MorningStar Tristar or Midnight Charge Controller For Small Off Grid System?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Amy@altE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
    No problem with that Amy from a code POV, but it does allow your competitor to underbid you, and makes the manufacture mo money. So you need to understand the difference between minimum code requirements and biz requirements. One effects the other.
    [/URL]
    I'd rather not make the sale than sell what I don't believe in. I also try to prevent the Burning Man reenactments at people's homes.
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Amy@altE
      I'd rather not make the sale than sell what I don't believe in.
      I hear you and respect that. I do the same. Typically I do not even respond to bids if I do not believe in the concept the client wants.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by rs14smith
        When I viewed their website, and the specs for the 45Amp model, it appeared that it did have "data" logging capablity which I assumed meant it allows you to use an ethernet cord to see the information.

But anyway, my main question here is, what makes Morningstar's controller better than Midnight's charge controller that is around the same specs? I definitely want to expand my system in the future, but both controller manufacturers seem to allow that, so I'm a bit lost as to which one to go with.

Whoa. here's my data.

Morningstar Only the MS 60A mppt has the ethernet port. The MS 45A I think, has a serial port (my 60a does) and I connect it to my laptop with a SERIAL-USB adapter. The morningstar MSView program downloads the log files, and also can re-program the settings. MSView is a very powerful program, but the .CSV file it outputs, needs to be massaged in a spreadsheet.
        The ethernet is just a Viewing HTML page, not interactive.

Midnight Classic. I've never tried to get the logs out of it, I just need the daily stats that I can read off it's monitor panel (over ethernet) The Classic has a nice ethernet remote control app, I use the float/absorb controls, and the ability to tweak the voltages remotely, enables me to get the two controllers to sync nicely.

With my 2 Evergreen arrays, the Morningstar seems to have a better efficiency and robustness than the Classic. it's also much cooler and quieter (no fans)
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...