X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mageus
    • May 2015

Another system recommendation request

EDIT:
    I've decided to hold off on a purchase for now. I appreciate all the input I've received.

==============

Southern California
    annual usage - 8800kWh
    cash purchase
    numbers are gross; local and federal rebates drop it 40-50%

1a)
    SolarWorld 280 x22 (6.16kW)
    SolarEdge
    $4.30/W

1b) same company as 1a
    Hanwa Qcel 250 x25 (6.25kW)
    SolarEdge
    $4/W

2)
    Hyundai His-M260RG x24 (6.24kW)
    SMA SB-series
    panel upgrade
    $3.90/W

3)
    SolarWorld 285 x18 (5.13kW)
    Enphase M250
    $4.25/W

4)
    SolarWorld 280 x 20 (5.6kW)
    SolarEdge 6000
    $3.98/W

My priority is cost. I don't require 100% replacement, nor am I planning to increase my usage in the future. I'm OK with a 10 year ROI. I'm counting on net metering not going away.
    My other post references non-cost issues. Any advice there would also be appreciated.

Any opinions?
  • thejq
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by mageus
    My priority is cost. I don't require 100% replacement, nor am I planning to increase my usage in the future. I'm OK with a 10 year ROI. I'm counting on net metering not going away.
    My other post references non-cost issues. Any advice there would also be appreciated.
    FWIW, I'd suggest that cost is an important factor, but getting the right installation is more important. Otherwise, if you get roof leaks or other structural damage, you might end up losing more than you saved.

With that said, depending on where you live and the local competitive landscape, the prices sound a little high. Proposal (2) is a little more reasonable relatively. If possible, I'd call a few more installers. Start with solarreviews.com and yelp.com. If you start by telling them exactly what equipment you need, you can cut through a lot of crap at the beginning. Negotiation takes time and finesse, you're not going to get the best price right away, unless someone referred you. It's ok to call back and ask for their bottom price or price match someone else's quote.
    16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

While trying to avoid like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth, those prices look a bit high. On the other hand, a good reputable installer is worth a hard but fairly negotiated premium.

On negotiating, While respecting Thejq's and other's opinions, I do not believe it's a good idea to reveal competing vendor's prices to other vendors. For starters, vendor's opinion of you will drop and they will be less cooperative. Think like the other guy. You are giving them negative reinforcement to be cooperative.

As a practical matter, if vendors know where they need to be, they will go there because they have no reason to go lower. If they don't know where the price is, they might feel the need to go lower. Besides, if they are professional and sharp, they MAY and probably do have a good idea APPROXIMATELY where the competition is anyway. If they are not professional and sharp, why deal with them in the first place ? Buyers have little to gain and a risk of leaving money on the table by sharing prices. You know where the competition is, sharing prices means you're dong part of the vendor's job.

Same goes for price matching. A true quality vendor may match the price of "Larry With a Ladder Solar" to get the business (although I doubt it just now as selling solar around here at this time is like shooting fish in a barrel for sellers), but may then feel a need to skimp on quality in ways you can't begin to imagine much less identify and monitor. If you are after quality as well as price, you are working against yourself.

OP: Respectfully, your priority may be cost, but too much attention to first cost at the expense of a longer view toward lasting quality, more trouble free operation and service when/if needed is false economy.

I'd suggest a look toward most bang for the buck may be a better goal than low buck, if that's what you mean by cost.

You get what you pay for and you get what you negotiate. Most of the time those two things need to be balanced. Squeeze too hard and you will defeat your own long term quality goals. Negotiate poorly and you'll leave $$ on the table.

FWIW, I've found it helps to have realistic goals and priorities firmly in my mind before I start, but be ready and tactically flexible during the negotiating as new information floats to the surface just like the big chunks in a septic tank.

I'd get more quotes and shoot for ~~ $3.50/Watt before tax credits/rebates. I think Thejq and others have done that and seem happy.

