Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greg8325
    • Apr 2015

Painting White

So I live in Louisiana and heat will soon become an issue for my battery box and panels. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to paint the battery box behind the panels white and the aluminum frames around the solar panels white to help keep the heat as low as possible? It would be a pretty easy process, just put some painters tape and put some primer and paint white paint on the metal frame. Would that help any to keep the battery box and solar panels cooler during the hot summer months? Obviously I'm not talking about painting the glass, just the metal frame and the black battery box I have the solar controller and inverter in. I've even though on side not if painting the metal frame of my outside air conditioner condenser would help the unit work better since the cold is not usually a problem here, just heat.
  • solar pete
    Administrator
    • May 2014

Howdy Greg,

R u thinking about painting the actual panel frames? If so I haven't ever seen that done before and it might void your warranty. I think it would be a good idea to insulate your battery box, cheers

Comment

• greg8325
      • Apr 2015

Good point about the warranty. Didn't think about that. The box that I have for the batteries, solar controller and inverter is a pretty large black waterproof box. There is about a foot and a half of height space from the battery to the to of the box so there is decent air flow in the box and it's not that crammed inside there but I was just thinking it would be important to keep the temperature of the box cooler. I'm attaching some pics of how the box looks behind the solar panels for reference and an older pictures of what the inside looks like space wise. It's a little neater now but that was my first setup.Battery Box.jpgSolar Panel Battery Box.jpg

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by greg8325
        Good point about the warranty. Didn't think about that. The box that I have for the batteries, solar controller and inverter is a pretty large black waterproof box. There is about a foot and a half of height space from the battery to the to of the box so there is decent air flow in the box and it's not that crammed inside there but I was just thinking it would be important to keep the temperature of the box cooler. I'm attaching some pics of how the box looks behind the solar panels for reference and an older pictures of what the inside looks like space wise. It's a little neater now but that was my first setup.[ATTACH]6757[/ATTACH][ATTACH]6758[/ATTACH]
        You can try to using vents that allows air flow and any internal heat to escape. They could be made out of 180 degree pvc piping on top and screened vents on the sides.

Comment

• greg8325
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
          You can try to using vents that allows air flow and any internal heat to escape. They could be made out of 180 degree pvc piping on top and screened vents on the sides.
          Good tip. My concern was to also keep it water proof which is kind of a catch 22. Right now even in the hardest rain storm it stays completely dry.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by greg8325
            Good tip. My concern was to also keep it water proof which is kind of a catch 22. Right now even in the hardest rain storm it stays completely dry.
            There are a number of ways to allow air flow through vents yet still keep the enclosure classified as NEMA 3R which will keep everything inside dry even when it rains.

For the inlets openings you can install vent covers that will keep wind blown rain from getting in yet allow air to flow. For the exit vent you can use a 180 degree elbow that allows the air to get out but the opening is pointed at the ground so rain water can't get in.

Check out an enclosure manufacturer and look at the accessories to see if weather proof venting can be added in the field.

Comment

Working...