Clear All

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
    Sounds more like you are a Beef Mule
    Must...refrain...from...commenting!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian S View Post
      Good one!

Might mention that having dry ice in your luggage is a big no-no.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Ian S View Post
        But we can read your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Good one!

Might mention that having dry ice in your luggage is a big no-no.
          Not in Ice Chest that I know of. Airlines in USA have never said anything when checking it in as Cargo. Worse that could happen is Panama Custom Agent keeps it and takes it home with him. Smuggling frozen USDA meat into Panama is not a high priority. Fresh veggies and fruit is another story.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Nah either myself, Daughter or Wife just fill a cooler with beef frozen with Dry Ice pack and tip the custom agent $20. Hell my Wife and Daughter don't even need to tip the SOB. Daughter just flashes some T&A at the agent, and Wife puts a Medical Supply Red Tape seal and shows her Panama Medical VISA Passport
            A nice steak can certainly be medicinal...
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

Not in Ice Chest that I know of. Airlines in USA have never said anything when checking it in as Cargo. Worse that could happen is Panama Custom Agent keeps it and takes it home with him. Smuggling frozen USDA meat into Panama is not a high priority. Fresh veggies and fruit is another story.
              Dry ice in the cargo area of a plane hasn't been legal for 20 years - they used to ask about it even.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

TSA says a small amount is allowed (at least in 2013 when this was written).

TSA Travel Tips Tuesday: Dry Ice
                Questions about the transportation of dry ice generally fall into the hazmat realm where FAA has primary oversight. Since we often get dry ice questions, I felt that it would be a great topic for Travel Tips Tuesday.

My first tip is to check with your airline for any guidance they might have on traveling with dry ice. Dry ice is not prohibited by TSA. Secondly, as far as FAA regulations go, dry ice is permissible when traveling with perishables as long as you adhere to the following guidelines.

Packages of dry ice must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas.
                The limit for dry ice for both carry-on and checked baggage is five-pounds.
                Packages of dry ice must contain the language "Carbon Dioxide Solid" or "Dry Ice" and must also have the net weight of the dry ice on the package.
                See you next Tuesday with more travel tips!

Bob Burns
                TSA Blog Team

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/07/normal-0...us-x-none.html
                Solar Queen
                altE Store

Comment

Originally posted by Amy@altE View Post
                  TSA says a small amount is allowed (at least in 2013 when this was written).

TSA Travel Tips Tuesday: Dry Ice
                  Questions about the transportation of dry ice generally fall into the hazmat realm where FAA has primary oversight. Since we often get dry ice questions, I felt that it would be a great topic for Travel Tips Tuesday.

My first tip is to check with your airline for any guidance they might have on traveling with dry ice. Dry ice is not prohibited by TSA. Secondly, as far as FAA regulations go, dry ice is permissible when traveling with perishables as long as you adhere to the following guidelines.

Packages of dry ice must allow for the release of carbon dioxide gas.
                  The limit for dry ice for both carry-on and checked baggage is five-pounds.
                  Packages of dry ice must contain the language "Carbon Dioxide Solid" or "Dry Ice" and must also have the net weight of the dry ice on the package.
                  See you next Tuesday with more travel tips!

Bob Burns
                  TSA Blog Team

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/07/normal-0...us-x-none.html
                  Thanks Amy I knew it was allowed in some form. Done it too many times now and the Airline knew about it. Most Sky Caps laugh about it when I tell them what I am doing. All bu tone time Wife was with me and it was Labeled Medical Refrigerated Material Dry Ice. Customs in Panama could care less. Only one time did I get questioned when it was not Labeled Medical. The $20 trick worked. Customs in Panama are looking for Drugs and Guns.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

Bribing customs - how cute! Not to mention really bad form.

I stand corrected - I was interested in the quantity allowed -

(10) Dry ice (carbon dioxide,
                    solid), in quantities not
                    exceeding 2.0 kg (4.4 pounds) per person in carryon baggage or 2.3 kg (5 pounds) per person in
                    checked baggage, when used
                    to refrigerate perishables. The
                    packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas. For checked baggage, the package must be marked
                    ‘‘DRY ICE’’ or ‘‘CARBON DIOXIDE,
                    SOLID’’ and must be marked with the net weight of dry ice or an
                    indication the net weight is
                    2.3 kg (5 pounds) or less.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Bribing customs - how cute! Not to mention really bad form.

I stand corrected - I was interested in the quantity allowed -

(10) Dry ice (carbon dioxide,
                      solid), in quantities not
                      exceeding 2.0 kg (4.4 pounds) per person in carryon baggage or 2.3 kg (5 pounds) per person in
                      checked baggage, when used
                      to refrigerate perishables. The
                      packaging must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas. For checked baggage, the package must be marked
                      ‘‘DRY ICE’’ or ‘‘CARBON DIOXIDE,
                      SOLID’’ and must be marked with the net weight of dry ice or an
                      indication the net weight is
                      2.3 kg (5 pounds) or less.
                      Hmmm. Do you have to list the type and weight of the contraband that is included with the dry ice?

Comment

Bribing customs - how cute! Not to mention really bad form..
                        It works. Like any law enforcement, the agent uses their own discretion to decide which laws are enforced or not. Frozen meat is not a priority. They just simply are not going to waste their time jacking my beef. To much paperwork. They will do one of two things.

1. Ignore it
                        2. Take it from you, keep it for themselves, and send you on your way.

Now if you are talking large commercial sized quantities that could hurt the economy and local markets is another story. But 50 pounds for personal use they could careless about.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

It works. Like any law enforcement, the agent uses their own discretion to decide which laws are enforced or not. Frozen meat is not a priority. They just simply are not going to waste their time jacking my beef. To much paperwork. They will do one of two things.

1. Ignore it
                          2. Take it from you, keep it for themselves, and send you on your way.

Now if you are talking large commercial sized quantities that could hurt the economy and local markets is another story. But 50 pounds for personal use they could careless about.
                          Maybe you can invite the inspectors over for a steak diner.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                            Maybe you can invite the inspectors over for a steak diner.
                            Nah that is what the $20 Trick is for, he can buy his own at OutBack Steakhouse in Panama City.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                            X