New Guy With Solar Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
    That charger only put out 1.25 amps, it can't charge the battery, it only maintain the fully charged battery remain full. it don't have any use for your case.
    I am also interested in what charger I might get for my Smarter Tools Inverter Generator (1600w continuous) and so did a search to see. I found a thread on the other solar group that humbled me considerably. It seems that I have a lot to learn about a facet of solar/battery that I did not know existed!

I have time to research it, but don't have a grasp yet to the point that I can help the OP with it. Here is what I found.

When I said that my inverter charger (Smarter Tools 1600/2000) puts out 1600/12 = 133 amps, that was naïve. First of all, it is probably more like 1500 / 14.4 to account for charging voltage = 104. However there are also other factors. Because the output is sine wave, some cheaper chargers cut off the waveform and throw away massive amounts of it... maybe 40%. Those cheap chargers have what is called a Power Factor (PF) of only 60%. Then there is another line item on the spec called efficiency. Good ones are 90%+ and bad ones are done below 80%.

So a bad case would be 104 * .60 PF * .80 Eff = 50 amps. So it leaves much les headroom for running other things.

Then there is the efficiency of the generator in terms of fuel efficiency. Most generators don't get as good performance at the very high ranges of their rated output.

I cannot recommend any particular brand of charger for this application, but I am hoping someone else can, not just for the OP but because it fits into my future planning.

Comment

There are many automobile charger will do the work. It don't make sense to spend big money to buy the 3 or 4 stage charger using the generator unless you plan to use commercial power to do the complete 3 stage cycle. We always recommended use the generator to charge the battery bank to 80-85% SOC so the solar will do the absorb part of the charge.

The only thing to look for is the name brand and the build quality of these automobile chargers. some last longer and some not. also every brand do has lemon in it too. the heavy wheel cart one do last longer than the new transformerless in my opinion, The OP could easily buy one 30 amps 12 volts automobile charger from Amazon or the auto parts dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
        There are many automobile charger will do the work. It don't make sense to spend big money to buy the 3 or 4 stage charger using the generator unless you plan to use commercial power to do the complete 3 stage cycle. We always recommended use the generator to charge the battery bank to 80-85% SOC so the solar will do the absorb part of the charge.

The only thing to look for is the name brand and the build quality of these automobile chargers. some last longer and some not. also every brand do has lemon in it too. the heavy wheel cart one do last longer than the new transformerless in my opinion, The OP could easily buy one 30 amps 12 volts automobile charger from Amazon or the auto parts dealer.
        When you say "commercial power" does that include generator power? The reason I ask is that my particular plans are staged, and I may never get to stage 3.

1) Use Inverter Generator with manual transfer switch for power outages.
        2) Add battery backup with battery charger and inverter to use with manual transfer switch at night.
        3) Add solar panels and CC in the event I want my backup system to handle long term outages.

So, if I find that I want to add the expense of batteries, I would think that the three stage charger would be preferred. After all, I need to be able to both charge the batteries properly to install them but also maintain them in float most of the time.

Comment

The reason off grid people don't use 3 stage charger is it take too long to absorb charge the battery bank, there is not enough solar time to complete the charge cycle most of the time, even with generator it is not financially economical do so.

For lights when the power down, I used to use a 1200VA UPS with 2 100 amps 12volts truck battery. it last me quite sometime in the night, the UPS has the charger and maintain the battery. I don't see the reason to use an inverter and battery bank If you don't use any heavy draw equipment.

