Advice for hiring electrician to install manual transfer switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Not the way it works. Your genny will have 4 wires: L1, L2, N, and G. It will supply 240/120 just like any standard electric service. All your 240 and 120 branch circuits will have power. The trick is to balance your 120 loads between L1 and L2.
    I ordered the Reliance 10 circuit transfer switch here http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Prod...l.aspx?R30310B

It comes pre-wired with a pair of wires for each of the 10 breakers in the transfer switch box. The two wires in a circuit breaker are removed. One of the wires from the pair coming from the transfer switch goes into the breaker. The other is spliced. After it is attached I can switch the circuits independently and the power for that circuit comes from the input of my transfer switch. Since I am not going to touch the two 220v circuits they will remain powered by the grid even if I power others from the generator.

I am getting a L14-30 connector to 110v 15 amp cord. The two hots on the 30 amp will be bridged so that the 110 volts will power both sides of the transfer switch.

My generator is only 1600w but I am only planning on powering about 100-150w plus lights, etc during a power outage.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Don't take this wrong, but why not do it right?

If you only feed 1 leg, do you even know what 120 circuits are on that 1 leg? Things like a 240 water heater will do some strange things with only 1 leg hot.
      See post #46 for the hardware and wiring. I already own the Smarter Tools 1600/2000w inverter generator. Most of what I want to power are computers and entertainment equipment where having pure sine wave power is recommended.

The 240 circuits are not being touched... see post #46.

Comment

Working...
      X