Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Solar Power Needs

Hello Everyone,

I want to install some security systems about 1 acre out from where there is power. I hate to dig power all the way out to it ... but i will if i must.

What i need to power is

1 x Dlink GS-1100-08P - 7.88 Watts Max - 100 to 240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz Input (Gives me a max POE budget of 64W, I will only be using 11W Max)
    1 x uniquity Loco5 - 5.5 Wats - 24V, 0.5A
    2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS - Powered off Dlink Above - DC12V ± 10%, PoE (802.3af) - Max. 5.5W (7.5W with ICR on)
    1 X 1 watt small fan in the control box for cooling

In the future i may add another camera or something.

I need to basically be able to power this remote station 24/7. The placement area is pretty sunny on sunny days, so that is not a problem. Mounting of solar panels would be either on an 4x8 16 foot tall post. In the winters, it can get -20 degrees (Vermont), however i believe with a charge, this is not a problem since the battery will not be idle.

What kind of system would work for my project?

Hello rootdet and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Take the detailed load information you have, making sure that it is actual rather than nominal or maximum load, and use the resulting 24 hour energy consumption as input to the system design tool in one of the sticky threads of the off-grid section.
    That will give you a good starting point.
    If it looks reasonable, you can go into more detail about the type of panel and type of batteries you would need.
    If there is a stretch of bad weather, is there the option to haul out a fully charged replacement battery pack if needed? That will greatly reduce the need to over provision panels and battery capacity.
    Will the panels be able to shed snow in the winter? A lot of off-gridders in snow areas mount their panels vertically for the winter.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Hello rootdet and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Take the detailed load information you have, making sure that it is actual rather than nominal or maximum load, and use the resulting 24 hour energy consumption as input to the system design tool in one of the sticky threads of the off-grid section.
      That will give you a good starting point.
      If it looks reasonable, you can go into more detail about the type of panel and type of batteries you would need.
      If there is a stretch of bad weather, is there the option to haul out a fully charged replacement battery pack if needed? That will greatly reduce the need to over provision panels and battery capacity.
      Will the panels be able to shed snow in the winter? A lot of off-gridders in snow areas mount their panels vertically for the winter.
      Ok, I found the up to date sheet, and i went off larger numbers to give me growth.

Here is what the sheet says:

AMP/HR Max Charge FLA Max Charge AGM
      Battery bank@48V (AH 20% daily DOD) 781.25 97.66 195.31

@48v
      PWM Controller 236.7
      MPPT Controller 177.56

Maximum amps to inverter @48V 5.2

These numbers are based on the worth month, which is January for solar power.

Comment

Originally posted by rootdet View Post
        Hello Everyone,

I want to install some security systems about 1 acre out from where there is power. I hate to dig power all the way out to it ... but i will if i must.

What i need to power is

1 x Dlink GS-1100-08P - 7.88 Watts Max - 100 to 240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz Input (Gives me a max POE budget of 64W, I will only be using 11W Max)
        2 x Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-IS - Powered off Dlink Above - DC12V ± 10%, PoE (802.3af) - Max. 5.5W (7.5W with ICR on)

In the future i may add another camera or something.

I need to basically be able to power this remote station 24/7. The placement area is pretty sunny on sunny days, so that is not a problem. Mounting of solar panels would be either on an 4x8 16 foot tall post. In the winters, it can get -20 degrees (Vermont), however i believe with a charge, this is not a problem since the battery will not be idle. What kind of system would work for my project?
        My own solution is direct burial 12-3 all over 5 acres. Not really that difficult, rent a trencher. This length cable
        won't support a heavy load at full voltage, but a security system won't draw enough current to cause great
        voltage loss. It will also allow plugging in a universal motor powered drill or saw, etc, which will draw down
        the voltage some but work fine at somewhat reduced horsepower. Regular motion detector lights can be
        powered, a great security item (I have 9).

The PV solution is complex and introduces you to the new task of battery minding and replacement. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
          My own solution is direct burial 12-3 all over 5 acres. Not really that difficult, rent a trencher. This length cable
          won't support a heavy load at full voltage, but a security system won't draw enough current to cause great
          voltage loss. It will also allow plugging in a universal motor powered drill or saw, etc, which will draw down
          the voltage some but work fine at somewhat reduced horsepower. Regular motion detector lights can be
          powered, a great security item (I have 9).

