Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Wrong answers.
    I see where you're going, you think I should just get the Honda. It would make it so much easier i must admit. THe thing that most attracts me to it is that is that it is the only inverter generator that is fuel injected!! But gasoline storage REALLY REALLY sucks!! I wish they had inverter diesels, diesel is so much safer and with a way better shelf life

Comment

Originally posted by LiFePO4_Only View Post
      ..... As for emergency back up at home it's kind of like owning a gun for home defense, I assume I'll never critically need it, but it's just a matter of having it and not needing it over needing it and not having it. So again the more power the better (to a degree,.....l
      Sadly, a sealed tank of diesel will last more than 10 years, and your batteries will die in 7 years. Guns and ammo good for 50+ years

if there is a mega-disaster (EMP, bio-war, famine) you will only have a couple years of power, before the batteries die, then just power in the daytime, Panels may last 50 years, but most solid state radios will fail by then, it's back to the 1600's, with nobody to show us the way.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Sadly, a sealed tank of diesel will last more than 10 years, and your batteries will die in 7 years. Guns and ammo good for 50+ years

if there is a mega-disaster (EMP, bio-war, famine) you will only have a couple years of power, before the batteries die, then just power in the daytime, Panels may last 50 years, but most solid state radios will fail by then, it's back to the 1600's, with nobody to show us the way.
        What. Don't you know how to make your own candles and cure meat without power?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          Sadly, a sealed tank of diesel will last more than 10 years, and your batteries will die in 7 years.
          Isn't this just true if I let them sit and don't touch them for 7 years? What about the whole LiFePO4 5,000 life cycles if kept above 30% thing? If I made sure I hit them with a charge once a month wouldn't they last for thousands of charges?

Comment

Isn't this just true if I let them sit and don't touch them for 7 years?
            All batteries have both calendar life and cycle life, whichever comes first. Calendar Life is determined by the warranty. Chi-Coms come with 2 years warranty and claimed Calendar Life of 7 years with 3000 cycles. But there is the catch. No Chi-Com battery has made it for 7 years or ever seen 3000 cycles. None of the Chi-Coms have been around for more than 4 years. They all started from Thundersky which went bankrupt from warranty claims after 3 years in 2011. 3 companies spawned from Thindersky failed design, CALB, Winston, and Sinopoly. CALB was first Blue, same as Thundersky, Winston uses Yellow case, and Sinopoly uses Black. CALB Blue colored batteries had the same problems as Thundersky. They made a few tweaks and are now Gray. CALB is the only one who made improvements and the best of the bunch. The only real difference between them is the color of their cases. CALB Blue/Gray, Winston is Yellow, Sinopoly is Black.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              All batteries have both calendar life and cycle life, whichever comes first.
              Ohhh!! My entire plan has been completely debunked! Now I know why I was coming off as unreasonable I thought it was only cycle life. Damn back to the drawling board for me. Wow so happy I joined a forum, thank you.

That was an incredible miss on my part, I kept saying to myself 'What the hell are you guys talking about that I'll buy batteries every several years??' lol

Comment

Ohhh!! My entire plan has been completely debunked!
                See if you can change your user name to NickleIron_only.

Comment

LOL. I'm looking more like Honda_7000is_only now ha

...I'm now researching the safest gas can you can possibly buy, damn had no clue how expensive a gas can could get but this is it;

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8084_200518084

EDIT...
                  This is quite expensive but diesel is way better than gas

Cummins Onan 5HDKBB-2861 QD 5000
                  http://www.wisesales.com/cummins-ona...generator.html

Comment

That was an incredible miss on my part, I kept saying to myself 'What the hell are you guys talking about that I'll buy batteries every several years??' lol
                    Again to optimistic. Try about every 5 years or less.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

You do not want gasoline. Does not store well. Think LPG or diesel.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

I would love diesel but no inverter versions and too loud. The Honda EU7000 tops out at 60 decibels...i've talked to people about the EU7000 tri fuel version and it suffers a 20% loss on propane. Now there's an inverter tri fuel Yamaha TFEF6300 that has ZERO loss on propane but the trade off is that it tops at 64 decibels ugh. Damn trade offs

Comment

I would love diesel but no inverter versions and too loud. The Honda EU7000 tops out at 60 decibels...i've talked to people about the EU7000 tri fuel version and it suffers a 20% loss on propane. Now there's an inverter tri fuel Yamaha TFEF6300 that has ZERO loss on propane but the trade off is that it tops at 64 decibels ugh. Damn trade offs
                          Then someone has either made magic, or is lieing. All engines running on propane, have a 20% loss over gasoline, because propane has less energy density than gasoline. (Same problem with alcohol - less dense = less power). To keep the power the same, I think they have to turbo/super charge the engine to jam more fuel/air into it to get the same power.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I hear ya people always tend to over hype their stuff, not sure though if they mean zero loss compared to other propane generators or not. To their credit the same exact company is the one that claims their EU7000 version has the 20% loss (they sell both). They also claim even more loss then propane for natural gas. On the phone the guy claims to know the guy who patented the technique decades ago, and says most places do a hack version of the tri fuel conversion. He says the military orders from them at times and they always buy their Yamahas but not their Hondas.

Another thing i don't like about the Yamaha is should I use gasoline once in awhile it's a carburetor but Honda is fuel injected. The wheels also suck on the Yamaha they're tiny but Honda has nice beefy wheels

Comment

There are inexpensive sound reducing enclosures that can limit those db's below 55 if sound is an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                                There are inexpensive sound reducing enclosures that can limit those db's below 55 if sound is an issue.
                                That would be a homerun!! Do you have a link or a name?

Comment

Working...
                                X