X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SolarFamilyGuy
    • Aug 2015

I can safely say that your state and local utility are in bed together. It sounds like the laws in your state punish and prevent people from having solar. They are forcing you to pay with or without solar. Honestly, I would change your system into an off grid solar array with battery backup, if you can afford it. If you can afford this and actually go 100% off grid, this will be like giving your utility the proverbial middle finger .!.

Comment

• diogenes
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2015

gosh, I was happy about this, LOL

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by diogenes
        Ok thanks to the people who got involved here, the requirement has been changed to the following:

Our liability insurance amounts have changed on the interconnection agreement, no longer one million dollars. Generation up to 10 kW is $150,000.00 Liability. 10 kW up to 50 kW is $500,000.00.
        Awesome... that is great news, a much more reasonable requirement. I'm glad they came around, hopefully in time for you to reduce your policy to the lower level and avoid a big premium.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• NorthRick
          • Aug 2015

Here's what our utility says:

11) Chugach expects net metering customers to acquire liability insurance to cover any damages caused to the
          Chugach system by the consumer generation system, if that coverage is available at a reasonable cost to the
          consumer.

Kind of leaves the door open. Doesn't say how much or what a "reasonable cost to the consumer" is.

Comment

• SolarFamilyGuy
            • Aug 2015

I have a million dollar umbrella policy because I do own a home for $167 annual. I can get up to a 5 million dollar policy if I want for a few hundred more annual. Honestly, most of those utility statements about you being liable for damage to the grid from your solar array is to prevent people from messing with the grid tie-in. You would be supprised how many people tinker with the utility power at their home for illegal purposes. All the utility is saying is, DON'T MESS WITH THE POWER GRID". As long as you have it installed by your utilities authorized installer, using authorized equiment, and follow required installation, you should have no issue.

Comment

• SolarFamilyGuy
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by NorthRick
              Here's what our utility says:

11) Chugach expects net metering customers to acquire liability insurance to cover any damages caused to the
              Chugach system by the consumer generation system, if that coverage is available at a reasonable cost to the
              consumer.

Kind of leaves the door open. Doesn't say how much or what a "reasonable cost to the consumer" is.
              They still do not require it. This is a good thing. Most inverters have an auto shut off, over current protection, rapid shut down or ark prevention built in. This is required from most utilities.

Comment

Working...