48 volt mppt controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 volt mppt controller

I''m looking for the least expensive mppt unit I can find just for an experiment with 1 or 2 panels.

I was looking at the KID but wanted to get one less expensive.

Any recomendations

I think morningstar may have something. (whoops - their small one only goes to 24V)
    http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunsaver-mppt/
    48V does not really have any budget stuff. The Kid may be the best deal.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Without knowing more about your project I am not sure if this will work, but there is a brand new Genasun MPPT on fleabay with a current bid of .99 cents, and a buy it now of 110.00 (free shipping), it is a boost controller, it will let you use 1 or 2 panels with Isc not to exceed 8A (keep Voc under 63v total) and it is made to charge 48v battery bank? It is made in USA

Comment

Originally posted by LETitROLL View Post
        Without knowing more about your project I am not sure if this will work, but there is a brand new Genasun MPPT on fleabay with a current bid of .99 cents, and a buy it now of 110.00 (free shipping), it is a boost controller, it will let you use 1 or 2 panels with Isc not to exceed 8A (keep Voc under 63v total) and it is made to charge 48v battery bank? It is made in USA
        A boost controller? So the input voltage must be less than 48V, ruling out anything but panels in parallel?
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

If you look at that Genasun contact the seller and make sure it is the 48v capable model, it says it is in the description, but the picture says 12v, both the photo and description appear to be generic (not actual photo from seller), and everything might be just fine, but I would double check with the seller before buying/bidding. The pic on Genasun website shows 48v on battery hookup terminals, they show retail at $119.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
            A boost controller? So the input voltage must be less than 48V, ruling out anything but panels in parallel?
            His original question says 1 or 2 panels, so any single panel, or any (2) 12v panels in series i believe would work (device input max = 63 Voc). Not sure what he is trying to do but he seemed like price was a big deal, and this looks pretty good if he doesnt need a lot of panel(s). Device shows 325 or 350W max.

Comment

His original question says 1 or 2 panels, so any single panel, or any (2) 12v panels in series i believe would work (device input max = 63 Voc). Not sure what he is trying to do but he seemed like price was a big deal, and this looks pretty good if he doesnt need a lot of panel(s). Device shows 325 or 350W max.
              I was just questioning the description as a boost controller. It is capable of boosting, but if it has a max input of 63V DC it must also have a buck mode of operation, or else it switches from MPPT to PWM operation when the input voltage goes above the battery voltage.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                I was just questioning the description as a boost controller. It is capable of boosting, but if it has a max input of 63V DC it must also have a buck mode of operation, or else it switches from MPPT to PWM operation when the input voltage goes above the battery voltage.
                That caught my eye also, I think those have a pretty good reputation for efficiency, but you bring up a good question, It might work really well for him for the money IF it operates in MPPT mode, if it Kicks into PWM under certain conditions (amount of boost, or cut) then a person would want to know about those conditions.

Comment

What is the normal top range for bulk charging of 48v Lead Acid battery bank? about 58 V?

Comment

If you look at that Genasun contact the seller and make sure it is the 48v capable model,
                    Why? Just note the model number and go to Gensun website and download the spec. The controller is made for golf carts.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      Why? Just note the model number and go to Gensun website and download the spec. The controller is made for golf carts.
                      I ran the Model number, and It comes out right, but the picture on sellers listing is different than the one on manufactures site, probably just a file photo issue.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, I prefer to use one panel (rather than two) at least 200 watts but can be 260 watts or so.

The Gensun is $189 for the 48V, less than the Kid,

I'll call them next week at GenSun

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                          Thanks for all the input, I prefer to use one panel (rather than two) at least 200 watts but can be 260 watts or so.
                          I am just curious to hear how you are going to get 48volts out of one panel? Are there 48 volt panels in 250 Watts?

Comment

Originally posted by mschulz View Post
                            I am just curious to hear how you are going to get 48volts out of one panel? Are there 48 volt panels in 250 Watts?
                            Gensum controller is a Boost Controller.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                            X