• Bala
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bucho
    Huh? Couldn't you get one for like half that
    Outback Flexmax 80 MPPT Solar Charge Controller

or use 2 40A mppt controllers for just over $400
    Renogy 40 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller

Mod note. It's fine to post the name of gear, but not links to competing vendors. The
    funds to pay the hosting fees and electric bill come from equipment sales from
    http://www.solarreviews.com/ They are low pressure sales, but still appreciate the chance to make a sale.
    Almac is in Australia, we tend to pay a little more for things than in the US.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Bucho
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Bala
      Almac is in Australia, we tend to pay a little more for things than in the US.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      The difference between 400 and 1000 is more than a little, especially for something made in China.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

The difference between 400 and 1000 is more than a little, especially for something made in China.
        But he already spent over $1100au for those six batteries which will probably not last half as long as advertised. Sometimes it might not make sense to spend a lot of money for quality equipment up front, but when it comes to solar hardware going cheap ends up costing you more by spending a moderate amount several times instead of just once.

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

Quick look,

Buy now from an Aus online store, could proabably get it cheaper bringing it in form US.

Outback FM80 MPPT Solar Regulator

$1,249.00Aud

Renergy, could get from US ,unit each about $300 Aud + postage

Another problem is often companies will offer not warranty or support for products imported when there are dealers in the country.

Comment

• solar pete
            Administrator
            • May 2014

Well yeah that is mostly true, except for solar installs it seems, cheers

Comment

• paulcheung
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2013

Quick look,

Buy now from an Aus online store, could proabably get it cheaper bringing it in form US.

Outback FM80 MPPT Solar Regulator

$1,249.00Aud

Another problem is often companies will offer not warranty or support for products imported when there are dealers in the country.
              There are features that FM80 has which the Renergy don't has, like custom charge voltage and absorb time and limit current charge etc. You get what you are pay for.

Comment

• almac
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2015

here are pics of my reconfigured batteries. 2 x 75ah - 2x 75ah at 24v marine in series connected to 2 x pwm charge controllers delivering max 35amps. this is a charge current of about c/5 which less than the charge current from a boat engine. this i run a 2000w inverter from during solar hours. i have 2 x 100amp deep cycle in parallel so 200ah at 12v. these are charged by a 40amp dc power supply during the day. the deep cycle 200ah are used at night with a 300w 12v inverter

DSCN8108[1].JPGDSCN8109[1].JPGDSCN8110[1].JPG

DSCN8107[1].JPG

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by almac
                  here are pics of my reconfigured batteries. 2 x 75ah - 2x 75ah at 24v marine in series connected to 2 x pwm charge controllers delivering max 35amps. this is a charge current of about c/5 which less than the charge current from a boat engine. this i run a 2000w inverter from during solar hours. i have 2 x 100amp deep cycle in parallel so 200ah at 12v. these are charged by a 40amp dc power supply during the day. the deep cycle 200ah are used at night with a 300w 12v inverter

[ATTACH]7348[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7349[/ATTACH][ATTACH]7350[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7344[/ATTACH]
                  The arrangement looks better then your first set up.

Comment

• Bucho
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    You might be putting too much into both battery systems. 20amps charging the 150Ah bank is a little high for FLA as well as 15amps into the 100Ah system. If those batteries are AGM you might be ok but I am not sure.
                    He's using marine batteries.

Comment

• Bucho
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      But he already spent over $1100au for those six batteries which will probably not last half as long as advertised. Sometimes it might not make sense to spend a lot of money for quality equipment up front, but when it comes to solar hardware going cheap ends up costing you more by spending a moderate amount several times instead of just once.
                      My take on it is that his batteries were doomed because he chose buy then learn instead of the other way around. I'm just sad he didn't manage to cheap his first set of batteries out more.

Comment

• Bucho
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2013

That MPPT controller is a tracer and you can get it for a lot less than what you're thinking by buying from china.

Huh?

Comment

• almac
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2015

My take on it is that his batteries were doomed because he chose buy then learn instead of the other way around. I'm just sad he didn't manage to cheap his first set of batteries out more.
                          hi, thanks for reading, my 1st set of deep cycle batteries are still going strong despite all the abuse , equalized them the other day , all the cells still charge up to an acceptable SG off the solar panels. thinking about getting a cheap bank of forklift batteries, around 500ah 24v. seen them for around $400

Comment

• Bucho
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2013

Originally posted by almac
                            thinking about getting a cheap bank of forklift batteries, around 500ah 24v. seen them for around $400
                            What are you looking at?

Comment

• almac
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2015

What are you looking at?
                              forklift batteries

Comment

• Mike90250
                                • May 2009

new 24V 500ah forklift batteries are way more than $400. Maybe they are re-conditioned?

Or maybe it's more likely it's $400 for each 6v 500Ah jug.
                                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...