Solar requirements to heat a 500 sq ft room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar requirements to heat a 500 sq ft room

I have 40 evacuated tubes in my solar array and have the controls set to dump the entire 15 gallons into my storage when the tubes reach 150 degrees. I estimate this could cycle 3 or 4 times a day. I plan to pump the solar heated water from the storage through a water to air heat exchanger to space heat a 500 square foot room to 68/70 degrees. My question is how many gallons of storage will I need and what is the lowest storage temperature required?

Originally posted by tfenn1 View Post
    I have 40 evacuated tubes in my solar array and have the controls set to dump the entire 15 gallons into my storage when the tubes reach 150 degrees. I estimate this could cycle 3 or 4 times a day. I plan to pump the solar heated water from the storage through a water to air heat exchanger to space heat a 500 square foot room to 68/70 degrees. My question is how many gallons of storage will I need and what is the lowest storage temperature required?
    Question: why are you using what is usually a closed loop circulating collector as a type of what sounds like a batch heater ? Seems an unusual way to do it.

Not to sound snobby, but to answer your question requires information about the heat loss of the conditioned space, the heating schedule, which implies information about outside ambient temp., the flowrates of the fluids involved, the size, type and characteristics of the heat exchanger and several other things.

Comment

Working...
    X