• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by smartelectric
    multiple people have asked for facts on this direct statement you made:

You continue to misdirect to electric motors and warranty information that is unrelated to the claim you make above.
    are you lazy?
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Ian S
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
      But we have an excellent track record from the EV division which has landed Tesla in court.
      Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any lawsuits over Tesla's battery warranty regarding longevity problems. Do you have links?

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Ian I am sitting here at a hospital with my Grand Daughter and a tablet. If you really want to know it is easy to find. All 5 cases involve revolve around owners Bricking their batteries. They lost the case because Tesla makes no capacity claims. It is not hard to understand On the flip side Tesla has sued Edmunds and Top Gear reporting battery issues. Tesla lost. All very easy to find if you really want to know.

If you really think the battery is that great. Good for you go buy one. As for me I will stick with what I know works and proven to do so. From an economic POV Tesla is the looser here. There are a few batteries out there proven to have over 2500 cycles to 80% DOD with a rock solid warranty guaranteeing capacity retention of 80% capacity for $250 to $300 per Kwh price range.

In the meantime I am going to sit here and enjoy every moment I can with my Grand Daughter. Poor thing is going to be here in the Hospital for 4 more weeks.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• DanKegel
          Banned
          • Sep 2014

Oh, this?
          Late last night, a sensational blog post circulated through Silicon Valley. It claimed that several $100,000-plus Tesla Roadsters were now useless as the result of a "devastating design problem," with their battery packs "bricked" from being left too long without plugging in. Early this morning, we predicted that this would be today's electric-car news...

That has nothing to do with battery lifetime under normal circumstances, does it?

Comment

• SmartElectric
            • Apr 2015

5 cases involve revolve around owners Bricking their batteries. They lost the case
            Ah, the Tesla Roadster battery brick issue. Solved a long time ago. Had nothing to do with the battery cells, had to do with the control electronics. Well that's 5 out of thousands you claim, so we'll have to agree to disagree that Tesla has a fundamental problem with battery quality, because the facts don't back that up.

Comment

• RedDenver
              • Apr 2015

How can you possible know it has 10 year life? It has not ever been tested or even one unit sold. Aquion made that claim and are going bankrupt.

There are currently batteries on the market that outperform the Tesla vaporware battery that have a track record with 5 years of continuous testing since late 2009. To date over 2500 cycles to 80% DOD and still counting using IEC 61427 the most punishing battery test protocol devised made specifically for Solar and energy storage for 30% less cost. It is no contest. Tesla has vaporware and others have 80 year track record and independent testing confirms rock solid results.

I am all for Lithium battery technology and have been following it closely for 10 years as a professional. If you want to believe hype have at it. I base my professional opinion on test data and facts that can be verified by independent testing labs. Tesla has none of that and cannot have that for at least 5 years if they even allow their product to be tested. Right now all you got is promises for an over priced product.
              Read me post. I said "could be competitive". As in, if the battery performs as hyped, it would be competitive with the batteries you're touting. And expecting long-term performance in the real world is unrealistic for any new technology or product. You're jumping to conclusions here, as I'm not believing anything, but simply commenting on the possibility.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Don't upset the green clowns Sunking - they whine and cry all day!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sundetective
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Sep 2011

How can you possible know it has 10 year life? It has not ever been tested or even one unit sold. Aquion made that claim and are going bankrupt.

There are currently batteries on the market that outperform the Tesla vaporware battery that have a track record with 5 years of continuous testing since late 2009. To date over 2500 cycles to 80% DOD and still counting using IEC 61427 the most punishing battery test protocol devised made specifically for Solar and energy storage for 30% less cost. It is no contest. Tesla has vaporware and others have 80 year track record and independent testing confirms rock solid results.

I am all for Lithium battery technology and have been following it closely for 10 years as a professional. If you want to believe hype have at it. I base my professional opinion on test data and facts that can be verified by independent testing labs. Tesla has none of that and cannot have that for at least 5 years if they even allow their product to be tested. Right now all you got is promises for an over priced product.
                  Sunking,

Where did you hear that Aquion is going bankrupt ?

I will admit that if some serious amounts of product don't materialize
                  soon those boys are going to begin to look like
                  All hat, no cattle.

However I thought that they were still at the 'raking in the millions'
                  stage with the investors.

Bill Blake
                  Last edited by Sundetective; 05-02-2015, 04:09 PM. Reason: Changed here to hear :-)

Comment

• DanKegel
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by russ
                    Don't upset the green clowns Sunking - they whine and cry all day!
                    I thought picking on environmentalists and liberals was a favorite sport around here (even encouraged by moderators).

Comment

• russ
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DanKegel
                      I thought picking on environmentalists and liberals was a favorite sport around here (even encouraged by moderators).
                      Picking on fools is a fun sport.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Willy T
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2014

Just part of the name calling here, green clowns, idiot, hack, commies, dipwad, moron and many more. It's not a positive sign.

This shouldn't be much of a argument, Tesla's battery will either be successful or it'll disappear from the market. As far as the concept of time shifting power for anyone with a hybrid inverter with Generator / Grid Support is all ready doing it manually. All you have to do is set the grid support amps to 4 amps and anything above that the loads need are supplied from the Inverter battery bank.

Comment

• DanKegel
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2014

Picking on fools is a fun sport.
                          How do the other moderators feel about this?

Is bullying ok in moderation?

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

How do the other moderators feel about this?

Is bullying ok in moderation?
                            Bullying? You are sick!

It is impossible to bully anyone when they have the option of changing channels/sites etc. That is possibly the most overworked phrase today by the loony left crowd.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• DanKegel
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2014

It is impossible to bully anyone when they have the option of changing channels/sites etc.
                              There aren't that many good forums on solar energy.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

There aren't that many good forums on solar energy.
                                Poor baby! A true liberal - wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Makes me think of some of the protesting going on the past year - people can't understand why they get more attention from the police - even if they are the most likely offenders.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...