X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkruper
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
    OK. So now what if I add another 2 batteries and 1 more 100 watt panel?
    Double the batteries, double the capacity. But panels are more complicated. You need to calculate how much sunlight you get at your location which will vary widely based on season. Also, there is the orientation of the panels as well as the type of charge controller you use.

Comment

• cmclane28
      • Jul 2015

OK. So now what if I add another 2 batteries and 1 more 100 watt panel?
      I've only caught the tail end of this discussion, but based on what I've read so far if you want to just keep the existing 2 batteries (6v x 2 in series = 12v @245Ah) I would go with at least 2 more panels so you'll have at least 400 watts of theoretical output capability. That will theoretically charge your batteries at 33A (much lower actually due to losses). If you only go with 1 more panel that's still not enough to put back what you are taking out of the bank. If you want to add 2 more batteries then I'd go with at least 4 more panels so you'd have at least a 600 watt theoretical output with 50A of charging capability (again lower in reality). You typically want your Amps of charging capability to be somewhere around 10 - 12% of the battery bank's Ah rating. If you have a 245Ah bank then you'd want the charge controller to be able to put out about 24 - 30A so that means at least 4 panels. If you double your batteries and then have a 490Ah bank you'll want the charge controller(s) to put out about 49 - 55A so you'd want at least 6 panels.

Comment

• Crazy Diamond
        • Jul 2015

So my batteries are big enough I just need more charging power?

Comment

• cmclane28
          • Jul 2015

So my batteries are big enough I just need more charging power?
          Ultimately it really depends on what happens with your actual daily watt hour usage, but to start I'd say you could try keeping the batteries you have and just get 2 more panels. If you find later, however, that you are using more than you expected or your system just isn't putting out as much as you anticipated, or both, you'll want to get 2 more batteries and at least 2 more panels for a total of 6.

Comment

• Naptown
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by cmclane28
            Ultimately it really depends on what happens with your actual daily watt hour usage, but to start I'd say you could try keeping the batteries you have and just get 2 more panels. If you find later, however, that you are using more than you expected or your system just isn't putting out as much as you anticipated, or both, you'll want to get 2 more batteries and at least 2 more panels for a total of 6.
            A mighty expensive way to go
            He could end up replacing a lot of equipment that way.
            Better to plan then buy than attempt to add on. Of course it may already be too late.
            NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• cmclane28
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Naptown
              A mighty expensive way to go
              He could end up replacing a lot of equipment that way.
              Better to plan then buy than attempt to add on. Of course it may already be too late.
              Agreed. It is much better to do extensive research and planning before buying anything. Just trying to get him going without spending too much unnecessarily. But to your point, without well thought out planning you may end up spending more than you needed to in the long run.

Comment

• Crazy Diamond
                • Jul 2015

There is a calculator on Renogy's website that I found and I over estimated my usage. It said 245 ah battery and 3 100 watt panels would be ok. I'm going to see what happens in the next couple weeks once I get my new batteries.

By the way. My location is Sweet Valley PA 18656 and I'm at 2255 ft.

Also, thanks for the help. Much appreciated. If anymore of my questions can be answered that works for me too.

I'm no scientist but can build things and I just want to be able to not listen to a generator running when I am far from the city noise. This is all new to me and am doing the best I can with what info is fed to me.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Working...