The PV solution is complex and introduces you to the new task of battery minding and replacement. Bruce Roe
          +1, The solar is fun to play with and hard not to look at with this small of loads, but for any serious project (the mentioned 24/7 security), I have to go with Bruce on this one, I run a 6W security camera 500' away with solar, but I only need it to work during daylight hours. For this project I would figure out how to run the line, kind of a pain in the rear, but only once instead of an ongoing pain in the rear. The Op mentioned 1 acre, so that should minimize the run(s).

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
            +1, The solar is fun to play with and hard not to look at with this small of loads, but for any serious project (the mentioned 24/7 security), I have to go with Bruce on this one, I run a 6W security camera 500' away with solar, but I only need it to work during daylight hours. For this project I would figure out how to run the line, kind of a pain in the rear, but only once instead of an ongoing pain in the rear. The Op mentioned 1 acre, so that should minimize the run(s).
            Thank you for the thoughts. I should have mentioned digging is where the problem is. Between the building and the proposed camera location is has many obstacles along the way. Depending on where i go, it will be really tough. On one side is the septic tank, in the middle is the leach field, on the other side is a paved drive way and down the middle is a swimming pool. So bringing in any kind of feed would be tough, hence why i am considering solar and wireless for this project.

Comment

If I properly understand your loads, you're saying you have a 250W loadx24hrs? If so, that is a huge system at 6Kwh/day. I'd guess 12-15k to build that off-grid or 60 cents a day to buy from the POCO. Can you state your loads in Kwh per day?
              1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
                If I properly understand your loads, you're saying you have a 250W loadx24hrs? If so, that is a huge system at 6Kwh/day. I'd guess 12-15k to build that off-grid or 60 cents a day to buy from the POCO. Can you state your loads in Kwh per day?
                Hello,

The equiptment i run will be between 100-200 Watts of power @ 120V and run 24/7. Wireless, cameras and switches tend to cost a bit, as i plan to add a few more cameras up later in the year. I went with 250 to give a little extra leeway for temporary high load (boot up, etc).

Comment

Hello,

The equiptment i run will be between 100-200 Watts of power @ 120V and run 24/7. Wireless, cameras and switches tend to cost a bit, as i plan to add a few more cameras up later in the year. I went with 250 to give a little extra leeway for temporary high load (boot up, etc).
                  If you can't go direct burial I would look into an overhead aerial power line. The big cost will be in the number of poles you will have to "plant" but after you add it up I feel using power from the house will be much cheaper than a solar battery system for a daily 6kWh load.

Comment

I get a total of about 28w + small fan, + some future expansion room, I was figuring more in the 70w range x 24hr. Now we are talking 250w x 24hr, that is a whole nother animal, (a very expensive animal)

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
                      I get a total of about 28w + small fan, + some future expansion room, I was figuring more in the 70w range x 24hr. Now we are talking 250w x 24hr, that is a whole nother animal, (a very expensive animal)

Hello,

So if i rearranged things, i could make do with the 70 watts (Geez all this powered on the watts of a light balb).

My problem is that January holds the worst daily isolation at 1.32 where as June has 5.37 (http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/bu...n-vermont.html). That is why some of the overall numbers come out a bit high (darn sun)

So knowing i would be looking at 2.1kwh/day, is that a more reasonable setup?

Comment

Hello,

So if i rearranged things, i could make do with the 70 watts (Geez all this powered on the watts of a light balb).

My problem is that January holds the worst daily isolation at 1.32 where as June has 5.37 (http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/bu...n-vermont.html). That is why some of the overall numbers come out a bit high (darn sun)

So knowing i would be looking at 2.1kwh/day, is that a more reasonable setup?
                        Every watt counts with a "limited" system, so yes that is a big difference, any practical way to do the overhead or conduit tied to a fence or something? For solar it is still going to be significant since you have to size the system for that rotten January number (if you need the system to work in January) Most peoples systems use less at night when occupants are sleeping. Your system has to generate enough power on the worst "day" to carry it through the entire 24 hours. Ballpark it looks like anything less than 1500W worth of panels (x 1.32) won't generate 2KW per day that you may need. My router, and (1) camera, and radio injector, all had nameplate wattages that added up to about 65W, I plugged them all into a Kill-O-Watt meter and it shows total draw quite a bit less than that (about 39W). The actual load you need to run is the key to figuring it out, so now to take the next step (if you cant find a way to get the 12/3 over there) you need a watt meter and plug in all devices and take some 24hour readings. good luck

Comment

I would think about just putting some basic cameras out there, each with a wireless link and good
                          antennas at both ends. My cameras will operate directly from a 12V battery, quite low power. Put
                          everything else near an AC outlet. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                          X