Comment

OK. I would have replied sooner but just upgraded my phone and for some reson it wouldn't let me on the site.
            Tried the Battery Tender Plus on Friday night even tho in the manual it said for batteries 0-200 ah. I have 245 ah batteries. But I was there and tried it anyway. Now the batteries had all week to charge. The meter on the charge controller and on my Fluke meter both read that the batteries were at 12.7-12.8. The inverter should work right? No ot did not. Not at all all weekend. Turn it on and instantly alarms. I put the charge on it and checked it 2 hours later. Showed the batteries were at 13.4. Tried it again and alarmed again. Thinking the Cen Tech HF inverter is junk. Anyway, the charger at 2 hours was working to charge the batteries but was almost too hot to touch. Was going to leave it on all night with the generator but this worried me so it will be used for the quads. I checked the acid in the batteries that someone asked about and got 1275 in 4 and 1255 in 2 of the 6 cells. All good there. I used the 12v lights that came with the HF panels kit and they stayed on Saturday night into Sunday morning. (Love those lights)(nice and bright) Hate to take them back with the panels. The batteries were at 12.7 and after 8 hours of having both on it was at 12.6. Yet still today before I left the inverter still alarms even when the this was at 14.1 in the sun.
            Visited a friend of mine on the mountain today. He has a Renogy 200 watt panel kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renogy-Solar...item4181c2b631 Has it since last year and has no problems. Runs a small led flatscreen and lights all weekend. Thinking of ordering this and a smaller inverter. My tv btw is a 32 inch tube tv and it is 101 watt no more than 1 amp it said on the back. So with that and a few led lights I think I should have gotten more than 6 hours out of the batteries right?
            Now, is it ok to plug my entire cabin into the inverter? Thats the way I have it hooked up. I'm figuring maybe 200 ft of 12-2 wire in the walls. Its split into 2 circuits. I have a recepticle that I ran from the generator house and the cabin is hooked to 2 plugs. I either plug into the generator recepticle or the inverter. Like I said, the biggest thing is the tv plugged in. The rest is either led lighting or phone chargers and vape chargers.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
              OK. I would have replied sooner but just upgraded my phone and for some reson it wouldn't let me on the site.
              Tried the Battery Tender Plus on Friday night even tho in the manual it said for batteries 0-200 ah. I have 245 ah batteries. But I was there and tried it anyway. Now the batteries had all week to charge. The meter on the charge controller and on my Fluke meter both read that the batteries were at 12.7-12.8. The inverter should work right? No ot did not. Not at all all weekend. Turn it on and instantly alarms. I put the charge on it and checked it 2 hours later. Showed the batteries were at 13.4. Tried it again and alarmed again. Thinking the Cen Tech HF inverter is junk. Anyway, the charger at 2 hours was working to charge the batteries but was almost too hot to touch. Was going to leave it on all night with the generator but this worried me so it will be used for the quads. I checked the acid in the batteries that someone asked about and got 1275 in 4 and 1255 in 2 of the 6 cells. All good there. I used the 12v lights that came with the HF panels kit and they stayed on Saturday night into Sunday morning. (Love those lights)(nice and bright) Hate to take them back with the panels. The batteries were at 12.7 and after 8 hours of having both on it was at 12.6. Yet still today before I left the inverter still alarms even when the this was at 14.1 in the sun.
              Visited a friend of mine on the mountain today. He has a Renogy 200 watt panel kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renogy-Solar...item4181c2b631 Has it since last year and has no problems. Runs a small led flatscreen and lights all weekend. Thinking of ordering this and a smaller inverter. My tv btw is a 32 inch tube tv and it is 101 watt no more than 1 amp it said on the back. So with that and a few led lights I think I should have gotten more than 6 hours out of the batteries right?
              Now, is it ok to plug my entire cabin into the inverter? Thats the way I have it hooked up. I'm figuring maybe 200 ft of 12-2 wire in the walls. Its split into 2 circuits. I have a recepticle that I ran from the generator house and the cabin is hooked to 2 plugs. I either plug into the generator recepticle or the inverter. Like I said, the biggest thing is the tv plugged in. The rest is either led lighting or phone chargers and vape chargers.
              The battery tender may work on batteries up to 200ah but that would be for maintaining a charge, "tending the batteries" and not charging them from a discharged state. Also, remember that your TV is 1 amp at 120 volts, which would be 10 amps at 12 volts. Can't help you with the inverter alarm. What batteries does your friend have? The panels and batteries need to be balanced.

Comment

Not sure what batteries he has. 12 volt not 6 volt. Thats all I know and he gets used ones somewhere.
                Whats the difference between Moly and Ploy Crystalline panels?

Comment

I'm going to pick up a different charger also.

Comment

I have this inverter for two years now an work perfect for me. I had to change the GFCI socket because ants get in there and damage the plug. other than that the inverter working 24/7 for almost two years still going strong.
                    http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-806-12...=prowatts+1000

Comment

OK. I guess I'll go one question at a time since I am not getting answers when I put my novels out there. lol

Can I plug in my entire cabin into an inverter? Its mentioned earlier but there is estimated 200 ft of 12-2 wire running thru the walls.

Comment

OK. I guess I'll go one question at a time since I am not getting answers when I put my novels out there. lol

Can I plug in my entire cabin into an inverter? Its mentioned earlier but there is estimated 200 ft of 12-2 wire running thru the walls.
                        I am not an electrician but I will tell you my plans for my grid connected cabin. It was wired by an electrician for 110/220 using rodent proof metal conduit throughout. I also have a surge suppressor. On Friday an electrician will install my manual transfer switch for use with my portable generator. If I get a battery bank and inverter I can power the cabin through the same switch.

Comment

Should be O.K. as long as you don't exceed the capabilities of the inverter, or the wire (about 20a for 12 guage), that length of run(s) will be okay with the 110v from inverter, just don't try and run 12v loads directly through the long in wall runs or the voltage drop will be fairly large and possibly cause you other problems.

Comment

Yeah. I'm only going to be using a few led lights, tv and maybe a stereo. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah. I'm only going to be using a few led lights, tv and maybe a stereo. Thanks.
                              My stereo has a 150 watt amp plus tuner and equalizer. Probably close to 300 watts total. Some of the old TV's are easily rated 200 watts. So don't minimize your watt hour assumptions or you can overload and inverter or kill a battery system quickly.

Comment

I checked the tv and its 101 watt/1 amp max. I also have a dewalt radio/stereo. Thats not much.

Comment

Working...
                                X