Need help to work off grid and use a rock crusher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
    It would be cool if we could figure it out, but perhaps an experiment is the only way. My understanding is limited, but I was assuming that the only role of the battery was to handle the start up surges and perhaps momentary voltage drops from clouds, etc. However since the OP specified when the sun was shining, we can eliminate the clouds. If a motor runs at 500 watts but surges to 1500 watts for 1 second at startup, then the amps drawn from the battery would not require a large AH reservoir. At least that is my idealistic way of viewing it.
    Well a 1 hp motor on paper is rated about 750watts. The starting inrush current can be 8 times running current (6000watts) which is high but without a "soft" start it will be more than 3 times (2250watts) the running load.

So again what can the inverter handle in motor starting and how low can the battery voltage dip before the inverter shuts down. Also does the motor only start "once" per day or is it being cycled based on the amount of rock it is crushing.

Have you ever listened to a wood chipper. They run nice and smooth without any wood going through it but gets real load when you stick a big stick in in and will change pitch based on the size of each piece of wood it is working on at any time. Does this rock crusher work the same way or will it start and run at a constant speed no matter what type or how much rock it has to digest?

Again. Too many variables to give a good answer on battery size. Those variables include the amount of sunlight hitting the panels each day and will degradation of the panels reduce the amount needed to start that motor?

Comment

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
      It would be cool if we could figure it out, but perhaps an experiment is the only way.
      I think anyone taking this seriously would not propose a Harbor Freight AC motor, but rather, a DC motor that could run directly off batteries. However, I don't see how a 1 HP motor can do anything productive crushing rocks, as Solarix pointed out.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
        Can you live with only running under good sun?
        My opinion is try to build something without batteries or inverters. Test that crusher
        with that AC motor and a generator; see if its up to the job.

If the answer is yes, find a 1hp DC motor and build up a PV panel array of suitable
        voltage & power to run it. A multiple orientation array like this one provides 20 hp
        for much of the day under strong sun; you could scale it down to about 1/10th
        for 2 hp DC, at least 1 hp at the shaft. Bruce Roe
        Because he is there to crush the rocks, he can build a manual turning tracking system, put six panels on a metal frame and install on a 6 inches metal pipe and turn the array to the sun during the day.

Comment

so what would i need to run dc motor ? this is what i am looking at getting

Can you live with only running under good sun?
          My opinion is try to build something without batteries or inverters. Test that crusher
          with that AC motor and a generator; see if its up to the job.

If the answer is yes, find a 1hp DC motor and build up a PV panel array of suitable
          voltage & power to run it. A multiple orientation array like this one provides 20 hp
          for much of the day under strong sun; you could scale it down to about 1/10th
          for 2 hp DC, at least 1 hp at the shaft. Bruce Roe

this is what i want to buy i dont mind useing dc i am just looking for most cost efective way it can run 5 hrs or only when sun is present i just have to keep it simple and compact with cost in mind cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Crusher...item35ee519615

Comment

I think the real gold is in selling the crushers

But, a 1hp DC motor, is a hard bird to find. Some will be a simple brushed motor, with life limited to brush and commutator wear.
            Fancier ones need control circuitry. I don't know what to suggest
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by adamcatfish86 View Post
              this is what i want to buy i dont mind useing dc i am just looking for most cost efective way it can run 5 hrs or only when sun is present i just have to keep it simple and compact with cost in mind cheap http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rock-Crusher...item35ee519615
              When it comes to running any loads for hours every day a solar / battery system will never be low in cost.

As I have stated in the past it comes down to how much is it worth to you to keep the crusher running every day and for the desired length of time each as compared to only being able to use it for a few hours if and when the sun is shining?

As an example, for the last week we have had a tremendous amount of rain during each day that pv panels "should be" producing power. If I had to rely on that sun I would probably only had a few hours total over days due to clouds and rain.

Without a battery system I would not be able to run anything as large as a 1 hp motor for any length of time.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                When it comes to running any loads for hours every day a solar / battery system will never be low in cost.

As I have stated in the past it comes down to how much is it worth to you to keep the crusher running every day and for the desired length of time each as compared to only being able to use it for a few hours if and when the sun is shining?

As an example, for the last week we have had a tremendous amount of rain during each day that pv panels "should be" producing power. If I had to rely on that sun I would probably only had a few hours total over days due to clouds and rain.

Without a battery system I would not be able to run anything as large as a 1 hp motor for any length of time.
                Perhaps mining operations don't require the crusher in continuous operation; so
                "schedule" it for good sun times.

With batteries and/or rain you will need a generator. Instead, just have the option
                of adding a belt so the crusher can run directly off a 2 hp diesel or gas engine. MUCH
                more efficient. Maybe even use them at the same time when the sun is marginal,
                save some fuel. Bruce Roe

Comment

Perhaps mining operations don't require the crusher in continuous operation; so
                  "schedule" it for good sun times.

With batteries and/or rain you will need a generator. Instead, just have the option
                  of adding a belt so the crusher can run directly off a 2 hp diesel or gas engine. MUCH
                  more efficient. Maybe even use them at the same time when the sun is marginal,
                  save some fuel. Bruce Roe
                  +1. Good ideas for power options.

Comment

Working...
                  X