Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pleppik View Post
    That's brilliant....

Too bad my doorbell transformer is hardwired and I can't plug it in to a Kill-a-Watt. I'd be curious to know how much of a phantom load that is.

I think my doorbell gets rung about once every two weeks (I live in a quiet neighborhood). If the transformer pulls just 1W in standby, that's 0.336 kWh for each time the doorbell rings. Enough to make a full pot of coffee.

Maybe I could just replace it with a pull-cord, like on the Addams Family.
    Umm couldnt you just get rid of the doorbell and install a knocker on the door....

Sorry could not resist the sarcasm.
    [B]N00B[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel72 View Post
      Umm couldnt you just get rid of the doorbell and install a knocker on the door....

Sorry could not resist the sarcasm.
      +1. May need a really big knocker if the owner is hard of hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
        +1. May need a really big knocker if the owner is hard of hearing.
        Sort of reminds me of my first wife, except her hearing was very good.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
          Sort of reminds me of my first wife, except her hearing was very good.
          Off topic but funny anyway.

Comment

I'm all for conservation in our modern, wasteful world - but spending a few dollars a month (or adding a extra solar panel) is worth it to me for the conveniences that save me time, effort, hassle, and most of all - remembering to do something at the right time. I'm busy and can easily convert all those wasted minutes into serving my customers better which translates into them serving me better. The big reason for going solar (to me) is to have clean, renewable, abundant power without feeling bad about where its coming from. Its not just about the money (although my system has already paid for itself and I'm running on free sunshine). I know, I know - I'm still using power from the grid at night and being subsidized through net metering by the other rate payers. I'm also breathing in their polluted air, and eating fish polluted by Fukashima etc, etc.
            Lets not get carried away, obsessing about tiny loads.
            BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
              I know - I'm still using power from the grid at night and being subsidized through net metering by the other rate payers. I'm also breathing in their polluted air, and eating fish polluted by Fukashima etc, etc.
              So the pollution is from everyone else? Even though the electrical share of that pollution is rather small. Come on!

My solar thermal system just went belly up - it will not be replaced by another - I'll get a heat pump style hot water heater.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                I'm all for conservation in our modern, wasteful world - but spending a few dollars a month (or adding a extra solar panel) is worth it to me for the conveniences that save me time, effort, hassle, and most of all - remembering to do something at the right time. I'm busy and can easily convert all those wasted minutes into serving my customers better which translates into them serving me better. The big reason for going solar (to me) is to have clean, renewable, abundant power without feeling bad about where its coming from. Its not just about the money (although my system has already paid for itself and I'm running on free sunshine). I know, I know - I'm still using power from the grid at night and being subsidized through net metering by the other rate payers. I'm also breathing in their polluted air, and eating fish polluted by Fukashima etc, etc.
                I am glad your system is sized properly for your usage.

Although a number of people come here asking if the system that they were told to get by some salesperson that meets 100% of their usage is the right size.

I would rather get people to find ways to eliminate some of their load (including those vampire ones which can add up) so that when they install a pv system which has been sized properly for their true usage and not over-sized to cover a lot of waste. That can save someone a few thousand up front by not adding in those 4 extra panels they really didn't need. IMO less usage will contribute to lowering the Utilities requirements to provide more energy which can lead to reducing some of that polluted air.

Comment

This is a free country (supposedly), so do as you wish. Living in a free country, I, and perhaps some others choose to exercise some of that freedom by lowering usage before looking for other ways to meet our needs.

If my needs are lower, I guess it meets a need I apparently have to feel (falsely, I'm quite sure) more self reliant.

Probably closer to the truth, all these load reduction efforts may impart a bit less reliance the POCO.

Practical and more tangible results are that I've got more $$ in my pocket, maybe live a bit less hand to mouth, and I'm less affected by rate increases.

Just a lifestyle choice, but I seem to bitch less about paying for stuff I actually (still) waste than a lot of my neighbors, or others, who complain about things they'd actually see they have some control over were they less myopic about life and choices.

IMO only, a lot of those folks are too mentally and physically slothful to do anything about it except repeat what they're spoon fed by the media, peddlers, neighbors and friends who are telling them - in effect, it's OK to ignorantly, arrogantly and profligately waste things, and then throw expensive toys at the self induced and perceived large electric bills, and then brag about it.

I guess free also means free to stay ignorant and do stuff probably not in one's best long term interests.

Sheeple.

Comment

Working...
                  X