12 volt deck lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt deck lights

Hi I would like to run some deck lights from my solar powered shed, my question is has anyone done this and if so could you point me in the correct direction where to buy them, also would I need a voltage regulator ?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Jamiegsi View Post
    Hi I would like to run some deck lights from my solar powered shed, my question is has anyone done this and if so could you point me in the correct direction where to buy them, also would I need a voltage regulator ?

Thanks in advance
    To get lights from your solar powered shed when the sun is not shining on the panels, you must have a battery in the system. The voltage at the battery terminals is perfectly fine for the typical 12V nominal LED light. The only voltage regulation you would need is already being done by the Charge Controller as it regulated panel power to the battery.
    If you have incandescent deck lights (boo, hiss!) then the battery voltage during charging may be a little too high and may reduce the bulb life.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      To get lights from your solar powered shed when the sun is not shining on the panels, you must have a battery in the system. The voltage at the battery terminals is perfectly fine for the typical 12V nominal LED light. The only voltage regulation you would need is already being done by the Charge Controller as it regulated panel power to the battery.
      If you have incandescent deck lights (boo, hiss!) then the battery voltage during charging may be a little too high and may reduce the bulb life.
      Thanks for the reply I have fitted my 12 volt led deck lights and I have had them for over a week now, I have 2 90ah marine batteries and I have wired them up to the load on my charge controller so they come on for 3 hours once the sun goes down and the batteries stop charging and my battery voltage never exceeds 13 volts normally around 12.8 volts after a days charging

Comment

Originally posted by Jamiegsi View Post

Thanks in advance
        I think the deck light whether need a regulator, it should consider whether the voltage from solar power shed go through a "constant current regulator", some deck light combine a constant current together.
        * sunsolarled *

Comment

Where can you get a keychain that has a light. Like a flashlight one. An one that has batteries that you can change but is still small enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve41 View Post
            Where can you get a keychain that has a light. Like a flashlight one. An one that has batteries that you can change but is still small enough.
            Internet or local hardware store. The batteries will be coin or button cells. Many of the lights sold will not have replaceable batteries, but the price of the light with batteries is almost always less than the cost of new batteries by themselves.

If you really want to get into it deeply, try http://www.candlepowerforums.com.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
            X