Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schneider C40 charge/load controller

Greetings,

I'm just trying to do a quick test, I have a schenider C40 charge/load controller, a 75 watt solar panel with a maximum voltage of 14.67 Volts and a 12 volts deep cycle battery. As far as I understand, I just have to make the connections of the panel to the controller and to the battery. My question is: what happens if the battery has a voltage higher than the one the panel is giving out? Will it not charge the batteries? What is normally done in this case?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Chacabuco View Post
    Greetings,

I'm just trying to do a quick test, I have a schenider C40 charge/load controller, a 75 watt solar panel with a maximum voltage of 14.67 Volts and a 12 volts deep cycle battery. As far as I understand, I just have to make the connections of the panel to the controller and to the battery. My question is: what happens if the battery has a voltage higher than the one the panel is giving out? Will it not charge the batteries? What is normally done in this case?

Thank you.
    To charge a nominal 12V battery requires a panel with a maximum power voltage (Vmp) of around 18V.
    Your panel will not do the job, period. It will be at its best connected directly to the battery without a CC in between, which may be OK for that small a panel, depending on the AH rating of your battery.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Very simple you have a PWM Controller. That makes the math very simple.

Input Current = Output Current.

Simple?

It takes a minimum 17 to 18 volts for every 12 volts of battery to charge it. 18 for a 12 volt battery. 36 volts for a 24 volt battery
      Understand the simple math?

Very expensive battery panels have 36 cells for every 12 volts of battery. Each cell develops 1/2 volt.

36 cells is 18 volts right? Again simple math right?

A 100 watt 12 volt battery panels with 36 cells has a Vmp (voltagge at max power) = 18 volts, and an Imp = 5.3 amps. Power = Voltage x Amps so 18 volts x 5.3 amps = 100 watts.

Again very simple math right?

So with a 100 watt panel on a 12 volt battery 5.3 amps x 12 volts = 66 watts.

Again very simple math right?

But what if we used a inexpensive Grid Tied panel or even a expensive battery panel with a MPPT controller. What changes? .

MPPT Output Current = Panel Wattage / Battery Voltage.

Simple again right?

A 100 watt panel / 12 volts = 8.3 amps.

Simple right? 8.3 is greater than 5.3 right?

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
      X