24v 2000w pure sine wave inverter 4000w surge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v 2000w pure sine wave inverter 4000w surge

picked up a new 24v 2000w pure sine wave inverter cheap, will it work ok off a 24v 200ah battery bank for short bursts on a 1350w coffee machine and maybe a 600w washing machine ? thanks

the washer may be ok but the coffee machine will probably overheat it.

Comment

Originally posted by almac View Post
      picked up a new 24v 2000w pure sine wave inverter cheap, will it work ok off a 24v 200ah battery bank for short bursts on a 1350w coffee machine and maybe a 600w washing machine ? thanks
      Only way of knowing if that inverter will work is to use it on your equipment.

Best case is that it works and no item releases its' internal "smoke".

Worse case is that it will not only fail to work but mess up your appliances so they no longer work.

It is a gamble when using "cheap" electronic hardware that is not design for real life usage.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        Only way of knowing if that inverter will work is to use it on your equipment.

Best case is that it works and no item releases its' internal "smoke".

Worse case is that it will not only fail to work but mess up your appliances so they no longer work.

It is a gamble when using "cheap" electronic hardware that is not design for real life usage.
        when i say i picked up a new inverter "cheap" i wasnt saying the product was crap. it was on special and is not "cheap" in australia there are regulations concerning electronic products so when buying from retail stores you can buy with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Solar View Post
          the washer may be ok but the coffee machine will probably overheat it.
          so long as the surge is under 4000w should be ok , the inverter has a bank of cooling fans, i was actually more concerned about the battery bank not the inverter

Comment

so long as the surge is under 4000w should be ok , the inverter has a bank of cooling fans, i was actually more concerned about the battery bank not the inverter
            Inverter is only one weak spot. The real weak spots are the battery an dwiring is not capable of delivering that kind of current for any length of time. At 2000 watts @ 24 volts is 100+ amps on a 200 AH battery. Unless that battery is Lithium or very high end AGM, the voltage will collapse forcing the inverter to shut down. Even if the battery can do it then the wiring is the next weak spot. Very doubtful Joe Homeowner has the tools and skill to necessary to terminate a 100+ amp connection. If incorrectly done at best the Inverter shuts down, at worse will catch fire.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Inverter is only one weak spot. The real weak spots are the battery an dwiring is not capable of delivering that kind of current for any length of time. At 2000 watts @ 24 volts is 100+ amps on a 200 AH battery. Unless that battery is Lithium or very high end AGM, the voltage will collapse forcing the inverter to shut down. Even if the battery can do it then the wiring is the next weak spot. Very doubtful Joe Homeowner has the tools and skill to necessary to terminate a 100+ amp connection. If incorrectly done at best the Inverter shuts down, at worse will catch fire.
              thanks, i wont use that much wattage continuosly. i only intend to use this for the coffee machine and 600w washing machine, 500w blender. the cables on the battery bank are thicker than cranking cables , the inverter cables are about the same thikness, came with the inverter. my main concern is for the batteries, they are 2 x 12v 100ah flooded lead acid. i dont have any concern about 500w or 600w, the coffee machine is rated at 1350w and runs that when heating for bursts of 30secs on off, the inverter is fused so doubt i will have a fire from the inverter

Comment

C10 discharge rate (20A) x 24V = 480Wx.92 inverter eff = 441 Watts

a coffee pot ins't like a skill saw, you may run a skill saw for 10 seconds to cut a 2x4, a coffee pot is going to consume max power for 10 or more minutes
                1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
                  C10 discharge rate (20A) x 24V = 480Wx.92 inverter eff = 441 Watts

a coffee pot ins't like a skill saw, you may run a skill saw for 10 seconds to cut a 2x4, a coffee pot is going to consume max power for 10 or more minutes
                  the coffee machine is not a coffee pot, its a cappicino maker. it runs for about 2-3mins. the heating is on off 30secs on, then off for about 10secs, then on 30secs. takes about 3 mins to make a cappicino.. so is my battery bank too small? c10 discharge rate needs to be 60A?

