Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 phase and Grid tie... what will happend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colt45 View Post
    Why not just install a three phase inverter or three single phase units?
    You say you have only one phase per floor but that would only have a 115V panel? Most of the time you will have a single phase panel feed with two of the three phase legs to give you 115/230v.
    Actually, that would be 115/199, not 115/230.
    In the US the standard nomenclature would be 120/208 (written as 208Y/120) for three phase compared to 120/240 for single phase.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Wow, in a residence... Why? What do you power at that voltage?
      Also PF is a problem in all 3 phase systems, non linear loads cause bad thing to happen. Try loading a generator with 100% reactive loads some time if you want a demo.
      That is what comes off the utility transformer to our meter and incomer panel. The only item on 3 phase in the house is the heat pump. On a separate side the well and pressure pumps are on 3 phase.

All 230 volt loads are split between the three phases.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        Actually, that would be 115/199, not 115/230.
        In the US the standard nomenclature would be 120/208 (written as 208Y/120) for three phase compared to 120/240 for single phase.
        Ya you got me, I was thinking single phase and knocking it down for 50Hz. Strange seeing 115/199v LOL

I still can't believe you have 430v in your house be careful that will cook you fast!

Is it a Y or Delta Hi-Leg system?

Comment

Ya you got me, I was thinking single phase and knocking it down for 50Hz. Strange seeing 115/199v LOL

I still can't believe you have 430v in your house be careful that will cook you fast!

Is it a Y or Delta Hi-Leg system?
          No idea about the connection type - I am the user. In Europe 3 phase systems and higher voltage in not uncommon.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by ionized View Post
            Well, I have 3ph in my 2000 sq ft McMansion in the USA. In my neighborhood, in the 1950s, any AC installation 3-ton or bigger got 3ph. Many people have heard of 3ph
            Same here in Arizona. Older neigborhoods had 3ph power for the larger AC units, until they figured that they could put two AC units on a house... My house just missed having 3ph power by a couple of years. (Bummer)

They also only usually meter TWO legs, and some people have been known to rewire their panels so all the 110V loads run on the unmetered leg only. Not sure how widespread that was or if new meters still only read two legs.

Also, people confuse the "Phase" as the wire (like saying two-phase), not the potential between the wires. Hence why two hots (240V) is still called single phase.

Houses in the EU sometimes have all three legs of 380/240. Not sure why, it just is.

I had a 480/277 service on an industrial bldg I once rented. It was nice, but I did have two large transformers for my 240/120 loads. Lighting was all 277, and every motor containing piece of equipment I bought was 480V, even had a single phase 480V fan motor in a chiller. That was weird. The idea was to avoid getting another transformer.

Not sure how any of this useless info applies to the OP's question, but hope it helps. The use of one leg for each floor is strange, and there must not be any line to line loads in that house, unless the OP has 380V 3 PH shop tools as indicated, but with 240 to neutral, makes sense. I'd get a 3phase inverter and tie it in to the panel as usual, but that is just me. Our single phase systems cannot be perfectly balanced either. Depends on how the family uses what plugged into where...

My 2 cents.
            House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
            RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

Working...
            X