Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bberry
    • May 2015

Enphase Battery?

This seems to be a small LifoPo4 battery that attaches to panel racking. Is there a good idea here, or is this just a somewhat desperate attempt by Enphase to find a battery solution for their microinverter architecture? It's an "AC Battery", so, wow. I wonder if it vibrates at 50/60hz?

Last week microinverter supplier Enphase Energy unveiled its AC storage product at the SPI trade show in Las Vegas. The announcement attracted considerable hype and pv magazine spoke to Ameet Konkar, Enphase's senior director of strategic initiatives about the move.
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

Looks like they are all trying to be a " Me Too " in the solar / storage world. Time will tell how it all works out. If it's the only way to get grid tie connected and POCO's are involved, it'll work. The consumer will benefit very little, if any.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Willy T
      Looks like they are all trying to be a " Me Too " in the solar / storage world. Time will tell how it all works out. If it's the only way to get grid tie connected and POCO's are involved, it'll work. The consumer will benefit very little, if any.
      I just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times about Duke Electric investing $1MM in a 100kw solar / energy storage system at USF in St. Petersburg Florida. They want to investigate and research "energy storage" hardware matched to a solar pv system.

No details on the "battery system" hardware yet.

Comment

• bberry
        • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
        I just read an article in the Tampa Bay Times about Duke Electric investing $1MM in a 100kw solar / energy storage system.......
        That's good Duke is at least is making some effort.

It is amusing to read about Tuscon Electric wanting to expand with gas turbines. Even the National Bank of Dubai thinks that is a stupid move. When the oil rich middle east is going solar, it's time for southern Arizona to wake the hell up.

Originally posted by Willy T
        I'm thinking that investors are insisting on a storage strategy, for which enphase is not well suited. The stock has been volatile, even with the company seemingly doing good sales.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

I don't think Dubai has much oil, or CH4 for that matter.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by bberry
            That's good Duke is at least is making some effort.

It is amusing to read about Tuscon Electric wanting to expand with gas turbines. Even the National Bank of Dubai thinks that is a stupid move. When the oil rich middle east is going solar, it's time for southern Arizona to wake the hell up.

I'm thinking that investors are insisting on a storage strategy, for which enphase is not well suited. The stock has been volatile, even with the company seemingly doing good sales.
            Duke is in the eyewash business to pacify green fools - nothing more

For peaking power you want solar panels? Not very bright - you would probably be the first to bitch when you flipped the switch and nothing comes - due to lack of solar resource at a given moment.

Investors? You mean some whiny green loud mouths? Not real investors for sure.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bberry
              • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
              I don't think Dubai has much oil, or CH4 for that matter.
              Dubai still has a lot of oil and off shore gas for only 2 million people.

Ironically, the crash of oil prices has postponed the Saudi's major solar electrification project. Their society is deep in the red with $60 oil.

In related news today, from the Wall Street Journal:

Consumers should be paying a whopping $5 trillion more a year for energy to cover the hidden health and environmental costs of using fossil fuels, the International Monetary Fund said Monday.

Yes, the International Monetary Fund. A group primarily consisting of the developed world's heavyweight bankers and economists. Your typical "greenies". Five trillion is about six percent of world GDP.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Dubai still has a lot of oil and off shore gas for only 2 million people.

Ironically, the crash of oil prices has postponed the Saudi's major solar electrification project. Their society is deep in the red with $60 oil.

Consumers should be paying a whopping $5 trillion more a year for energy to cover the hidden health and environmental costs of using fossil fuels, the International Monetary Fund said Monday.

Yes, the International Monetary Fund. A group primarily consisting of the developed world's heavyweight bankers and economists. Your typical "greenies". Five trillion is about six percent of world GDP.

http://blog-imfdirect.imf.org/2015/0...bsidy-problem/
                And how much are people paying to cover health issues from smoking, alcohol, drugs, over eating, etc. Do you think that environmental issues from fossil fuels is the big ticket item?

If you want to see less pollution then stop using electricity and purchasing finished products. You also contribute to those environmental health costs but IMO aren't doing anything personally to reduce them.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Dubai still has a lot of oil and off shore gas for only 2 million people. A gas expert? They have very limited gas supply in reality - one of the poor emirates in that regard.

Ironically, the crash of oil prices has postponed the Saudi's major solar electrification project. Their society is deep in the red with $60 oil. Deep in the red? Not really, they just don't have extra cash to throw at things.

Consumers should be paying a whopping $5 trillion more a year for energy to cover the hidden health and environmental costs of using fossil fuels, the International Monetary Fund said Monday. Quoting the IMF? A ploitical organization on something like this?

Yes, the International Monetary Fund. A group primarily consisting of the developed world's heavyweight bankers and economists. Your typical "greenies". Five trillion is about six percent of world GDP. Drink the koolaid!

http://blog-imfdirect.imf.org/2015/0...bsidy-problem/
                  Please try to get a bit of real life into your mind.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• bberry
                    • May 2015

Aloha

More real life:

Hawaii has become the first state to mandate a move to 100% renewable energy. In a 74-2 vote by the Hawaiian legislature, lawmakers have passed a bill that requires the state to be 100% dependent on renewable energy by the year 2045.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

More real life:

Hawaii has become the first state to mandate a move to 100% renewable energy. In a 74-2 vote by the Hawaiian legislature, lawmakers have passed a bill that requires the state to be 100% dependent on renewable energy by the year 2045.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...-energy-effort
                      LOL. What foolishness.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• emartin00
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Sunking
                        LOL. What foolishness.
                        It's really not that foolish, since they need to import any other fuels from the mainland.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by emartin00
                          It's really not that foolish, since they need to import any other fuels from the mainland.
                          What is foolish is that when they go 100% renewable they will have a choice of going dark at night, running off very expensive "storage" systems or firing up them fossil fuel generators.

RE is not and IMO will not be a 24/7 energy producer for many decades. So if you decide to visit Hawaii in 2045 I would suggest you bring a flashlight. Your gona need it.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by emartin00
                            Not foolish - total stupidity!
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Samsolar
                              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                              What is foolish is that when they go 100% renewable they will have a choice of going dark at night, running off very expensive "storage" systems or firing up them fossil fuel generators.

RE is not and IMO will not be a 24/7 energy producer for many decades. So if you decide to visit Hawaii in 2045 I would suggest you bring a flashlight. Your gona need it.
                              Just be clear, you feel you have a handle on what RE in Hawaii will look like in 30 years? I'll raise my hand and say I don't, but since you do, please tell us how each of the horses in the energy race will be doing. How much will storage systems cost in 30 years? A barrel of oil? Environmental regs?

Comment

Working...