Comment

I have a 2300 watt 24v inverter with 4 battery 12v 100 ah
                    I use a 4 slice toaster 1500 watt for 5 min cycle
                    The voltage when the inverter is loaded is 12.3 or 12.4 when the battery are almost full
                    The terminal on the inverter and the battery stay cold
                    Your voltage will probably go under 12 v with 2 battery

Comment

thanks for the replies, tested it out on the coffee machine and the fridge. it had no problem with the coffee machine or the fridge. batteries were topped up again by the panels in no time. inverter didnt even get luke warm the fans didnt need to kick in at all, the voltage on the battery bank dropped to 23.5v while the coffee machine was drawing 1350w , some replies to this thread were just rubbish

Comment

the voltage on the battery bank dropped to 23.5v while the coffee machine was drawing 1350w , some replies to this thread were just rubbish
                        Rubbish? You were just 1 volt away from Low Voltage Shut Down. Your voltage dropped from 27 volts @ float to 23.5 volts or 13%. 2% is design limit. You exceeded your limit by 5 fold.

If your panels had not been supplementing the batteries would have been sitting at 25.2 volts assuming they are fully charged. Try that in the morning when the batteries have discharged with cloud cover and your test results will be different. Boom Boom Out Go The Lights.

Issue is batteries have Internal Resistance. Current through resistance drops voltage. A battery internal resistance is directly related to it size. To stay with in 2 to 3% voltage sag discharge current is limited to about C/8. Go higher and you drop more than 2 to 3% as you stated you observed. You can get away with drawing excessive current as you did because your batteries were fully charged, and your panels were supplementing battery current.

It is not rubbish, it is the law of physics.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

ah thanks, so i really need a 500ah battery bank to do loads of 1500w for a c/8 discharge rate. my 200ah battery bank can do just 600w load. got it. so i will need to use my 7 panals to get my 500ah battery bank. so untill then my coffees will have to wait till the midday sun on a full battery bank. dang, looks like i will have to start the gen in the mornings

ok been thinking, to expand this on the cheap, i use 4 x 12v 100ah batteries, do 2 sets of 2 x 12 batteries in parallel, then configure these 2 sets in series to get a 24v battery bank of 400ah. put up another 3 x 250w panels in parallel same as the existing set of 3 panels in parallel. then i only need one more chi-com 30amp CC . so that will be 2 x chi-com 30amp CCs and have them both in a 24v series charge config. i should get away with a 400ah battery bank just like Wakie does

Comment

Originally posted by Wakie View Post
                            I have a 2300 watt 24v inverter with 4 battery 12v 100 ah
                            I use a 4 slice toaster 1500 watt for 5 min cycle
                            The voltage when the inverter is loaded is 12.3 or 12.4 when the battery are almost full
                            The terminal on the inverter and the battery stay cold
                            Your voltage will probably go under 12 v with 2 battery
                            Is this a typo? A 24V inverter won't work at 12V
                            1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

thanks for the replies, tested it out on the coffee machine and the fridge. it had no problem with the coffee machine or the fridge. batteries were topped up again by the panels in no time. inverter didnt even get luke warm the fans didnt need to kick in at all, the voltage on the battery bank dropped to 23.5v while the coffee machine was drawing 1350w , some replies to this thread were just rubbish
                              Glad it worked out for you. As I stated the only way I knew to be sure was to test the inverter on your appliances.

Now that you know it works I would keep an eye on my battery system to make sure it is really getting back to 100% SOC. Using a volt meter will not give you that information. You either use a hydrometer and measure the density of the fluid or use an expensive battery testing system that will put it under load and measure the change of discharge.

My guess is that going below 24 volts repetitively will cause one or more of the cells in that system to have an early failure.

Hope it works out for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X