Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculating the optimum battery bank AH's for a 24V system with 855 PV Watts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculating the optimum battery bank AH's for a 24V system with 855 PV Watts?

What would be considered the optimal (or ideal) battery bank capacity in AH's for a 24V system with 3 x 285W panels wired in series? When I run the Midnight Solar Kid Sizing Tool for these panels it calculates that charging amps will be 29.7. Do I simply multiply 29.7 x 8 and then conclude that the ideal FLA battery bank match for 3 x 285 Watt solar panels should have 238 AH's (@ 20 hour)?

370 to 425 AH will work best for that amount panels if you don't have a lot of load during the sun hours. what you need to check is the panel watts less losses divide by the battery voltage, also less the load then multiply by 10 to get the battery AH.

Comment

Optimum is easy 4th grade math of C/10. So if your panels are generating 29.7 amps 297 AH is optimum. The acceptable range is C/12 to C/8. So that is a range of 237 yo 356 AH. But 297 is the sweet spot.

Well I guess if you live in the USA and use public education it is collegiate math. 4th grade any other country or private schools.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

I have 460 watt of panel on a 200 ah battery on 24 volt
        I rarely see 17 A of charging
        In the morning the panel generate less Ampere but charge the battery anyway
        By noon my charge controller is always on absorb and limit current
        Is it bad for my battery ?

Comment

Originally posted by Wakie View Post
          I have 460 watt of panel on a 200 ah battery on 24 volt
          I rarely see 17 A of charging
          In the morning the panel generate less Ampere but charge the battery anyway
          By noon my charge controller is always on absorb and limit current
          Is it bad for my battery ?
          It is normal if you don't deep discharge your battery, mine start about 1pm.

Comment

Working...
          X