N00b who needs a fan. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N00b who needs a fan. Help!

I have a small system in my house, 2 panels, controller, 2 batteries and an inverter. I want to plug a fan into my inverter. Any reccomendations for a low power consumption fan that will plug into the outlet? Are there web sites that cater to low power consumption applicances out there??

Originally posted by Virtualnorm View Post
    I have a small system in my house, 2 panels, controller, 2 batteries and an inverter. I want to plug a fan into my inverter. Any reccomendations for a low power consumption fan that will plug into the outlet? Are there web sites that cater to low power consumption applicances out there??
    Big mistake. You first determine your daily watt hour consumption, then design a system to meet the requirement. It will soon dawn on how big of a mistake you made now trying to fit you use to the limitations you put on yourself.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Big mistake. You first determine your daily watt hour consumption, then design a system to meet the requirement. It will soon dawn on how big of a mistake you made now trying to fit you use to the limitations you put on yourself.

Although a small system, my needs are not much more than a 10 watt lightbulb and charging a cell phone. My design was overbuilt for my immediate needs so i could learn and experiment and grow the system. I am a hobbiest. I am not relying on this for 24x7 power. That may come some day.

Now back to my question.... Do you have a reccomendation for a low power consumption fan, or do you have a reccomendation to a web site that specializes in low power consumption appliances?

Thanks in advance,
      VN

Comment

Although a small system, my needs are not much more than a 10 watt lightbulb and charging a cell phone. My design was overbuilt for my immediate needs so i could learn and experiment and grow the system. I am a hobbiest. I am not relying on this for 24x7 power. That may come some day.

Now back to my question.... Do you have a reccomendation for a low power consumption fan, or do you have a reccomendation to a web site that specializes in low power consumption appliances?

Thanks in advance,
        VN
        Unfortunately I do not have any specific appliance supply house to recommend. I know there are small wattage DC fans available which should use less than converting your battery voltage to AC voltage. Also AC motors (no matter what the size) have poor power factors which waste more electricity.

If you knew how much air (CFM) your fan needs to be to cool you off that might speed up a way of finding it.

Comment

idk what to put for a title

Hi, if you want something like that and your system is 12v use a 120mm pc fan or similar.

Comment

endless breeze fantastic fan only uses 3.5 amps at full power and puts out good airflow. But its a 12 volt only fan and costs about 70 dollars. You pay for the namebrand, but not many companies make the large 12 volt fans.
            If your mechanically inclined you can build your own with a electric car radiator fan, a 10 inch 80 watt fan found on ebay only uses about 4 amps (i measured it with a dc wattmeter) you can find them for 25 dollars on ebay, I use these on my swamp cooler builds and they are fairly reliable and put out as much air as the fantastic fan. You can get a 5 dollar 10 amp pwm speed control if you want to throttle it down or up.

Comment

Originally posted by jony101 View Post
              endless breeze fantastic fan only uses 3.5 amps at full power and puts out good airflow. But its a 12 volt only fan and costs about 70 dollars. You pay for the namebrand, but not many companies make the large 12 volt fans.
              I'll second the Endless Breeze dc fan. Forget using an inverter to run an ac powered fan for your needs - too inefficient.

When you come home to a dark house and it is 95F inside due to a power outage, that $70 is well spent. Compared to a gaggle of dc trucker-fans I used to use, there is NO comparison. It's the real deal and you'll toss any other homemade computer-fan / trucker fans etc in the trash. You won't regret it. Quiet for the amount of air it throws, but don't expect hospital room quiet.

Comment

Working...
              X