Sticking electrical gate valve ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking electrical gate valve ?

Hi, I have had Thermal solar on my roof since 2009. Even in the UK we have had a fair amount of free hot water during the summer months, and even a degree of hot water in winter, usually up to 60 in summer and around 30-35 in winter.
    In the last few weeks I have noticed that the water is not getting any where near where it has been in the past. So checking the figures on the controller, I noticed that the temp on the collector reads 120, while the tank is around 30. The pump seems to be turning. But I am thinking that a valve may be stuck closed and not allowing the water to enter the tank. I am no expert in this field, so if anyone out there can make any suggestions, I would be most grateful.

Check the pipe temperature on either side of the gate valve.
    If you can operate the controller manually, listen for the sound of the valve operating. Try tapping briskly on the valve while it is energized.
    There may be a break in the wiring. If you can, disconnect the valve circuit from the controller and measure the resistance with an ohmmeter.
    How difficult would it be to replace the valve? Does it have a separate solenoid housing attached to the valve shaft? If so, try operating the valve shaft manually.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Sticking electrical gate valve.

Hi inetdog, Pipe temp is the same either side of valve, which is why I suspected it. I will look through all my paperwork and see if I can see anyway to work the controller manually. However, as most of it is in German it may be a problem.

Comment

In 35 years I have never seen s solenoid on a hot water system.
        I suspect either a dead pump air in system or stuck check valve
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
          In 35 years I have never seen s solenoid on a hot water system.
          I suspect either a dead pump air in system or stuck check valve
          Maybe not a solenoid driving a valve but my solar water heating system has an electric motorized valve between the tank and solar collector.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            Maybe not a solenoid driving a valve but my solar water heating system has an electric motorized valve between the tank and solar collector.
            Me too.

Comment

Are those valves bypass valves that send the the water to a heat dump?

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
                My valve controls the flow of hot water going from the solar panel into the tank.

I have a hand valve that is in series with the electric controlled one below it as a manual shut off and a hand faucet valve above the electric which I can use to drain and flush the panel.

Similar valves on the cold water side excluding the electric controlled one.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
                  Not for me. I just got tired of farting around with check valves that didn't. I replaced 2 from heliotrope, the second one after replacing the crap rubber "O" ring with EPDM and still not getting a good seal. Actually I replaced the check valve w/ a motorized ball valve.

Comment

Working...
                  X