250w 30v solar panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250w 30v solar panels

hi thanks for reading, need to know what charge controller for 7 x 250w 30v solar panels for say 4 x 100ah batteries. thank you

What is the voltage for the 4x100 ah batteries? 7 is a prime number, it is bad you only can wire it all in series or all in parallel.
    Also the batteries are too small for these panels even through I don't know the voltage for these batteries yet.

Comment

Learn to fish and feed yourself.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Learn to fish and feed yourself.
        hi, the batteries are 12 v. anyway a bought a 30amp charge controller so i will do 3 panels in parallel so it will be a 24v 25amp array and do 2 x 100ah batteries in series, can i use the load connection on the charge controller for my 12v 300w inverter in the day time? will get a 24v inverter later ,the charge controller accepts 24v and 12v batteries but i can do 750w from the solar array if i do the 24v series charge config.

Comment

Originally posted by almac View Post
          hi, the batteries are 12 v. anyway a bought a 30amp charge controller so i will do 3 panels in parallel so it will be a 24v 25amp array and do 2 x 100ah batteries in series, can i use the load connection on the charge controller for my 12v 300w inverter in the day time? will get a 24v inverter later ,the charge controller accepts 24v and 12v batteries but i can do 750w from the solar array if i do the 24v series charge config.
          You are joking right?

I can only assume that charge controller you have is a PWM controller right? If so you are screwed big time. Where in the hell did you come up with 30 amps? You are going to need a 80 amp MPPT charge controller to use with your panels. Do you have the $600 to buy one? If not start saving your money, because you cannot do anything until you get one. The 30 amp controller you have now is useless unless it is MPPT. Even then you cannot do much with it. 30 amps MPPT at:

12 volt battery maximum input is 400 watts
          24 volt battery 800 watts.

If PWM you cannot use it with your panels.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

What is the 30V? Vmp? If so, you have 20V panels, they will not correctly charge a 24V battery when it is hot out and the voltage drops.

If you got a 60A MPPT charge controller, you could use 2 parallel strings of 3 in series, and it will work well in the summer when it is hot out.
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
              If so, you have 20V panels, they will not correctly charge a 24V battery
              Amy - Do you mean 24 volt panels or did you really mean 20 volt? Not trying to nit pick, but I see the OP being confused as it is.

Comment

You are joking right?

I can only assume that charge controller you have is a PWM controller right? If so you are screwed big time. Where in the hell did you come up with 30 amps? You are going to need a 80 amp MPPT charge controller to use with your panels. Do you have the $600 to buy one? If not start saving your money, because you cannot do anything until you get one. The 30 amp controller you have now is useless unless it is MPPT. Even then you cannot do much with it. 30 amps MPPT at:

12 volt battery maximum input is 400 watts
                24 volt battery 800 watts.

If PWM you cannot use it with your panels.

hi thanks for your reply, its an mppt.. i plan to use 3 panels not 7 here is the spec plate of the CC DSCN7503.JPG

and the spec plate of the panel DSCN7505.JPG

and a front pic of the CC DSCN7504.JPG

here is better resolution of CC spec plate DSCN7506.JPG

Comment

Unfortunately you are a victim of Chi-Com Internet Fraud. Your controller is Not MPPT, it is a very poorly designed PWM controller. You have been ripped off.

You have good panels with a Vmp of 30 volts and Imp of 8.2 amps. Those are very common Grid Tied panels, with GT panels you must use a true MPPT Controller on battery systems which you do NOT HAVE.

If you use your controller with 3 panels in parallel or series will burn up your controller, even one panel operating into a 12 volt battery will damage it. But assuming the controller could be operated without damage with 3 panels in parallel gives you 30 volts input @ 24.6 amps (750 watts roughly). On the output you have the same 24.6 amps x 12 volts = 295 watts out of 750 watts. Do you think that is a problem?

If you had a real MPPT controller of say 80 amps, you could wire those same 3 panels in series or parallel and on the output you would have 62.5 amps x 12 volts = 750 watts out of 750 watts. Does that sound better?

Secondly there is no way for you to use your controller in a 24 volt battery. Minimum required panel voltagge is 36 volt, you have 30 volts. You cannot even connect two panels in series as that would exceed your charge controller maximum input voltage of 65 Voc. Two of your panels in series Voc is 70 volts.

There is a problem with your panels. You have a prime number of 7 which means your only two possible configuration is all 7 in parallel which is incredible expensive and inefficient or all 7 in series which is not possible. It also eliminates any possibility of a 24 volt battery because it requires at least 2 panels on series. 2 doe snot work with 7. You will have to loose one panel or gain a panel. Take your pick.

In the meantime you are dead in the water until you get a Charge Controller. 80 amps is as large as they come. Those run around $600. But all MPPT charge controllers have maximum power input vs battery voltage and current rating. A 80 amp controller has the following limitations:

1000 watts @ 12 volts.
                  2000 watts @ 24 volts
                  4000 watts @ 48 volts.

As you can see, with a 80 amp model you can use 4 of your panels @ 12 volt battery. At 24 volts you can only run 2, 4, 6, or 8 panels. NOT 7.

