Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by russ View Post
    NASA has spun off more goodies than probably any other company in history
    Yeah like solar, Tang, MRE's [meals ready to eat in a barf bad), zero gravity toilets, and penis pumps.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      We all know MIT track record on solar from the panel manufacture company they started. It lost close to about 1 billion of tax payers dollars and swindled hundreds of investors and millions of stock holders out of money. No one even remembers Evergreen Solar. Chi-Coms now own the technology.
      I remember Evergreen, they were the first panel we used when we started the Oz solar business, I loved them, put them on me mums house, 8 years and still going strong. Its a pity the govt over there took so long to realize the chinese were cheating, free trade my arse.

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
        I remember Evergreen, they were the first panel we used when we started the Oz solar business, I loved them, put them on me mums house, 8 years and still going strong. Its a pity the govt over there took so long to realize the chinese were cheating, free trade my arse.
        Pete it is not just Solar Panels, it is everything. The USA use to be a manufacturing economy, not anymore with a few exceptions. The USA, Australia, Europe, or really any developed country cannot compete with China and India manufacturing. Soar is just one of many thousands of product examples. The largest US electronic manufacture Apple does not make a single product in the USA. If they did Apple would not be who and what they are today. Same can be said for Microsoft, GE and hundreds of other US companies. Today manufacturing is outsourced. It all started in the USA just after WW-II when we lost electronic manufacturing to Japan. Now that Japan is developed they lost their manufacturing. It will be a very long time before China and India will be developed.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Pete it is not just Solar Panels, it is everything. The USA use to be a manufacturing economy, not anymore with a few exceptions. The USA, Australia, Europe, or really any developed country cannot compete with China and India manufacturing. Soar is just one of many thousands of product examples. The largest US electronic manufacture Apple does not make a single product in the USA. If they did Apple would not be who and what they are today. Same can be said for Microsoft, GE and hundreds of other US companies. Today manufacturing is outsourced. It all started in the USA just after WW-II when we lost electronic manufacturing to Japan. Now that Japan is developed they lost their manufacturing. It will be a very long time before China and India will be developed.
          Increased communication and increased physical mobility have made many things much more fungible. One of those things is labor.

Comment

Not to mention the increased tax rates in the developed world to pay for social programs for the sick, lame and lazy.

For that matter increased taxes to pay for subsidies of many things.

India and China don't have that burden.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Pete it is not just Solar Panels, it is everything. The USA use to be a manufacturing economy, not anymore with a few exceptions.
              Second largest after China. Much higher than China per capita

Apple does not make a single product in the USA.
              The Mac Pro is made in Texas

I suppose you think crime in the U.S. has increased too since your youth.

Comment

Originally posted by bberry View Post
                You don't? I really don't think anyone can be that dumb.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You don't? I really don't think anyone can be that dumb.
                  Me and the FBI. But don't let facts get in the way of your core beliefs.

Comment

Me and the FBI. But don't let facts get in the way of your core beliefs.
                    Bull**** to be polite about it. Statistics tell exactly what the presenter wants them to say. Stuff your "core beliefs".

Such things are always presented in a manner most suitable to their political masters - like the military trying to go to green fuel.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Second largest after China. Much higher than China per capita

Who said anything about Crime?

Yes I know USA is second, it is the decline that is frightening. USA in 2002 rated 30% of world production. China in 2002 was not even on the radar or tracked until 2004 with only 5% and passed USA in 2010. Latest government figures in 2013 show China world production is 25% and USA has fallen to 17%. When you consider China has only been in the game since 2004 and only 10% developed is quite alarming. When the country is 50% developed will be a Juggernaut with all other countries added together will be a distant 2nd with China calling all the shots, having all the power to control the world economics.

2013 Stats Here
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

Who said anything about Crime?

Yes I know USA is second, it is the decline that is frightening. USA in 2002 rated 30% of world production. China in 2002 was not even on the radar or tracked until 2004 with only 5% and passed USA in 2010. Latest government figures in 2013 show China world production is 25% and USA has fallen to 17%. When you consider China has only been in the game since 2004 and only 10% developed is quite alarming. When the country is 50% developed will be a Juggernaut with all other countries added together will be a distant 2nd with China calling all the shots, having all the power to control the world economics.

2013 Stats Here
                        The US GDP has increased in that time period, it is just that the Chinese has been growing faster. US living standards will increase the future, which is what matters. Who cares if the USA has less geopolitical power. The control of resources will be less important to economic well being in the future. We are on the verge of cheap power renewable power provided from the sun and wind. Electric cars will cheaper than gasoline cars in a few years, which mean that America won't be dependent of petrol anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by solar_future View Post
                          The US GDP has increased in that time period, it is just that the Chinese has been growing faster. US living standards will increase the future, which is what matters. Who cares if the USA has less geopolitical power. The control of resources will be less important to economic well being in the future. We are on the verge of cheap power renewable power provided from the sun and wind. Electric cars will cheaper than gasoline cars in a few years, which mean that America won't be dependent of petrol anymore.
                          What kind of stuff are you smoking? Or possibly you are just delusional?
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by solar_future View Post
                            Electric driven heavy transport (about 95% of how products get to the store) is not going to happen for decades so diesel fuel will still be required.

As for using "cheap" renewable power 24/7... I may live to see that happen but seriously doubt it since the US uses gigawatts of power at night.

Also just about all types of chemical cleaners and plastics products require petrol in some version to be manufactured. So unfortunately America will still be dependent on fossil fuels for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                              Electric driven heavy transport (about 95% of how products get to the store) is not going to happen for decades so diesel fuel will still be required.

As for using "cheap" renewable power 24/7... I may live to see that happen but seriously doubt it since the US uses gigawatts of power at night.

Also just about all types of chemical cleaners and plastics products require petrol in some version to be manufactured. So unfortunately America will still be dependent on fossil fuels for many years.
                              All very correct - the RE will replace hydrocarbon fuels bunch have zero idea how much electricity is really used.

The day any large power hungry industry such as a smelter or refiner runs off solar will happen - in the year 2525
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

All very correct - the RE will replace hydrocarbon fuels bunch have zero idea how much electricity is really used.

The day any large power hungry industry such as a smelter or refiner runs off solar will happen - in the year 2525
                                Wasn't there a song titled "in the year 2525"?

Comment

Working...
                                X