Can we use solar panel to power a dc motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we use solar panel to power a dc motor

i have one question if any one can help me to reply. i want to drive one motor generator directly from solar panel.

Ya, as long as you don't care if the speed is consistent or don't mind wasting some of the excess solar power.
    As long as the motor voltage rating is better than the panel rating - go for it.
    Once upon a time, I put a 12Vdc motor in an evaporative cooler hooked directly to one 12V solar panel. Worked well - the brighter the sun was, the faster the cooler went.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
      Ya, as long as you don't care if the speed is consistent or don't mind wasting some of the excess solar power.
      As long as the motor voltage rating is better than the panel rating - go for it.
      Once upon a time, I put a 12Vdc motor in an evaporative cooler hooked directly to one 12V solar panel. Worked well - the brighter the sun was, the faster the cooler went.
      thnks for reply, i saw some people on youtube running motor generator self propelled, what i know is not practical because there is energy losses cant run like that ... i want to compensate these energy losses adding the solar panels ... so motor get feed from solar panel and from generator too.

i hope it works.

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
        This is probably all pretty obvious, so I'm just looking for confirmation (or not) of my assumptions.

I have assumed that the conversion to AC to run an AC motor is going to have longer life as there are no brushes. Power consumption goes up to the cube of motor speed so not sure going faster is really a good thing. Other than having the DC motor laying around and needing intermittent service; and AC motor is really the way to go.

This is not completely academic, I was looking at the potential for a solar powered green house with swamp cooler. The exact same issue comes to the fore front.

Comment

Originally posted by imrasl View Post
          so motor get feed from solar panel and from generator too.

i hope it works.
          Why have a generator? All it will do is consume power that could otherwise be put to use.

Comment

Working...
          X