fla batteries in a battery box inside your home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fla batteries in a battery box inside your home

Due to temperature extreme in Michigan I am interested in keeping my batteries in a vented to outside box in my basement to keep them warm in winter and cool in summer between 58 and 72 does anyone know of any drugs from having flooded lead acid batteries my first concern would be fair my second concern would be Noxious vapor.

Either use AGM cost twice as much last half as long as FLA, or just vent outside. Under heavy charge the batteries can gas hydrogen and it smells like rotten eggs. Not toxic but can be explosive under the right conditions.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Either use AGM cost twice as much last half as long as FLA, or just vent outside. Under heavy charge the batteries can gas hydrogen and it smells like rotten eggs. Not toxic but can be explosive under the right conditions.
      The vented gas smells like rotten eggs, but that is from H2S and other sulfur compounds, not the hydrogen (and oxygen) itself.
      Regardless of the source, you do not want any of the smell to get inside because the sulfur compounds are potentially toxic as well as annoying.
      There may be some acid mist in the vent gas too, so watch what materials you use for the box and vent pipes.
      Unpainted wood is not a good idea, for example, nor any metal that will be corroded by sulfuric acid.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

When I was drawing plans for our setup, I started with an outside shed for our stuff. But after including a heating system for that shed, we moved it inside our home.

Every home in our town that uses solar or wind power, has their stuff inside their home.

When I have toured other homes here, I have not noticed any smell from the battery-banks.

I suspect composting toilets would possibly smell more.
        4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Originally posted by organic farmer View Post
          When I was drawing plans for our setup, I started with an outside shed for our stuff. But after including a heating system for that shed, we moved it inside our home.

Every home in our town that uses solar or wind power, has their stuff inside their home.

When I have toured other homes here, I have not noticed any smell from the battery-banks.

I suspect composting toilets would possibly smell more.
          Something to think about if there is a lack of odor around the battery bank. It could be because there is enough natural venting allowing the fumes to escape.

The other reason might be do to lack of proper charging current so the battery acid never "boils" to release any gas. Those batteries may be stagnating due to the charge rate (C/x) being too long.

The best time of getting acid fumes would be when the batteries are being EQ'd.

Comment

If you smell anything you are over charging.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X