No announcement yet.

BOAT WARMTH ??? 1500watt lasco ceramic heater - trying to heat my boat - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOAT WARMTH ??? 1500watt lasco ceramic heater - trying to heat my boat - HELP

Folks,

Maybe someone can steer me right here... I am in dummy mode.

I got a boat. 25ft cuddy cabin powerboat.
    I got a marine battery 12v dc and 133 amp hour rating
    I got a lasco ceramic heater as in here

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-23-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I want to heat my boat while boating thru alaskan sound...

Is this the way to go ? How can keep warm in my

If so how do I power this heater to run around the clock 7x24...

A sales guy said he would sell me two 100watt monocrystaline solar panels to powerup the battery.

Is somethign wrong with this config ?
    Will it work ?
    Why not if not.
    If it wont work... what will work?

Tring to plan on keeping warm.

- cheers and thanks

K

Originally posted by nhhockeyplayer View Post
    Folks,

Maybe someone can steer me right here... I am in dummy mode.

I got a boat. 25ft cuddy cabin powerboat.
    I got a marine battery 12v dc and 133 amp hour rating
    I got a lasco ceramic heater as in here

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-23-...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I want to heat my boat while boating thru alaskan sound...

Is this the way to go ? How can keep warm in my

If so how do I power this heater to run around the clock 7x24...

A sales guy said he would sell me two 100watt monocrystaline solar panels to powerup the battery.

Is somethign wrong with this config ?
    Will it work ?
    Why not if not.
    If it wont work... what will work?

Tring to plan on keeping warm.

- cheers and thanks

K
    Your heater will work just fine as long as you are plugged into shore power However a small solar system is not suited to resistive heating. Your 200 watts of panels won't power a 1500 w heater.

You should look for an Eskimo woman to keep you warm instead.

Comment

Never going to happen period.

A 200 watt panel generates 300 to 500 watt hours per day depending on location and time of year use under ideal panel orientation. The ceramic heater running 24 hours per day uses 1500 watts x 24 hours = 36,000 watt hours or 36 Kwh, more than your average large home.

Your little flashlight battery of 12 volts at 133 AH can only store 12 volts x 133 AH = 1500 watt hours

What all this means is with your panel and battery you can only run the small little heater 10 to 20 minutes per day. You can only generate 0.5 Kwh/day and need 36 Kwh/day. That is 72 times more power than you can generate.

To make it work requires a 14,000 watt solar panel and a 11,000 pound $40,000 battery you replace every few years.

The only way to use that heater is to have a generator running 24 hours a day. A lot less expensive and lighter than solar. 14,000 watts of panel stakes only a large Yacht to hold them, and a 11,000 pound battery that will sink your boat or bank account first.

Sorry but it is never going to happen.

There is only one energy source that will work and is economical. Fossil Fuel in the form of LPG, Diesel, or gasoline. Not sure about alcohol. Anyway the issue is 36 Kwh/day is a huge amount of electric energy.

Watt Hours = Watts x Hours = 1500 watts x 24 Hours = 36,000 watt hours or 36 Kwh.

National average residential homes use 30 Kwh per day. You gotta a boat using more than a house uses.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

why use electric heating under ANY circumstances ? gas heating is way more efficient, a couple of gas cylinders will keep you warm

Comment

Originally posted by almac View Post
          why use electric heating under ANY circumstances ? gas heating is way more efficient, a couple of gas cylinders will keep you warm

wow... I never been so floored by humanity incompetence than now. cant even heat a damn boat.

can someone elaborate on what gas cylinders I need. And if its propane gas or gasoline gas ?

really floored. This is hopeless. I lost faith in humanity when I saw how messed up the inboard design was... just a mutation of a rich mans playground. Not a dime of sense came out of that.

i got nothing to feel good about... its dead end after dead end.

i cant believe they done nothing with magnets or free energy... even that old guy boiling his own cup of tea with free energy took that to the grave with him.

god forgive us for our dumbness, our stupidness and our complete utter ignorant humanness and waste of existence

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking
            Well we do have one secret engineers do not know. They think we are so stupid. Any 5th grader good in math knows all you gotta do is get a car battery to run a 1 Hp motor turning a 2 Hp generator will work forever as long as you feed it a little power from the panels.

wow... really... 1hp to 2hp ?

what kind is it... battery driven ? magnetic ? or even electric ?
            Can you elaborate ?

Thank You

Comment

Sadly, there are jokers on the internet .

Without hidden wires in the youtube video, you cant use a 1Hp motor to drive a 2hp generator, or we all would be doing it. Evey one of the jokers that create a magic energy machine, still have grip power lines running to their house, while they sell $$ of plans and kits that will fail to perform, but will educate you about con artists.

Back to heating your boat. You will not be able to do it with 2 small PV panels. As sunking said, you need 14Kw of PV panels and a huge battery. So fossil fuel or plug-in to shore power is the only way. I'll leave it to you as to what the heater fuel source is going to be.

Mod note. Cleaned up junk & joke posts. Go easy on the newbies and don't fight on someone else's thread.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

heating the boat, you might be able to plumb in a radiator from the engine, and warm the cabin, much like a automotive heater uses engine heat from the coolant system. But that's going to take some work.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

You can always go old school and get a Shipmate wood stove. http://www.shipmatestove.com/Details...=46&category=6 I've actually got the bigger one on my schooner.
                  Solar Queen
                  altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
                    You can always go old school and get a Shipmate wood stove. http://www.shipmatestove.com/Details...=46&category=6 I've actually got the bigger one on my schooner.
                    wow amy thanks

I have a cuddy cabin... and a skylight window. I could vent a pipe out that way... and rest the stove on center on some platform. And yes burn coal.

That seems really nice.

My other try is to operate two 200amp ceramic heater with two 260watt solar panels...
                    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lasko-MyHe...eater/33837484

or a wind 4000watt turbine

gettin close...

which one would you prefer ?

Comment

wow amy thanks

I have a cuddy cabin... and a skylight window. I could vent a pipe out that way... and rest the stove on center on some platform. And yes burn coal.

That seems really nice.

My other try is to operate two 200amp ceramic heater with two 260watt solar panels...

gettin close...

Again, you're talking about a system that won't fit on your boat. 400Wx24x7 is a huge solar system...even bigger in Alaska
                      1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

wow amy thanks

That seems really nice.

gettin close...

Unfortunately with using two of those 200 watt heaters 24 hours a day you would need a gigantic 48volt battery system.

You are talking about almost 10kWh for those heaters which also means about 5kw of solar panels that are not always pointed at the sun.

Even a wind turbine will not generate enough power to keep you warm.

Sad to say but you are going to need some type of heater that burns fossil fuel of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          going to need some type of heater that burns fossil fuel of some kind.
                          It is the only practical, realistic, and economical way it can be done. Either burning something like LPG as the heat source (most efficient way), or burned as generator fuel like diesel. I suppose alcohol could be used, but methanol and ethanol are really expensive fuels.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                            It is the only practical, realistic, and economical way it can be done. Either burning something like LPG as the heat source (most efficient way), or burned as generator fuel like diesel. I suppose alcohol could be used, but methanol and ethanol are really expensive fuels.
                            Or in Alaska, where he will be, he could burn blubber. [<= comic font] I guess that is not PC green though!

Comment

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
                              Or in Alaska, where he will be, he could burn blubber. [<= comic font] I guess that is not PC green though!
                              Well there is a number of bio fuels that are "greener" to burn then the ones from crude oil.

I have also heard of people burning frozen cow & bull droppings but that discussion may upset the some people.

Comment

Working...
                              X