Sorry my friend: You have had your body shook, and money took.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Unfortunately you are a victim of Chi-Com Internet Fraud. Your controller is Not MPPT, it is a very poorly designed PWM controller. You have been ripped off.

You have good panels with a Vmp of 30 volts and Imp of 8.2 amps. Those are very common Grid Tied panels, with GT panels you must use a true MPPT Controller on battery systems which you do NOT HAVE.

If you use your controller with 3 panels in parallel or series will burn up your controller, even one panel operating into a 12 volt battery will damage it. But assuming the controller could be operated without damage with 3 panels in parallel gives you 30 volts input @ 24.6 amps (750 watts roughly). On the output you have the same 24.6 amps x 12 volts = 295 watts out of 750 watts. Do you think that is a problem?

If you had a real MPPT controller of say 80 amps, you could wire those same 3 panels in series or parallel and on the output you would have 62.5 amps x 12 volts = 750 watts out of 750 watts. Does that sound better?

Secondly there is no way for you to use your controller in a 24 volt battery. Minimum required panel voltagge is 36 volt, you have 30 volts. You cannot even connect two panels in series as that would exceed your charge controller maximum input voltage of 65 Voc. Two of your panels in series Voc is 70 volts.

There is a problem with your panels. You have a prime number of 7 which means your only two possible configuration is all 7 in parallel which is incredible expensive and inefficient or all 7 in series which is not possible. It also eliminates any possibility of a 24 volt battery because it requires at least 2 panels on series. 2 doe snot work with 7. You will have to loose one panel or gain a panel. Take your pick.

In the meantime you are dead in the water until you get a Charge Controller. 80 amps is as large as they come. Those run around $600. But all MPPT charge controllers have maximum power input vs battery voltage and current rating. A 80 amp controller has the following limitations:

1000 watts @ 12 volts.
                    2000 watts @ 24 volts
                    4000 watts @ 48 volts.

As you can see, with a 80 amp model you can use 4 of your panels @ 12 volt battery. At 24 volts you can only run 2, 4, 6, or 8 panels. NOT 7.

Sorry my friend: You have had your body shook, and money took.
                    thanks for your reply, i havnt lost my money because i can return this CC it was form the local store and returns are not a problem. glad to hear i have good panels because i cant return those. for now i want to work with the 2 x 12v 100ah batteries , so what config , how many panels and what CC should i get?

Comment

thanks for your reply, i havnt lost my money because i can return this CC it was form the local store and returns are not a problem. glad to hear i have good panels because i cant return those. for now i want to work with the 2 x 12v 100ah batteries , so what config , how many panels and what CC should i get?
                      I cannot fully answer without know what charge controller. What I can tell is with the batteries you plan on using no more than just 1 panel 20 amp MPPT controller. But here is the thing if you were to say buy a 20 amp controller it is maxed out at 12 volt battery, and can only support 2 panels at 24 volts.

My advice is get a 80 amp controller now like a Mindnite Solar Classic 150 or Outback Flexmax 80.
                      MSEE, PE

Comment

It would be a good idea to read the FAQ on batteries. Assuming these are FLA's and you're using them in series they need to be charged between 1/8th and 1/12th of their capacity. So 100Ah/10h=10A should be about right, 100Ah/8h=12.5A is the most you could do and 100Ah/12h=8.4A is the least you could do.

Where as with all 4 batteries if you setup your battery bank to be 24v 200Ah then 20A would be a good number. Your CC needs to be an MPPT, after that it's a question of what you'll end up doing with it not just for now but in the future. Depending on the answer to that what CC you should get changes.

The first thing you needed to do is figure out what your loads are, that determines everything else. Your battery bank is sized to fit your load and your solar panels and CC are sized to fit your bank.

Comment

I cannot fully answer without know what charge controller. What I can tell is with the batteries you plan on using no more than just 1 panel 20 amp MPPT controller. But here is the thing if you were to say buy a 20 amp controller it is maxed out at 12 volt battery, and can only support 2 panels at 24 volts.

My advice is get a 80 amp controller now like a Mindnite Solar Classic 150 or Outback Flexmax 80.
                          ok thanks i think that fixes it for now. right atm im getting by at night with the 200ah of 12v battery, running generator in the morning to recharge. the local store does have a 20amp CC so i will go with that and one panel for now. then will only need the generator for the washing machine, the expense of more batteries and 80amp CC will be something i can take my time planning properly later . this has been something iv had to organize in a hurry since a truck took out my grid cable last week. thanks for your help.

Comment

i set up the Chi-Com 30amp CC with 2 panels, works great. with 2 panels in parallel using a voltmeter at the end of my cable b4 the CC im getting 36v 10amps. and that was 10am and its winter here, the Chi-Com 30amp has no problem with that and is charging 200ah 24v battery config

Comment

i set up the Chi-Com 30amp CC with 2 panels, works great. with 2 panels in parallel using a voltmeter at the end of my cable b4 the CC im getting 36v 10amps. and that was 10am and its winter here, the Chi-Com 30amp has no problem with that and is charging 200ah 24v battery config
                              What is the output?
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                              X