Exide Deep Cycle Batteries 24MDCST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exide Deep Cycle Batteries 24MDCST

Does anyone here have any experience with Exide Deep Cycle Batteries? Someone on Cragslist is putting some up for sale in my area, and I'm just trying to determine if they are a good buy for a solar system. He stated he bought them for use for a solar system but now wants to sell them to start a new project, and that the batteries are brand new.

Currently I have AGM batteries for my solar system, and I believe the Exide batteries are as well.
    unnamed.jpg

unnamed.jpg

---Mod Note: It looks like either the image insert function is broken or you attached/uploaded the link rather than the file itself.
    Last edited by inetdog; 05-28-2015, 02:25 AM.
    [B]Keep It Simple, Stupid![/B]

These are NOT really Deep Cycle Batteries , they are a Marine / RV multi purpose battery, while they will work with Solar they have a limited life of a couple years at best.

The question I would have is, Have they been on a float charge and how old are they ?? If your getting them a real good price they may be worth a crap shoot. They will be almost impossible to get any warranty relief if they head south.

Places like Sams Club and Cosco can have some prices that are hard to beat.

Comment

Are the batteries you are thinking about the ones in the picture? The pics are a Marine/RV battery. Exide does make deep cycle batteries but without a model number or picture of them I cannot help you.

Anytime you see a battery that has:

RC = Reserve Capacity minutes is the amount of minutes a fully charged battery can deliver 25 amps.
      MCA = Marine Cranking Amps at 32 F
      CA = Cranking Amps at 32 F for 30 seconds
      CCA = Cold Cranking Amps at 0 F for 30 seconds

Then you know instantly they are NOT DEEP CYCLE, they are Hybrid Batteries. Hybrids use marketing names like Golf Cart, RV, Marine, Leisure, Wheel Chair, UPS and the list goes on. A True Deep Cycle will only have one, sometimes two specifications. 1. Amp Hours wil always be specified at some hourly discharge rate. 2. Sometimes will have an RC rating. But they will never have any kind of Cranking Amps

There is is 3rd battery type of SLI (starting lightning ignition) aka Cranking or Starting batteries. They only have Cranking Amps specified.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Are the batteries you are thinking about the ones in the picture? The pics are a Marine/RV battery. Exide does make deep cycle batteries but without a model number or picture of them I cannot help you.
        The label in the image has the same model number as in the thread title, 24MDCST. Looks like the OP has a non-RE battery all right.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          There is is 3rd battery type of SLI (starting lightning ignition) aka Cranking or Starting batteries. They only have Cranking Amps specified.
          I thought that they might have a Reserve Capacity specification too for supporting the lights with the engine off?
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
            I thought that they might have a Reserve Capacity specification too for supporting the lights with the engine off?
            Yes on the newer AGM's you can see that. Not something you want to test because that implies a deep discharge.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X