Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Since he's heading to Alaska, dried Moose apples are dipped in a mixture of used motor oil and diesel fuel, dried again and burned like wood pellets.

Seriously, Any installed heating device used on a boat has to be installed and used in compliance with the US Coast Guard colregs. Using a boat in a the waters he's talking about, he'll be boarded often for a safety check. Not to mention he's taking his life and passengers in his hands.

Comment

• nhhockeyplayer
      • Jul 2015

If I cannot heat a damn boat with a 6x10 cuddy cabin space...

How the hell can I heat a home ?

This is really gone haywire....

I want to buy solar panels but I cannot for the life of me find a single application ?

I AM HUMAN BUT I REFUSE TO BE THAT STUPID

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by nhhockeyplayer

How the hell can I heat a home ?

This is really gone haywire....

I want to buy solar panels but I cannot for the life of me find a single application ?

You are not stupid. Maybe you do not understand the physics behind converting solar energy into electrical power and what requirements are needed to run even small electric loads.

As of now using solar/battery systems to run heating, cooling, refrigeration or motor loads requires a lot of space for the panels and batteries. Even those 200 watt heaters are "big" loads requiring a lot of solar power to run them and charge batteries to run them when the sun isn't shining.

It just comes down to not yet having the science to use a small physical area to generate large amounts of power.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Stupid is the wrong word, lacking education and basic understanding of physics is the issue you have. You have it in your mind a kid on a toy tricycle can pull a train. Fossil fuel is the only energy source with enough energy density to generate energy to do the job.

Think of it this way. Why does your boat have an engine? Why not just use an Ore or a Trolling Motor. You don't need no stinking engine to make the boat go right? Wrong only fossil fuel has enough energy density to do the job.

Here is a lesson in energy density. A 1500 watt Electric Ceramic Heater running for say 8 hours uses 12 Kwh or generates 40,800 BTU's. That requires a 3600 pound battery and a 6250 watt solar panel the size of a small cruise ship to heat your small little cabin. Or it takes 1/2 gallon of LPG to do the same job burning in a small ceramic heater. That is the part you do not understand. Energy Density and Specific Energy Density.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

wow... I never been so floored by humanity incompetence than now. cant even heat a damn boat.

can someone elaborate on what gas cylinders I need. And if its propane gas or gasoline gas ?

really floored. This is hopeless. I lost faith in humanity when I saw how messed up the inboard design was... just a mutation of a rich mans playground. Not a dime of sense came out of that.

i got nothing to feel good about... its dead end after dead end.

i cant believe they done nothing with magnets or free energy... even that old guy boiling his own cup of tea with free energy took that to the grave with him.

god forgive us for our dumbness, our stupidness and our complete utter ignorant humanness and waste of existence
            God does forgive everyone, for who they are and what they believe. Including those that are easily fooled by people that use videos and black boxes that somehow show more energy coming out then going in.

Unfortunately our science (at least what has been revealed) has not gotten past some barriers related to the laws of physics which at this time makes perpetually motion only a fantasy.

Maybe magnets will be the path but no one has developed that technology yet that hasn't turned out to be some type of hoax. If it really worked there would be a product that is being sold and used.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

How the hell can I heat a home ?.......
              This

Is how you heat a home. Much tougher to heat a boat cabin in Alaska in winter.

And a well built masonry heater
              Information on masonry heaters, manufacturers, masonry heater builders. Plans, news, resources, educational opportunities, bake ovens and more....

is another good way to heat a good sized home with 2-3 cords of wood in cold winters.
              ( wood being carbon neutral except for the cutting with chain saws )
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• nhhockeyplayer
                • Jul 2015

FALSE

It is unreasonable to discard the MOST important items to live on when so much marketing and HOPE is presented in this technology.

I find it 110% lude

Even if I buy $10,000 worth of panels its only meaty enough to run a laptop... or some light bulbs...or a cell phone?

I am floored at this point...

call me all the names you want... I have a masters in technology and I refuse to be an idiot

I am passing on solar panels... there is a better way... I will find it

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

FALSE

It is unreasonable to discard the MOST important items to live on when so much marketing and HOPE is presented in this technology.

