Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fopoku2k2
    • Jan 2015

what are the pros and cons of connecting different type of batteries

I want to know what type of batteries can be connected together.
  • Willy T
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2014

There are no Pro's, just all Cons. Batteries of different size ( Capacity ), age, chemistry will charge at a different rate, one will overcharge and one will undercharge. Batteries of a different type ( AGM, FLP, LFP & others ) require different voltages and charging schemes and times.

I want to know what type of batteries can be connected together.
    As above, batteries that are the same. They could be new or used. If they are used they and the same battery they need to be capacity tested to see if they will hold the same charge capacity and voltage.

Comment

• fopoku2k2
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Willy T
      There are no Pro's, just all Cons. Batteries of different size ( Capacity ), age, chemistry will charge at a different rate, one will overcharge and one will undercharge. Batteries of a different type ( AGM, FLP, LFP & others ) require different voltages and charging schemes and times.

As above, batteries that are the same. They could be new or used. If they are used they and the same battery they need to be capacity tested to see if they will hold the same charge capacity and voltage.
      Oh OK. I have 4 AGM's or telecom batteries I've been using for a year. A friend of mine wants to give me two new FLP's. How would you advice I connect them?

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by fopoku2k2
        Oh OK. I have 4 AGM's or telecom batteries I've been using for a year. A friend of mine wants to give me two new FLP's. How would you advice I connect them?
        As Willy T stated, do not connect the FLP in any way with those AGM batteries. Even if they were all brand new you never mix different battery chemistries together due to their different charging profiles.

It would similar to using 4 apples and 2 lemons to make an Apple pie. Not very tasty.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

What pros and Cons? There are none. You cannot not mix and match. Well you can if you are foolish.

The only realistic way to do that is to have some piece of electronics interfacing the different batteries. A really bad and expensive idea. Only application I can think of that might be plausible is military field ops.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...