Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed Lead Acid Battery & AGM Batteries Hooked Up Together

Hi all,

I have a 115Ah 12v Sealed lead acid battery, and 2x 35Ah 12v AGM batteries. I know most recommend using the "same" type/model/age batteries in your solar battery bank, but right now if I go that route, I'll basically have batteries sitting in the garage not being used for anything. So I was wondering if there is a way I can still use them in my solar battery bank until they die out, and in the future I'll stick to buying the same type/model/age batteries?

I have a MPPT charge controller that will be used to charge the batteries as well. And my battery bank system is wired as a 12v system.

Thanks
    [B]Keep It Simple, Stupid![/B]

AGM is a SLA battery.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      AGM is a SLA battery.
      But the other SLA battery might be GEL. In which case it is not a great idea!
      Note that different AGM batteries with different plate formulations or initial SG might have different voltage curves and therefore benefit from different setpoints. And even with a compromise setting mismatched battery types may not share load or charging current properly, leading to one set being overworked compared to the other.

PS: Some batteries that appear to be sealed are actually "maintenance free" FLA types, FWIW.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
        But the other SLA battery might be GEL.
        Correct and it can also be FLA. SLA is just a generic MARKETING TERM (Maintenance Free) or family of batteries which include Gel, AGM, and some Maintenance Free FLA you find in auto's.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by rs14smith View Post
          Hi all,

I have a 115Ah 12v Sealed lead acid battery, and 2x 35Ah 12v AGM batteries. I know most recommend using the "same" type/model/age batteries in your solar battery bank, but right now if I go that route, I'll basically have batteries sitting in the garage not being used for anything. So I was wondering if there is a way I can still use them in my solar battery bank until they die out, and in the future I'll stick to buying the same type/model/age batteries?

I have a MPPT charge controller that will be used to charge the batteries as well. And my battery bank system is wired as a 12v system.

Thanks
          It will be a gamble to use two different battery sizes with possibly different battery charge/discharge curves on the same system. Good chance of killing them all much quicker.

Maybe look into some other small system that can utilize those 35Ah batteries like having a portable power supply at the beach or during a picnic if power is unavailable.

Here is a couple of pictures of my small portable system using a 65Ah Optima battery, 80 watt solar panel and 200 watt inverter. It doesn't produce much but has worked for me when I have to recharge my RC planes batteries and used by my wife at a craft show out in a large field.

Small Portable PV sys pic3.jpgSmall Portable PV sys pic2.jpgSmall Portable PV sys.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X