Which is better? A "low frequency"& "high frequency" inverter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fordtech
    • May 2015

Which is better? A "low frequency"& "high frequency" inverter?

I am looking at a bunch of different inverters and want to knows the pros and cons and differences of a "low frequency"& "high frequency" inverter. Thanks
  • Sunny Solar
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2012

In general low frequency inverters are far superior for starting difficult loads.. ie. motors.
    They are usually more expensive as the transformers/ coils are much larger,so a lot more copper. Usually also a more industrial design.

In simple terms a low frequency inverter has an output impedance close to what you get from grid mains..(low)

Here is a poor but easy to understand explanation..1 gas engine 1l puts out 100hp at 6000 rpm and 100ft lb torque engine 2 is 6l and puts out 100 hp at 2000 rpm and 400ftlb torque.given identical gearboxes the #2 engine will give far better acceleration from standing start under heavy load.... its the torque that is the difference.. torque is comparable to impedance...

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

What are you talking about?

Inverters output either 50 or 60 Hz. Which one you chose depends on which country you live in and the equipment being operated. Well there are some 400 Hz but that is for aircraft and ships. You chose which frequency your equipment operates at.

Philippines use 60 Hz at 220 volts.

Poor ole JohnP aka Sunny Solar is not from this planet.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunny Solar
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2012

sunking you are either stupid or ignorant.??
        im very sure he is NOT talking about 50 or 60 hz . im sure he is talking about the different types of inverter available in either 50 or 60 hz .. Mabe its just your knowledge of industrial and "home" inverters is somewhat lacking..

I seriously doubt he would be looking at 50hz inverters.He is in Phils..

Phils also has many buildings in major cities wired for both 110 and 220 v 60hz.

Clark and Subic were mostly wired 110v.. As ex navy man you should have known that.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Sunny Solar
          sunking you are either stupid or ignorant.??
          Well JohnP if he is talking about a Modified Sine Wave or to some extent True Sine Wave without transformers the Inverter he wants is the highest synthesizer frequency he can afford. not the lowest. . The more sampling points (higher frequency) the higher the accuracy and less distortion is created on the output. Philippines uses the same architecture as the USA 60 Hz at 220 volts. Anyone can look it up including you.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Sunking, there are new inverter topologies out now, to get rid of that "heavy ol transformer" and then pocket the price difference. The new "transformerless" inverters generate a 60 (or 50) Hz sine wave from a bunch of high frequency circuits all synchronized. While that works OK for Grid Tied systems, battery systems really benefit from the old 60# of transformer and 60Hz base frequency.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Fordtech
              • May 2015

Thanks guys, I found this and it answered my question somewhat. Yes the Philippines is 220v and 60hz. Its unfortunate that some appliances imported here run on 50hz. My microwave is one and it gains almost 10 minutes a week to the clock.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Fordtech
                Thanks guys, I found this and it answered my question somewhat.
                Crap you are talking about Grid Tied Inverters. My bad I thought you were talking about Battery Inverters. Big Difference and changes things.

Low Frequency would be my choice because it operates at True Sine Wave line frequency, very simple with a lot less to go wrong. Just heavy with a Boat Anchor 60 Hz transformer.

The high frequency is using the synthesizer aka Switch Mode using PWM and operates as Modified Sine Wave. It has one advantage of being around 2 to 3% more efficient and lighter. But it does so at the cost of complication with a lot more things to go wrong.

As for being able to start load inductive loads makes no difference being Grid Tied.

Yes the Philippines is 220v and 60hz. Its unfortunate that some appliances imported here run on 50hz. My microwave is one and it gains almost 10 minutes a week to the clock.
                Because they are using line frequency as the timing source.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2012

Sunking I think you need to stop sleeping under the sun all day. its destroying the last few active brain cells you have..
                  First you post saying I dont know what im talking about then a few posts later you post this....
                  Low Frequency would be my choice because it operates at True Sine Wave line frequency, very simple with a lot less to go wrong. Just heavy with a Boat Anchor 60 Hz transformer
                  THAT IS ESSENTIALLY AS I POSTED ..

And the reasons I gave are true...

Mabe you just inhaled to many battery fumes from the submarines.????

Comment

• Sunny Solar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2012

Fordtech dont know how this can be a problem..???""Its unfortunate that some appliances imported here run on 50hz. My microwave is one and it gains almost 10 minutes a week to the clock. "" Why is it unfortunate ? should they all self destruct if a 50hz device connected to 60 hz?.. And what about appliances like fridges here state on panel 50/60hz..??
                    All my tools from Aus are 50hz and work perfectly on 60hz as they should..

Comment

• Fordtech
                      • May 2015

The one I am looking at shipping weight with packaging is 83 pounds.

Comment

• Fordtech
                        • May 2015

Fordtech dont know how this can be a problem..???""Its unfortunate that some appliances imported here run on 50hz. My microwave is one and it gains almost 10 minutes a week to the clock. "" Why is it unfortunate ? should they all self destruct if a 50hz device connected to 60 hz?.. And what about appliances like fridges here state on panel 50/60hz..??
                        Because I have to fix the clock all the time because it gains time.

Comment

• bcroe
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2012

Most 50 HZ stuff will do well on 60 HZ; the reverse isn't always true. 50 needs more iron & copper to
                          avoid saturation. Don't try electric clocks. Bruce Roe

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

Because I have to fix the clock all the time because it gains time.
                            If it gains roughly 12 minutes per hour, the unit has a line frequency based clock. There may be an internal option for 50 or 60 Hz. If the unit gains anything less that this, it is just a flaky crystal oscillator clock.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Sunking I think you need to stop sleeping under the sun all day. its destroying the last few active brain cells you have..
                              First you post saying I dont know what im talking about then a few posts later you post this....
                              Low Frequency would be my choice because it operates at True Sine Wave line frequency, very simple with a lot less to go wrong. Just heavy with a Boat Anchor 60 Hz transformer
                              THAT IS ESSENTIALLY AS I POSTED ..

And the reasons I gave are true...

Mabe you just inhaled to many battery fumes from the submarines.????
                              After 5 years one would think you would learn how to click the QUOTE button. As I said I was under the impression he was asking about a Battery MSW Inverter.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...