Enphase Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevcor620 View Post
    I haven't seen the specifics of this legislation, but what if the mandate is for 100% "net" renewable? It may still be far too aggressive for some, but it doesn't seem impossible. I draw from the grid at night and on rainy days, but at the end of the year, I produce about 110% of what I consume, therefore I would be meeting a 100% RPS mandate if I was required to comply. I would think that HI has FAR more optimal conditions for solar than Massachusetts, so if they are indeed talking about "net" renewable energy, doesn't it deserve to at least be discussed civilly? On a side note, I am new to this forum and given that it is a free and privately run site, the admins/moderators can run it any way they choose. I get that. That said, it is just my opinion that I have a been a little suprised and dissapointed at some at the tone of some of the discussion. I would hope that everyone would feel confident to express an opinion and have a lively debate about it if others disagree, without being called things like "a fool", "stupid", "whiny green loud mouth", among other things by a moderator! Wow. Again, just a suggestion. We can disagree without being disagreeable and personally attacking others.
    mostly a + 1 from me, but I do understand some people get frustrated when they know (all of the mods here know a bit about solar) someone is speaking rubbish. I would call for less name calling but it is going to happen from time to time, it is a forum of no illusions

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
      mostly a + 1 from me, but I do understand some people get frustrated when they know (all of the mods here know a bit about solar) someone is speaking rubbish. I would call for less name calling but it is going to happen from time to time, it is a forum of no illusions
      Thanks Pete. As a Human Resource Manager, I admittedly have a hyper-sensitivity to discourse. It's an annoying trait of us HR "people persons"

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
        mostly a + 1 from me, but I do understand some people get frustrated when they know (all of the mods here know a bit about solar) someone is speaking rubbish.
        Please, point out the rubbish in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kevcor620 View Post
          I haven't seen the specifics of this legislation, but what if the mandate is for 100% "net" renewable? It may still be far too aggressive for some, but it doesn't seem impossible. I draw from the grid at night and on rainy days, but at the end of the year, I produce about 110% of what I consume, therefore I would be meeting a 100% RPS mandate if I was required to comply. I would think that HI has FAR more optimal conditions for solar than Massachusetts, so if they are indeed talking about "net" renewable energy, doesn't it deserve to at least be discussed civilly? On a side note, I am new to this forum and given that it is a free and privately run site, the admins/moderators can run it any way they choose. I get that. That said, it is just my opinion that I have a been a little suprised and dissapointed at some at the tone of some of the discussion. I would hope that everyone would feel confident to express an opinion and have a lively debate about it if others disagree, without being called things like "a fool", "stupid", "whiny green loud mouth", among other things by a moderator! Wow. Again, just a suggestion. We can disagree without being disagreeable and personally attacking others.
          I agree that the legislation wording may have a different meaning and that 100% is misleading. Time will tell if the specifics come to light and are understood better.

Maybe some of the "tone" in these posts is not as supportive as you would expect. That could be because of us grumpy old men or it could be coming from years of hands on experience (concerning power generation and distribution) trying to get others to better understand the dynamics.

What most people don't understand is that even a minor issue lasting 1/2 of a second can and has put people in the dark. That is a nuisance to most people but can be very expensive to manufacturing and must be avoided.

The expectations from the customer is for continuous, reliable and steady power 24/7. To provide continuous Gigawatts of power requires a balance of excess % generation and a very quick distribution system to react to changes so that no one loses power for even a brief period of time. That means that even during the daytime the electric suppliers need to be able to increase generation or redirect where it is going based on demand and needs. As far as I know RE doesn't give you that flexibility to quickly increase generation only to decrease it. Fossil fuel generation has that flexibility and while it can be expensive the expectation of 100% grid power needs to be met.

So please hang in there and hopefully this topic and others can be discussed so that we both can learn something new.

Comment

Working...
          X