Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony123
    • Aug 2013

cen-tech inverter

Hi I got a cen-tech (harbor freight) 5000 watt inverter. I bought 3 different ones and each time I tested them with a multimeter they all read around 94 volts. Am I missing something here or were all 3 inverters I tried defective? I also tried the 2000 watt model and it worked perfectly with voltage in the normal range.
  • PNjunction
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

Is your multimeter a "TRUE-RMS" multimeter?

While I don't know what the plus/minus specs of those inverters are, they are MSW or modified sine wave. A true-rms meter knows how to measure non-sinusoidal waveforms accurately. That may actually reverse your findings - the 5kw models might be truly close, whereas the 2K model is now a tad high!

Comment

• Tony123
      • Aug 2013

I'm not sure if my multimeter is true RMS but the inverter failed to start my air conditioner. The 2000 watt model was able to start it for a short amount of time. That's what prompted me to test it.

Comment

• PNjunction
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2012

Ah yes - common problem.

Just because an inverter has a wattage rating, it does NOT mean that your battery will actually support it! In addition, motorized appliance start-ups can generate huge inductive surge-loads which immediately overload the inverter too.

I guess the question here is what is the capacity size of your battery (make / model / age help knowing too). I suspect that your battery is too small, and along with an inductive current spike, the battery voltage is just crashing too fast.

Can your multimeter record min/max dc voltages? When placed across the battery terminals, and the air-con is started and dies, what is the lowest voltage it records?

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PNjunction
          Ah yes - common problem.

Just because an inverter has a wattage rating, it does NOT mean that your battery will actually support it! In addition, motorized appliance start-ups can generate huge inductive surge-loads which immediately overload the inverter too.

I guess the question here is what is the capacity size of your battery (make / model / age help knowing too). I suspect that your battery is too small, and along with an inductive current spike, the battery voltage is just crashing too fast.

Can your multimeter record min/max dc voltages? When placed across the battery terminals, and the air-con is started and dies, what is the lowest voltage it records?
          It does sound like the 5000 watt inverter might be crashing the battery causing a low AC voltage output. Or with HF equipment there is always the chance of a bad batch of hardware.

Comment

• cmclane28
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by PNjunction
            Ah yes - common problem.

I remember when I first got my solar starter kit I got one of those really small 12v 35ah batteries and a 1500 watt inverter and it actually powered up my small window shaker AC unit! I think back on that now and wonder how in the world it worked. haha. The AC unit only pulls like 550 watts, but I can't believe the surge and the tiny battery I was using still allowed it to work. Of course had I left it running I could have only gotten about 20 mins out of it, but it was cool to see it work at the time.

Comment

• posplayr
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by cmclane28
              I remember when I first got my solar starter kit I got one of those really small 12v 35ah batteries and a 1500 watt inverter and it actually powered up my small window shaker AC unit! I think back on that now and wonder how in the world it worked. haha. The AC unit only pulls like 550 watts, but I can't believe the surge and the tiny battery I was using still allowed it to work. Of course had I left it running I could have only gotten about 20 mins out of it, but it was cool to see it work at the time.
              Batteries have relatively very low impedance meaning even a smaller battery than you had can generate as much as 100 amps for short periods.

Comment

Working...