I find it 110% lude

Even if I buy $10,000 worth of panels its only meaty enough to run a laptop... or some light bulbs...or a cell phone?

call me all the names you want... I have a masters in technology and I refuse to be an idiot

So now you have experienced the overflowing propaganda from a specific crowd of people how RE (solar and wind) will be able to run all of our electrical loads 24/7. It is pure BS and full of misinformation.

Does Solar and Wind have a place in electrical power generation portfolio? YES. And I will support it as best as I can.

Will RE provide all our power requirements? NO. Not until a low cost easy to build energy storage system has been found.

So with your masters in technology it shouldn't be hard to understand that the large quantity of people are being brainwashed into believing in fairy tales. You just have to keep your senses about you and understand the science and limitations around RE.

Comment

• lkruper
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

FALSE

I find it 110% lude

I suggest you try some marine forums .... but be prepared .... with the same demeanor they may make you walk the plank!

Comment

• almac
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      So now you have experienced the overflowing propaganda from a specific crowd of people how RE (solar and wind) will be able to run all of our electrical loads 24/7. It is pure BS and full of misinformation.

Does Solar and Wind have a place in electrical power generation portfolio? YES. And I will support it as best as I can.

Will RE provide all our power requirements? NO. Not until a low cost easy to build energy storage system has been found.

a low cost energy storage system for when the sun dont shine, today we have national grid tie rooftop solar infrastructure. there are 3 time zones across australia so the sun shines on solar panels 3hrs longer on the national grid. i see a solution in a global grid.. then the sun will be shining 24/7. although the pacific ocean covers almost half of one side of the planet. there would need to be a solar farm floating on the pacific ocean

Comment

• Amy@altE
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

FALSE

I find it 110% lude

Now you are making a jump from one use to another, assuming the answer is no for both. Laptop and LED lightbulbs are easy with solar. Making heat and cold are not. An LED lightbulb uses a few watts. A heater uses 1500 watts. They don't belong in the same sentence when talking about solar.
                        Solar Queen
                        altE Store

Comment

• sensij
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                          As Almac points out, the solution doesn't depend on storage alone. A better transmission network could also solve the problem, but it seems that today, storage is seen as the more cost effective approach.
                          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Sunking
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Feb 2010

Am I The Only One???????

Am I the only one who finds this Thread Hilarious. Like Forrest Gump funny or Dumb and Dumber funny.

We got this guy with a boat who wants to sail the most dangerous waters in in the world around Alaska, and does not even have a clue how to stay warm or how a boat works.

Now that is some funny stuff, I don't care who you are. An episode right out of Jack Ass with a twist, playing for blood and survival. Reminds me of Forrest jumping off the boat under power.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by almac
                              a low cost energy storage system for when the sun dont shine, today we have national grid tie rooftop solar infrastructure. there are 3 time zones across australia so the sun shines on solar panels 3hrs longer on the national grid. i see a solution in a global grid.. then the sun will be shining 24/7. although the pacific ocean covers almost half of one side of the planet. there would need to be a solar farm floating on the pacific ocean
                              Unfortunately neither a floating solar farm or one in space will be easy or cheap to build. And even if they were getting the power transmitted over thousands of miles from the generating point to the use point would add an unbelievable amount to the cost because you can't have just one line but need multiple ways to transmit the power.

This was a major stumbling point for the big wind farms in NW Texas. They wouldn't put up the turbines until they improved and increase the high voltage transmission lines. That will take years to pay for itself.

So sure the sun is always shining somewhere in the world (but not always over the same place every day due to storms) but until the whole world reduces their electric usages building Gagawatt solar arrays 1500 miles away from the use point is not going to happen anytime soon.

Comment

• SunEagle
                                Super Moderator
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sensij
                                As Almac points out, the solution doesn't depend on storage alone. A better transmission network could also solve the problem, but it seems that today, storage is seen as the more cost effective approach.
                                Local energy storage has a better chance of becoming a reality the long distance high voltage transmission lines enough to move the GW of power consumed by the American people.

There already is so much push-back for high voltage transmission lines it could take years of litigation to get the people that own the property to give it up to put up the wires.

Look at the North East where getting a wind turbine farm approved and installed is like pulling teeth from a gator in heat. Sure everyone wants "cheap" power as long as it isn't one my property or can be seen from my kitchen window.

The idea of large generating systems (solar or wind) except in certain locations will be fought until the Nuclear energy plants stop producing. Sad but unfortunately people can be stubborn when it comes to violating their privacy or view.

Comment

Working...