Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hartman96
    • Jul 2015

Welding solar

I am steting up a shop and would like it to be off grid. I am fairly new to the solar scene and do not know what i would need to run a small welder, or if it would even be possible.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds I would like to run something like this.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

PV Welder?

Originally posted by hartman96
    I am steting up a shop and would like it to be off grid. I am fairly new to the solar scene and do not know what i would need to run a small welder, or if it would even be possible. 115-Volt-70-Amp-Stick-Welder
    I would like to run something like this.
    A welder drawing huge power surges at very low duty cycle, is about the worst
    possible match to a solar source, which supplies limited energy all day. To weld
    anytime would require at least a large battery, and a solar system to keep it
    charged; that includes a generator and a lot of babysitting. The cost of all that
    might be a lot less, and non reoccurring, to just get power to the shop.

The cheapest & most straightforward way to weld would be either gas or a
    gasoline engine powered electric welder. Maybe a modest solar system could
    supply lights and even charge some battery operated power tools.

Welding directly from (large) batteries is possible, and some commercial units
    might be available. If the bulk and cost of one of these was acceptable, you
    could use PV panels to keep it charged. This would be far more efficient than
    inverting battery DC to AC and then converting it to DC again in the welder.

In theory, you might wire a couple panels in series to get 7A at 70VDC. Then
    paralleling up to a dozen more such sets would give you 80A at 70V, at noon if
    the sun was perfect. So you could build up a very time limited welder, with PV
    panels that were wasted at any other time.
    good luck, Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

All I can say is good luck and save your money for a real portable diesel powered welder. You throw that money away on solar is a big black hole never to be seen again. Better off saving it for a portable welder.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...