PV? 200 Amp Mains panel with 4.6KW PV on circuit breaker

I want to add 6.6KW of additional panels to a grid tie set up that already has 4.6KW connected through the Main panel (200amp) via a 40amp circuit breaker. One installer proposed connecting on the Load side or line side, which he explained would not be in the panel box or have a circuit breaker? Is this safe? What are the down sides? how do I learn more about this type of set up.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Originally posted by Bill SEPA
    I want to add 6.6KW of additional panels to a grid tie set up that already has 4.6KW connected through the Main panel (200amp) via a 40amp circuit breaker. One installer proposed connecting on the Load side or line side, which he explained would not be in the panel box or have a circuit breaker? Is this safe? What are the down sides? how do I learn more about this type of set up.
    Hello Bill and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

What you are saying doesnt sound right, (but I am in Australia and rules and regs are different) at the very least I would ask your local POCO, as I think unless you got approval for the larger system at the start, I think there will be additional paperwork and processes to go through. Someone should pop in that knows a bit more at some stage. I think we will need more info from you like where are you and maybe more specs of the system. We have had some technical issues so it may be a bit longer than usual, cheers

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bill SEPA
      What inverters might you use for 6.6 + 4.6KW? String or micros? Does your PoCo contract
      cover the situation?

There is a belt & suspenders rule that the inverter feed in breaker can't be more than 20%
      of the main breaker, so the total current can't overheat a section of busbars by ADDING
      TOGETHER with a heavy load applied. AND that the inverter feed in breaker must be at the
      opposite end of the bus bars from the main breaker, so that the 2 sources CAN'T ADD
      TOGETHER feeding heavy loads. Bruce Roe

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

To do a standard load-side tap, the backfeed rule in the NEC says your solar backfeed cannot be more than 20% of the busbar size plus whatever difference there may be between the busbar size and the main breaker. For a 200A service (usually the size of the main breaker and the busbar), this means your backfeed breaker is a maximum of 40A and the inverter max output current is 40 x 80% = 32A (or 7.7kW). To go more than this you have four options:
        1) Upgrade the panel to 400A (which is really two 200A busbars - one of which you would dedicate to solar).
        2) Do a line-side tap before the main breaker. (which very few service panels are listed for and requires a separate permit to get the utility out to interrupt the service)
        3) Install a new meter socket product that backfeeds the solar power through it. (very new, and I'm not sure its available yet)
        4) Derate the panel by putting in a smaller main breaker. (many panels don't have main breakers in say a 175A size, you need to prove to your AHJ that it can handle your loads by doing a code approved load analysis and it requires a separate permit to shut your power down while it is installed). A 175A main gives you 25A more backfeed. 25A + 40A = 65A x 80% = 52A x 240Vac = 12.5kW of inverters.

You need a competent installer to not muck this up.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• peakbagger
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2010

The local utility in my area got burned by solar installers making line sized taps inside the meter enclosure. They insist that the line size tap be installed in a completely separate enclosure downstream of the meter.

A competent electrician apparently should know better but shortcuts get taken.

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

A line side tsp is very common.
            Also as others have said defeating the main breaker also works.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• skipro3
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2015

Just derate the panel from 200 watt to 150 watt by replacing the main breaker with a 150 amp breaker. It will pass code inspection and most important, it is safe.

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Naptown
                derating the main breaker is what Naptown meant.
                I'm sure it was a typo/autocorrect.

(Hopefully no one read that and thought it really should be "defeating" - because defeating a main breaker is obviously just a bad idea.)

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by foo1bar
                  derating the main breaker is what Naptown meant.
                  I'm sure it was a typo/autocorrect.

(Hopefully no one read that and thought it really should be "defeating" - because defeating a main breaker is obviously just a bad idea.)
                  I would certainly like to know how to DEFEAT this thing that keeps changing what I type
                  without my permission. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Bill SEPA
                    • Jul 2015

WOW. Thanks for the information everybody.

To answer the question about the inverters. The 4.6KW system uses an SMA Sunny Boy 5000 and has been working great for 5 years so far. The proposed 6.6 system will use an SMA Sunny Boy 7000.

The more I read here the more I learn. I just don't want to burn down the house by overloading what I already have. I will talk to the installer again to be sure there is an understanding about that.

SO, the question becomes......Would you upgrade to a 400 amp panel or do a line side connection? I will start a new thread with that question to comply with standard forum protocal.

Thanks again everybody.

Comment

• Naptown
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Naptown
                      A line side tsp is very common.
                      Yes I meant de rate
                      Dam autocorrect
                      NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...