X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe
    True, and perhaps a good learning experience, before spending BIG BUCKS on a
    really capable system. Anybody want some slightly used Horrible Fright panels?
    Bruce Roe
    My guess is that some of the ones you DIY are better producers then those HF panels.

Comment

• thastinger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2012

OP, have you calculated you actual demand? We can't help you design a system that is going to meet your needs until we know what your needs actually are. Buy a "kill-a-watt" meter and log your loads running from it for the period of time you expect to run them in your cabin, once we have that info we can proceed.

Also, read through the sticky section in the off-grid section of this board.
      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• Crazy Diamond
        • Jul 2015

First, what is OP? Second, I was told I would get like 50 hours from those batteries using my tv and a few lights. Like I said, they are all led lights. The tv is a 32 inch tube. Not sure of the wattage. I bought a 1500/3000 watt inverter thinking in case I needed that much. If I turned all my lights and tv on (estimating my tv in 200 watts) I would only be around 500 watts total. That is what I was told that I would be getting 50 hrs of battery life from. So I figured I'm not going to have the inverter on all weekend. Just from dark to light with some occasional daytime tv. Thats why I bought the panels thinking they would have all week to charge. What if I bought a 1000/2000 watt inverter of maybe a 750/1500 watt inverter and returned the panels and bought the 100 Watt panels instead? I didn't know the inverter used that much power just being on.
        Heres what I thought I could do. I wanted to run the tv for an hour or 3 at night, maybe watch a dvd, and have a 14 watt spotlight outside and one or two led lamps inside. Basically powering my whole cabin like I did with my Honda 2000 watt generator without using the gas. I would turn my gen on at dark and run it until the morning just so we had the tv and light. 2-3 gallons of Medium Grade gas a weekend. The cost of what I bought I was told would pay for itself in 6-8 months.
        I am planning on buying 12 volt strip lights. You know the ones that come on the roll with the self adhesive. I bought a roll to install some inside lights in my side by side. Super bright. I hooked a 25 ft roll up to a dead quad battery and they ran for 2 weeks straight until the battery finally crapped out. I can run 100 ft inside and 100 ft outside my cabin and light up the whole place. That shouldn't even run them down if all I'm looking for is light right?

Comment

• Crazy Diamond
          • Jul 2015

BTW, thanks so far.

Comment

• Crazy Diamond
            • Jul 2015

What if I bought this kit instead?

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
              First, what is OP? Second, I was told I would get like 50 hours from those batteries using my tv and a few lights. Like I said, they are all led lights. The tv is a 32 inch tube. Not sure of the wattage. I bought a 1500/3000 watt inverter thinking in case I needed that much. If I turned all my lights and tv on (estimating my tv in 200 watts) I would only be around 500 watts total. That is what I was told that I would be getting 50 hrs of battery life from. So I figured I'm not going to have the inverter on all weekend. Just from dark to light with some occasional daytime tv. Thats why I bought the panels thinking they would have all week to charge. What if I bought a 1000/2000 watt inverter of maybe a 750/1500 watt inverter and returned the panels and bought the 100 Watt panels instead? I didn't know the inverter used that much power just being on. Heres what I thought I could do. I wanted to run the tv for an hour or 3 at night, maybe watch a dvd, and have a 14 watt spotlight outside and one or two led lamps inside. Basically powering my whole cabin like I did with my Honda 2000 watt generator without using the gas. I would turn my gen on at dark and run it until the morning just so we had the tv and light. 2-3 gallons of Medium Grade gas a weekend. The cost of what I bought I was told would pay for itself in 6-8 months. I am planning on buying 12 volt strip lights. You know the ones that come on the roll with the self adhesive. I bought a roll to install some inside lights in my side by side. Super bright. I hooked a 25 ft roll up to a dead quad battery and they ran for 2 weeks straight until the battery finally crapped out. I can run 100 ft inside and 100 ft outside my cabin and light up the whole place. That shouldn't even run them down if all I'm looking for is light right?
              OP is a short way of saying "Original Poster" of this thread.

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

I see in the fine print, the controller is for a positive around system. Does that work
                for you? Bruce Roe

Comment

• almac
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                  With 1750watts of panels you run the risk of charging that 150Ah battery bank way too fast even at 48volts. Which would be around C/4.
                  they are marine batteries, the cop a max of 30-35amps (after cable losses) or c/5 , not too much for marine batteries

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by almac
                    they are marine batteries, the cop a max of 30-35amps (after cable losses) or c/5 , not too much for marine batteries
                    If you say so. They are your batteries so what ever works for you.

Comment

• lkruper
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2015

If these are Flooded Lead Acid batteries, then C/5 is too high. Marine is a generic term that is usually a battery which is designed to perform acceptably for either starting or cycle, but does not excel at either.

If the battery is an AGM battery then there is a good chance that it can take that high of a charge, but you would need to look at the usage guide published by that manufacturer.

Until you find out, wear goggles

Comment

• Crazy Diamond
                        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
                        I see in the fine print, the controller is for a positive around system. Does that work
                        for you? Bruce Roe
                        Would this work in my cabin? I thought that only matters in a vehicle.

