Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar powered flood light with grid power backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered flood light with grid power backup?

Hi everyone,
    I have a rental property currently have 2 flood lights that stay on at night time in the parking area, and I would like to change them out to solar power. I do not want to do something crazy, and I think the easiest way to do it would be purchasing solar powered flood light that has grid power backup? (the backup power is to make sure the parking area never goes dark when the solar power runs out)
    Please let me know if such fixture exist....
    thank you very much

they don't exist , AFAIK.

You may at the building where the feed for the parking lot light is, install a UPS that is large enough to power the lights for several hours. They have a transfer switch and charger built in.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The other thing you need to consider is that whether such a product is available or not, if you are going to have to wire grid power to the lights anyway, the operating cost will be higher than just running off grid power 100%.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Why do you want to pay 10 times more for electricity?
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by luvsolar View Post
          Hi everyone,
          I have a rental property currently have 2 flood lights that stay on at night time in the parking area, and I would like to change them out to solar power. I do not want to do something crazy, and I think the easiest way to do it would be purchasing solar powered flood light that has grid power backup? (the backup power is to make sure the parking area never goes dark when the solar power runs out)
          Please let me know if such fixture exist....
          thank you very much
          If u used solar light, it is no need to use grid power backup, it's too expensive, wiring and Installation. I have made a system grid power backup, it cost much. battery, panel board, controller, lighting, bracket.
          Maybe u can try our products. All in one solar street light. it combined battery, PV, controller, light in one kit. very easy to install and deliver.

---Mod Note:
          Leon,
          We appreciate your contributions of information to the Forum, but the commercial site link in your signature goes too far in the direction of unpaid advertising. I have removed the link. Please do not put it back.
          Thank you.
          Last edited by inetdog; 09-23-2015, 05:42 AM.
          * sunsolarled *

Comment

I have a rental property currently have 2 flood lights that stay on at night time in the parking area, and I would like to change them out to solar power.
            What kind of lamps are currently installed, and how much energy are they using? Maybe you could achieve your goals more cheaply by simply switching to more efficient lamps.

For instance, Cree's BXSPRA03MG-U is sold at various shops online and is said to emit 109 lumens per watt. That's pretty efficient. Maybe it would cut your power bills enough without solar.

See also http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...a_lighting.pdf

I have seen solar parking lot lights in pasding but I doubt they ran all night.

Comment

What is your goal?

Is it to "be green?" In that case do a small grid tie system near your floodlights; it will be "greener" and more cost effective.

Is it to back up your light in case of power outage? In that case a cheap UPS is going to be much more cost effective.

Is it just to experiment? If so you can put something together with a 12V floodlight, a small 12V panel, a gel cell and a lighting controller. Most of them contain an LVD (low voltage disconnect) that opens when the battery gets too low. You can hack into this feature to use it to both disconnect the battery from the load and turn on a charger powered by AC.

Comment

Working...
              X