Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mitsubishi DiamondPlus UPS as Battery pool for solarpanel system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitsubishi DiamondPlus UPS as Battery pool for solarpanel system?

Hello all,

I've recently acquired a nearly brand new Mitsubishi DiamondPlus 1100A Series for close to nothing. I believe I have the 10kva model as seen here http://www.meppi.com/Products/Uninte...20Brochure.pdf

This unit was thrown in for free with a recent lot of equipment that I purchase for an old server room at a large retailer here in Canada.

I know these units are quite costly to purchase brand new and are not probably not meant to be use with solar panels and from what I read, 10kva is quite a lot of power (probably more than I need).

I need to know if it would be stupid for me to use such a device for a solar array. I'm thinking it might be the opportunity i've been waiting for to complete my solar panel project.

I'm quite new to all of this so I don't even know if this unit can even be used to accomplish what I want however if It can, what other components would I require? (Solar Panels, Inverters, etc..?)

My other concern is I've been told by an electrician that this unit may produce quite a bit of heat when active.

Any guidance with this would be greatly appreciated!

It is a very good Dual Conversion UPS. Dual Conversion is as good as it gets in a UPS. What you do not know is what Dual Conversion means or you would already know the issues.

It means it takes AC power (208 VAC 3-phase) and rectifies it to DC for the batteries operating at 288 volts nominal, then the DC is ran to the 3-Phase 208/120 inverter. So the UPS is constantly running off the rectifiers under normal operating conditions. It also has a Static Bypass switch so the batteries and Inverter can be taken off-line for maintenance without interrupting power.

So here are your challenges.

Convert your home to 3-phase 208/120 volts.Not too big of a deal as it means replacing your main breaker panel and rewiring gall your circuits. Replace all you 240 volt single phase appliances with 3-phase 208 voltage models and running the third circuit they will require.

Figure out how in the hell you are going to fool the Static Bypass switch you are not using 208 3-phase power that run the recitiers as those will have to be removed. Either that or figure out how to disable it.

Last and this is the easy part. Figure out how the heck you are going to make a Solar System compatible with a 288 volt battery. All you have to do is custom design a 288 volt Charge Controller that has around 10 to 20Kw input from the panels.

Piece of cake any DIY can handle.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Sometimes free ain't free!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Wow!

Thank you for this information. So in other words, it's probably less expensive for me to sell this unit and take the money to buy a Tesla Powerwall unit? Would I be wrong in saying that?

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        It is a very good Dual Conversion UPS. Dual Conversion is as good as it gets in a UPS. What you do not know is what Dual Conversion means or you would already know the issues.

It means it takes AC power (208 VAC 3-phase) and rectifies it to DC for the batteries operating at 288 volts nominal, then the DC is ran to the 3-Phase 208/120 inverter. So the UPS is constantly running off the rectifiers under normal operating conditions. It also has a Static Bypass switch so the batteries and Inverter can be taken off-line for maintenance without interrupting power.

So here are your challenges.

Convert your home to 3-phase 208/120 volts.Not too big of a deal as it means replacing your main breaker panel and rewiring gall your circuits. Replace all you 240 volt single phase appliances with 3-phase 208 voltage models and running the third circuit they will require.

Figure out how in the hell you are going to fool the Static Bypass switch you are not using 208 3-phase power that run the recitiers as those will have to be removed. Either that or figure out how to disable it.

Last and this is the easy part. Figure out how the heck you are going to make a Solar System compatible with a 288 volt battery. All you have to do is custom design a 288 volt Charge Controller that has around 10 to 20Kw input from the panels.

Piece of cake any DIY can handle.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicarlo View Post
          Wow!

Thank you for this information. So in other words, it's probably less expensive for me to sell this unit and take the money to buy a Tesla Powerwall unit? Would I be wrong in saying that?
          You would be half right in selling the UPS. You have no use for the Powerwall. Do you live in CA and already have a Grid Tied System? Then you have no use for the Powerwall.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

That's too bad!

So my plans for harnessing the sun's power have come short to fail me!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and input on this.

Comment

You could hook it up to a Toyota Prius, I think that's about the main battery voltage. You can Google it. It'll make you a back up system, but it's way to big for the battery. The 3 phase makes it kind of useless though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicarlo View Post
                That's too bad!

So my plans for harnessing the sun's power have come short to fail me!

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and input on this.
                There are other battery systems that may work for you but they will still cost you a lot more then just using grid power.

What is your reason or need for wanting a UPS or battery system?

Comment

Working...
                X