And I wish we could keep on my original post. What you guys are talking about I have no clue of.

Or how about my last comment? Or both. Need help here.

Thanks

Comment

• almac
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by lkruper
                          If these are Flooded Lead Acid batteries, then C/5 is too high. Marine is a generic term that is usually a battery which is designed to perform acceptably for either starting or cycle, but does not excel at either.

If the battery is an AGM battery then there is a good chance that it can take that high of a charge, but you would need to look at the usage guide published by that manufacturer.

Until you find out, wear goggles
                          noticed that the batteries only get warm and start boiling with a voltage at around 15.5v for a 12v battery. massive amp loads dont seem to make them warm because they charge up fast then the amp load drops rapidly so they dont have time to get warm. anyway, would'nt a boat engine dump a big charge on a marine battery to recharge them quickly?

Comment

• thastinger
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Oct 2012

First, what is OP? Second, I was told I would get like 50 hours from those batteries using my tv and a few lights. Like I said, they are all led lights. The tv is a 32 inch tube. Not sure of the wattage. I bought a 1500/3000 watt inverter thinking in case I needed that much. If I turned all my lights and tv on (estimating my tv in 200 watts) I would only be around 500 watts total. That is what I was told that I would be getting 50 hrs of battery life from. So I figured I'm not going to have the inverter on all weekend. Just from dark to light with some occasional daytime tv. Thats why I bought the panels thinking they would have all week to charge. What if I bought a 1000/2000 watt inverter of maybe a 750/1500 watt inverter and returned the panels and bought the 100 Watt panels instead? I didn't know the inverter used that much power just being on.
                            Heres what I thought I could do. I wanted to run the tv for an hour or 3 at night, maybe watch a dvd, and have a 14 watt spotlight outside and one or two led lamps inside. Basically powering my whole cabin like I did with my Honda 2000 watt generator without using the gas. I would turn my gen on at dark and run it until the morning just so we had the tv and light. 2-3 gallons of Medium Grade gas a weekend. The cost of what I bought I was told would pay for itself in 6-8 months.
                            I am planning on buying 12 volt strip lights. You know the ones that come on the roll with the self adhesive. I bought a roll to install some inside lights in my side by side. Super bright. I hooked a 25 ft roll up to a dead quad battery and they ran for 2 weeks straight until the battery finally crapped out. I can run 100 ft inside and 100 ft outside my cabin and light up the whole place. That shouldn't even run them down if all I'm looking for is light right?
                            Don't read this as rude because I'm not trying to be...but none of this helps or matters. What you were told is obviously wrong or you wouldn't be here asking for help.

You need to sit down and actually calculate your loads, not guess. There is a spreadsheet in the off-grid section where you plug it all in and it spits out a number for you. We need that number in order to help you.

I.E.
                            TV - 50W x 3hrs = 150W
                            resting inverter - 5w x 24 hrs = 120w
                            lights - 50w x 4hrs = 200w

So if the total comes out to .5Kwh per day you then need to find you sun insolation hours for the worst month of the year that the system will be in use. Probably Jan if you're going to use the cabin in Winter, and design the system for that month.
                            1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• lkruper
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2015

noticed that the batteries only get warm and start boiling with a voltage at around 15.5v for a 12v battery. massive amp loads dont seem to make them warm because they charge up fast then the amp load drops rapidly so they dont have time to get warm. anyway, would'nt a boat engine dump a big charge on a marine battery to recharge them quickly?
                              It depends how they charge, but just like in an RV they can use the alternator, and the amps to the battery depends on the size of the alternator, what else is consuming power, and how efficient the wiring is between the alternator and battery, etc.

So one cannot assume that "marine" batteries like a massive charge. What kind of batteries do you have and can you find a user guide?

Comment

• cmclane28
                                • Jul 2015

... I was told I would get like 50 hours from those batteries using my tv and a few lights. Like I said, they are all led lights. The tv is a 32 inch tube. Not sure of the wattage. I bought a 1500/3000 watt inverter thinking in case I needed that much. If I turned all my lights and tv on (estimating my tv in 200 watts) I would only be around 500 watts total. That is what I was told that I would be getting 50 hrs of battery life from. So I figured I'm not going to have the inverter on all weekend. Just from dark to light with some occasional daytime tv. Thats why I bought the panels thinking they would have all week to charge. What if I bought a 1000/2000 watt inverter of maybe a 750/1500 watt inverter and returned the panels and bought the 100 Watt panels instead? I didn't know the inverter used that much power just being on.
                                Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it doesn't make sense to me that running your tube TV and a few lights would last on those batteries for 50 hours. Assuming your tv and lights use about 240 watts together you might get that load to last about 12 hrs max, which would take your batteries down to nothing and sentence them to a short lifespan . Even if the batteries were only run down to 50%, the panels that you have would take over 30 sunlight hours to recharge.

The only way I could see those batteries lasting 50 hours would be if you only ran 55 watts on them continuously. If you can, I'd definitely return the HF panels and get the Renogy kit instead. At least you'd cut your recharge time by half and give you double the power during the day while you are there.

Comment

Working...