Morningstar external wiring error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morningstar external wiring error?

I have a sunsaver MPPT connected to a 230 watt panel charging liquid acid deep cycle to run a couple 12 v dc pumps and have been getting a external wiring error display. All wires and connections look good, I am at a lost and need to get the water pumping any ideas please?

Haven't run into that problem with the Sun Saver MPPT

But what I would suggest is you disconnect everything from the charge
    controller and hook the battery up first make sure it cycles through the
    leds then stops on whatever the battery state is at.

Then hook up the solar panel be sure its hooked up the correct polarity
    if there is no error I'm guessing you maybe hooking the pumps to the
    load terminals and they my be drawing enough to cause the error but
    not enough to give overload error. The other possibility if they are hooked
    to the load terminals is the are generating a lot of noise that it is messing up
    the charge controller.

If either of these things is a possibility then you should hook the pumps directly
    to the battery terminals and give that a try.

Outside of that there is not much else I can say as you never included any specs
    on the solar panel or pumps or how the pumps were wired in.

Comment

Bet you anything you connected the panel before the battery. Battery is the first thing to be connected, and the last to be disconnected.

In addition your panel is too large for the controller. Reconnect everything in the right order, and double check polarity with a volt meter before connecting. Only 4 wires.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

I have had this system working steady for the past 3 years. The controller is supposed to be large enough for the panel, that was the whole reason I ordered it and replaced my old controller so I doubt that is the issue, I ordered it from the out fit in Arizona. The pumps are 3 amp bilge pumps, very small loads. Charge is up on bat.

Comment

The panel will work fine its just that when you have good sun light the panel will
          produce more then the charge controller will use i.e if it produces 16amp the controller
          will clip it to its max of 15amp is all so you are not getting the full benefit of the over
          200 watts max the controller uses.

Now as for the problem does it go away if you do not have the pumps hooked up
          and you reset the charge controller by unhooking and hooking back up as stated

You have to understand as the pumps get older if these are one that use brushes
          the can generate a lot of r.f. noise that can feed back to microprocessor controlled
          charge controller that can interfere with its operation if hooked to the load terminals

That is not to say that it is the problem but you have to use the process of elimination
          to trace down the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X