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

I would go with #2 unless you have shading issues, then 1B would be appropriate.
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• mageus
          • May 2015

I've called 9 different companies. 3 wouldn't call back reliably. 2 have ridiculous pricing, with one of those people being extremely arrogant. I have 3 current quotes with a 4th one pending a visit today.
          I will need a breaker panel upgrade, and have a thin-concrete tile roof that many installers are concerned about. Only 1 chimney that interferes, and no other shading issues.

So, the consensus appears I should be able to get SolarWorld + Enphase/SolarEdge for <$4/W? There is a bit of a time crunch - the local rebate submission ends 5/28, and I need plans in by then. I'm not sure how many other companies I can call. If people think the pricing I listed is high, I will just wait until the next rebate submission period.

Comment

• thejq
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

There is a bit of a time crunch - the local rebate submission ends 5/28, and I need plans in by then. I'm not sure how many other companies I can call. If people think the pricing I listed is high, I will just wait until the next rebate submission period.
            That could be be part of your problem. I remember at the end of last year, everyone was trying to get solar installed before 12/31 to claim the tax credit. My installer was telling me that they were booked out by 1-2 months. As a result, prices also went up. Locally, right around tax time seems to be the low season for solar -- year end rush is done and both heating and AC are off so bills are low.
            16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• mageus
              • May 2015

Estimates have gone up, since the utility company requires a panel upgrade. OP updated.

I don't think I can break $4/W for SolarWorld in this area at this time. One vendor (a large reputable one) wants $4.75 for SolarWorld + Enphase and won't budge. Per my own fault, I started calling vendors late during this round of rebate submissions.
              Should I bite, or wait until the next rebate submission?

Comment

• solar pete
                Administrator
                • May 2014

Howdy

IMHO offer 2 seems the best to me. Id ask those guys to Price Canadian Solar and SMA and see what you get. also the installers who seemed to be concerned with your tile roof should be considered, as this suggests to me that they do their own installs and care about the quality of the install. Depending on how old the building is you might want to get your roof checked out first and you defiantly want to make sure you have a bunch of spare tiles on hand for install day, good luck with it cheers

Comment

• sensij
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2014

Estimates have gone up, since the utility company requires a panel upgrade. OP updated.

I don't think I can break $4/W for SolarWorld in this area at this time. One vendor (a large reputable one) wants $4.75 for SolarWorld + Enphase and won't budge. Per my own fault, I started calling vendors late during this round of rebate submissions.
                  Should I bite, or wait until the next rebate submission?
                  Are you also an Anaheim Utility customer? Another thread just started with similar time pressure relating to a rebate. How often do those rebate periods open up?

I'll send you a PM with my installer... should be able to get you one more price to compare before going forward. If there is any doubt about that rebate being offered in the future, I'd take the best deal you can get now.
                  CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• Riverside Solar
                    Banned
                    • May 2015

Anaheim Utilities are a great

Anaheim Utilities are a great value when compared to the investor owned utilities. Mageus are your quotations inclusive of the breaker box upgrade and the thin tile roof?

Comment

• mageus
                      • May 2015

Originally posted by Riverside Solar
                      Anaheim Utilities are a great value when compared to the investor owned utilities. Mageus are your quotations inclusive of the breaker box upgrade and the thin tile roof?
                      The breaker box has center-tapped mains, which Anaheim Public doesn't want. The quotes don't take account the breaker box upgrade, which is a large amount ($1500-3000 depending on vendor). That markedly brings up the $/W. The salespeople say it's like getting a new breaker box at a discount, but it's not like I needed a new breaker box.

They are all aware of the concrete tile. They say it's not a problem, but will add to the cost if it becomes a problem. Not very comforting.

Comment

• mageus
                        • May 2015

Thanx to everyone who replied in the thread.
                        I've decided to hold off for now. I don't get a good vibe from most of the vendors, the prices are high, and the rebate submission period is upon me. The rebate submission process itself looks to be a problem with some of the vendors. I may reconsider at the next rebate submission period.

Comment

Working...