Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable battery

Hello everyone,

Does anybody know any other similar battery like the following?

slideshare.net/H3Platform/fsp-ess-introduction

It is a battery that can be charged with AC or PV power, and can be taken around with yourself or use in home as backup power. I want to buy one because it might be useful when I am working outside; or use it as a backup power source. This one is quite good for my needs, but I want to make decision after comparing some other brands.

Is there anyone with the experiences using similar product?
    Last edited by Mike90250; 07-24-2015, 05:02 PM. Reason: mung links

Originally posted by SunnyDayHouse View Post
    Hello everyone,

Does anybody know any other similar battery like the following?

slideshare.net/H3Platform/fsp-ess-introduction

It is a battery that can be charged with AC or PV power, and can be taken around with yourself or use in home as backup power. I want to buy one because it might be useful when I am working outside; or use it as a backup power source. This one is quite good for my needs, but I want to make decision after comparing some other brands.

Hello SunnyDayHouse and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

There are a lot of "portable" battery systems on the market that can be charged using solar panels or from grid power. Most use FLA sealed batteries but there are some using some form of Lithium chemistry.

The prices vary like the weather high to low and good to bad. Most are very expensive if they include any type of solar panels and some make claims of delivering a lot of power based on the inverter size but not the battery system size. You just have to read the fine print to determine what the battery system Ah rating and voltage is to calculate what the true production numbers are in daily watt hour.

Some people have built their own system (like me) but I wouldn't call them top quality. It all comes down to what you really need for a portable power supply and how much you want to pay for it. Let us know if you decide to go with that model and how it works out for you.
    Last edited by Mike90250; 07-24-2015, 05:03 PM. Reason: mung links

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyDayHouse View Post
      Yes - and steer clear for many reasons.

The main problem with all-in-ones like this is that the end users have no REAL idea of their power requirements are beforehand. They don't know how to measure the power from the devices they pull (Hint - get a P3 International Kill-A-Watt meter to actually do it for ac devices). Relying on the manufacturer-supplied little charts are only guesstimates at best.

Without this knowledge, it usually becomes just an under-or-over priced toy depending on the user's loads, killing the battery and ending up in the corner of the garage.

Another problem with all-in-ones is that one usually can't be sure of the battery quality inside, nor how it has been stored just sitting around in retail for a year or more. In addition, if one part of the system fails, does it take everything down with it making it a campground doorstop? For instance, if you short or overload the USB ports, does it kill the entire logic board? Many cheap devices have done this for me already, and is why I *never* use the provided usb ports, and instead rely on my own little vehicular dc-dc usb adapters instead. Just won't take the chance.

Re this device in particular - I find it strange that you need to call someone where the main business is doing cloud servers. Are these built on some guys lunchtime?

And this is the VERY important part. EVERYONE and their brother is stuffing lithium batteries in a box and calling it a day. You need to call them to find out what the chemistry actually is (is it lifepo4, or is it something else?). And importantly, EXACTLY WHAT MANUFACTURERS cells are they using inside? Is it filled with cheap "MONGO-FIRE 3500's", or something quality like an A123 cell? Actually, I just ignore any manufacturer that is unwilling or afraid to state what is inside, and just publishes generic specs.

As a novice, you don't know to ask these questions beforehand, so my advice to you is to stick around, do some reading, and build a far better system designed for your own needs. At the very least, you'll be able to recognize what is questionable, and what is reasonable - which is usually from a builder with a proven track record and not just anything new that pops up on the web.

Like any product with a battery inside, no matter what the chemistry is, there is a whole world of counterfeit, used, rejects, laptop-pulls etc from NON-REPUTABLE or gray-market sources in the lithium world. Do yourself a favor, and stick to recognized brands and legitimate dealers.

Comment

Many portable battery systems on the market that you can choose:
        http://www.renesola.com/portable-storage-system/

Comment

weijing - you are actually doing a disservice to that company. Instead of helping, you are hurting it with drive-by links.

Here, we are the wrong demographic to be fooled by parasitic actions. Basically, it is bad business for you.

Comment

Working...
          X