Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Saps
    • May 2015

100 Panels in series???

Hello everyone my name is saps I'm very keen on electronics and love "d.i.y" and I have a question.

I have 100x 1.4 volt solar panels if I hooked them up in series

Positive to Positive
    Negative to Negative
    Then choose a lead solar panel.

Would this work? Is there anything I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
  • sdold
    • Jun 2014

What do you want to do? You mentioned that you want to connect them is series, but described connecting them in parallel. What do you mean by a "lead solar panel"?

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Saps
      Is there anything I should consider?
      Sure is. Start by learning the difference between Series and Parallel circuits would be a good place start.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Saps
        • May 2015

Originally posted by sdold
        What do you want to do? You mentioned that you want to connect them is series, but described connecting them in parallel. What do you mean by a "lead solar panel"?
        Basically I want to connect all (100) solar panels together to make one to then run through a charge controller to charge a series of battery's, some of the terminology I'm using May be incorrect but please bare with me I'm new to solar systems.

By lead solar panel I ment, like in a series of battery's.

Thanks.

Comment

• Saps
          • May 2015

Anyone else here to answer if that would be the correct way to to wire them??

+to+
          -to-
          Then running two leads (positive and negative) from a solar panel in the grid (probably a corner one), then into a charge controller, then into a battery bank (wired +to+, -to-)

Thanks.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

Anyone else here to answer if that would be the correct way to to wire them??

+to+
            -to-
            Then running two leads (positive and negative) from a solar panel in the grid (probably a corner one), then into a charge controller, then into a battery bank (wired +to+, -to-)

Thanks.
            When you get your terminology down, then we can begin to communicate.

there is no lead solar panel.

+ to + & - to - is Parallel wiring

+ to - to + to - is Serial wiring

I have 100x 1.4 volt solar panels if I hooked them up in series
            i don't know of any source for 1.4v solar panels. Bare wafers are .45V
            It takes many wafers in series (about 20 volts worth) to make a "panel" that can charge a 12V battery via a Charge Controller

More than 2 panels in Parallel, requires fuses or circuit breakers at each panel, to prevent a faulty panel from being burned by the rest of the good panels.

The Grid is the commercial power service coming into the meter panel at your house. It's not used to describe a PV array or a battery array.
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Saps
              • May 2015

When I say grid in the way I said it because I have 100 panels they would have to be in a grid fashion look I'm asking for a fairly basic answer and all I'm getting is criticism....

And you will find the panels I'm talking about in garden solar lights so before you tell me there is no such thing and explain why there isn't RESEARCH.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

When I say grid in the way I said it because I have 100 panels they would have to be in a grid fashion look I'm asking for a fairly basic answer and all I'm getting is criticism....

And you will find the panels I'm talking about in garden solar lights so before you tell me there is no such thing and explain why there isn't RESEARCH.
                It is hard to answer questions when they do not make sense. They were not criticizing you they just need you to understand you are using your electrical terms incorrectly.

I am not even sure was a 1.4 volt panel is. Maybe you mean 1.4 watt.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Sadly, I'm afraid we have a failure to communicate.

Perhaps someone else will try.
                  Last edited by Mike90250; 05-18-2015, 11:56 AM.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Mike90250

I think the OP has 100 of those small wattage solar garden light cells that he wants to wire together to get a single "array" to charge a battery bank. The "final or first" panel might be considered the "Lead" one but again I am guessing.

Not sure of the charge controller but depending on what that is (and the battery bank) he might have issues due to the low output of those 100 devices.

Comment

• Sunking
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Mike90250

Never mind.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Saps
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
                        I think the OP has 100 of those small wattage solar garden light cells that he wants to wire together to get a single "array" to charge a battery bank. The "final or first" panel might be considered the "Lead" one but again I am guessing.

Not sure of the charge controller but depending on what that is (and the battery bank) he might have issues due to the low output of those 100 devices.
                        You've got the idea mate.

Basically in non direct sunlight these solar panels put out 1.4v and 0.83 amps (tested with a Multi-meter), with should make them a 1.1782 watt solar panel.

I've now changed my mind I no longer want to hook 100 of them up together, I only want to recreate a couple of 12v panels in a "array", to then go through a charge controller ( which I don't own yet which is another reason why I'm here but that's a later post lol), and into my battery bank (again I don't own yet).

I just want to know if it can be done or I will just chuck these panels in the bin lol, I like to salvage and make projects.

Thanks everyone but I may be confusing....

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

You've got the idea mate.

Basically in non direct sunlight these solar panels put out 1.4v and 0.83 amps (tested with a Multi-meter), with should make them a 1.1782 watt solar panel.

I've now changed my mind I no longer want to hook 100 of them up together, I only want to recreate a couple of 12v panels in a "array", to then go through a charge controller ( which I don't own yet which is another reason why I'm here but that's a later post lol), and into my battery bank (again I don't own yet).

I just want to know if it can be done or I will just chuck these panels in the bin lol, I like to salvage and make projects.

Thanks everyone but I may be confusing....
                          The end result of your efforts will be some 12V panels that can only produce around .8 amps. That will be enough to charge an 8 amp hour 12V battery. Not particularly useful except for cell phone charging and small lighting uses (bigger than individual garden lights though!)
                          Or you can build a panel the combines several parallel strings of your small panels to get more current.
                          Remember that a "12V" battery panel will have an open circuit voltage in the neighborhood of 20V.
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Saps
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by inetdog
                            The end result of your efforts will be some 12V panels that can only produce around .8 amps. That will be enough to charge an 8 amp hour 12V battery. Not particularly useful except for cell phone charging and small lighting uses (bigger than individual garden lights though!)
                            Or you can build a panel the combines several parallel strings of your small panels to get more current.
                            Remember that a "12V" battery panel will have an open circuit voltage in the neighborhood of 20V.
                            So for instance for my bedroom lighting would be a suitable application for these panels? If so that's still a great use for them than the rubbish dump...

Could you provide me with a little more information to a charge controller( or if I even need one I read some where with low voltages you don't need one but I'm not sure if that counts here), the battery's I could use and how many of these panels I'd need to complete a "12v panel", and how do I wire the panels (+ to +) (- to -) or (+ to - ) then use the first or last panel to wired to the charge controller?

Thanks again this help is very much appreciated.

I may have a solar setup in each room for the lighting.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

So for instance for my bedroom lighting would be a suitable application for these panels?
                              Can you light up your room with your cell phone?
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...