X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Cheeseburger. My Kingdom for a Cheeseburger

I have been back in the USA for a week now celebrating the arrival of my Grand Daughter. Should be here another two weeks before she gets out of the hospital. The only real thing I miss about the USA is USDA Choice Beef. Us yanks have no idea just how good USDA Beef really is.

In Panama and everywhere in Central and South America beef just flat out sucks. Good beef in Panama is hard to come by. We have one little dive near the house owned by a retired USN cook who gets USDA ground beef and some steaks, but it is expensive. I tried to figure out his source and he would not say. But I figured it out one day when a delivery truck showed up full of American Beer, Beef, and other USA products. The Truck was drab olive green with a USN decal. He jacks it from the military.

We do have access to Argentine beef, but it pretty much sucks to. Nothing is as good as USDA Beef. I have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and jerky for snacks. OK that is streching it a bit but you get the idea. My first stop when I arrived was a Tulsa Legend restaurant called Goldies and loaded up Angel Fire burgers. Yummy in my Tummy.

MSEE, PE
  • UkiwiS
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Sunking
    I have been back in the USA for a week now celebrating the arrival of my Grand Daughter. Should be here another two weeks before she gets out of the hospital. The only real thing I miss about the USA is USDA Choice Beef. Us yanks have no idea just how good USDA Beef really is.

In Panama and everywhere in Central and South America beef just flat out sucks. Good beef in Panama is hard to come by. We have one little dive near the house owned by a retired USN cook who gets USDA ground beef and some steaks, but it is expensive. I tried to figure out his source and he would not say. But I figured it out one day when a delivery truck showed up full of American Beer, Beef, and other USA products. The Truck was drab olive green with a USN decal. He jacks it from the military.

We do have access to Argentine beef, but it pretty much sucks to. Nothing is as good as USDA Beef. I have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and jerky for snacks. OK that is streching it a bit but you get the idea. My first stop when I arrived was a Tulsa Legend restaurant called Goldies and loaded up Angel Fire burgers. Yummy in my Tummy.

USDA Beef is full of chemicals and other additives. I'm guessing you're accustomed to the flavor of those chemicals and additives and that you do not really know what a decent steak tastes like. In my opinion NO BEEF beats New Zealand Grass Fed Beef.
    [url]http://tiny.cc/m8ex0x[/url]

Comment

• Amy@altE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

I still have dreams about the beef I had in Buenos Aires with several bottles of Malbec! You could cut it with a spoon.
      Solar Queen
      altE Store

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by UkiwiS
        USDA Beef is full of chemicals and other additives. I'm guessing you're accustomed to the flavor of those chemicals and additives and that you do not really know what a decent steak tastes like. In my opinion NO BEEF beats New Zealand Grass Fed Beef.
        To bad no Steak Connoisseur would agree with you.

Japan Kobe is rated #1 and close behind in #2 is USA. 3rd is Argentine 4th Scotland, and 5th is Australia. NZ is not even on the map. FWIW USA has tons of grass fed beef, but not large demand as grain fed is king in USA.

Now lamb is another story, but the USA has Colorado lamb.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Bala
          Solar Fanatic
          • Dec 2010

Japan Kobe is rated #1 and close behind in #2 is USA. 3rd is Argentine 4th Scotland, and 5th is Australia. NZ is not even on the map. FWIW USA has tons of grass fed beef, but not large demand as grain fed is king in USA.

Rated by Who?

Anyway, until you have had Yak Steaks in Lhasa you are not comparing them all

Comment

• UkiwiS
            • Feb 2015

Well, if you can see it written it must be so! It'd be interesting to conduct a blind taste test. Of one thing I am certain, if there was a "World" series of Beef the USA would be #1!
            [url]http://tiny.cc/m8ex0x[/url]

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

P.E.T.A. : People Eating Tasty Animals.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                P.E.T.A. : People Eating Tasty Animals.
                I can foresee you being dropped from another Christmas card list.

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by UkiwiS
                  The chemical rant is 3 lbs of BS in a 2 lb bag!

The grass fed part is correct

Even Sunking has no idea of Argentine beef - I have lived there and the good stuff is really good - gras fed

Never tried Kobe beef and never will - expensive BS
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SunEagle
                    I can foresee you being dropped from another Christmas card list.
                    FWIW: I prefer American bison.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

I don't eat a lot of red meat so IMO "meat is meat" unless it is full of gristle.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

My father spent many years learning the best way to prepare a beef for the home table - it has nothing to do with preparing one for the market. That was tasty beef - the best I have ever eaten.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

I like it to, especially ground Bisson for burgers cooked rare so it stays juicy. But if you prefer your red meat temperature at medium or above Bisson is very dry and tough and chewy. Kind of like white meat chicken and pork, it turns to cotton.

What makes US beef versatile and different is we have a lot of different breed of cattle, and each its own unique characteristics. US also has some of the most nutritious grass farm lands in the country, and a lot of it. We also fatten cows on grain which contributes greatly to flavor and texture. Lastly we are one of the few that age and grade beef. Even the lowest grades Select and Standard are aged for at least 7 days, Choice aged 10 to 14 days, and Prime 21 to 60 days.

In Panama that meat in the counter today was grazing yesterday. Heck you cannot even recognize any of the cuts. Most of it is ground or in chunks for stews. What cuts they do have is unrecognizable because they do not cut it like they do in the USA. We do get Argentine and Brazillian beef, but it is not as good as plain ole USDA Choice beef. Once in a while you can find USDA beef down in Panama but it is expensive. The US chain restaurants have it. As for me I just smuggle it in. I am a Beef Pusher.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

As for me I just smuggle it in. I am a Beef Pusher.
                            Sounds more like you are a Beef Mule, which has (I hope) nothing to do with horsemeat.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by inetdog
                              Sounds more like you are a Beef Mule, which has (I hope) nothing to do with horsemeat.
                              Nah either myself, Daughter or Wife just fill a cooler with beef frozen with Dry Ice pack and tip the custom agent $20. Hell my Wife and Daughter don't even need to tip the SOB. Daughter just flashes some T&A at the agent, and Wife puts a Medical Supply Red Tape seal and shows her Panama Medical VISA Passport, or if that fails uses T&A. Both have great big firm (.)(.)

Me I just got money.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...